Second Blog Post – Normandy – American Cemetary

Being a World War II enthusiast, and having seen Saving Private Ryan, I knew that the American Cemetery at Normandy would be a sight to see. However, I truly had no idea how powerful actually walking the grounds would be. Turning the tree-lined corner and finally getting the whole view of the cemetery was breathtaking, and it was everything I had expected it to be and more. The picturesque cemetery itself, overlooking a beach and beautifully manicured, is such a contrast to the fate of those 9,387 men buried there.

Walking amongst the white headstones, both Crosses and Stars of David, it truly hit me the absolute courage and selflessness of the heroes whose war ended there. Coming so far across the sea to fight for and liberate a people who they didn’t know is the greatest example of selflessness. Putting myself in their shoes was arguably the most powerful experience I’ve had in Normandy. Knowing that they all had hopes of getting through so terrible a war alive, yet knowing that they may not come home and yet undertaking the massive task of liberating Europe anyways takes courage I don’t know I have. Thinking about these men crossing the English Channel on ships and planes to fight for our country and the fact that they would never return gave me chills.

Originally walking the grounds with a few members of the group, I eventually split off to walk alone among the headstones. The American Cemetery at Normandy is truly a place where one has to be alone with their thoughts to experience the power of the sacrifice and heroism of the men buried there. It truly makes one proud to be an American knowing our country undertook the great task of liberating the world from tyranny, coming to the aid of all those freedom-loving people of Europe. Putting their lives on the line to ensure the freedom of people they would never meet or know, these men are nothing short of heroes.

The most powerful moment of my whole experience at the American Cemetery at Normandy was at the top of the hour, where the National Anthem was played, as well as the first few verses of “Taps”. Having never seen or experienced a military funeral in person, hearing that famous song and being where I was sent a shiver down my spine. These men were truly part of the “Greatest Generation”.