It’s Time to Forget about the Prescriptivist Approach to Grammar

According to EnglishClub, grammar is “the structure and system of a language, or of languages in general, usually considered to consist of syntax and morphology”.

And within that realm, the prescriptivist approach to grammar is the belief that there are correct and incorrect ways to use grammar, the correct version being inherently superior. This has been used countless times with Standard American English, which is the way that the “American” accent is supposed to sound. If you would like an example, I immediately think of the way that newscasters speak.

The problem here is that in the prescriptivist approach, it is easy to use language, both of the written and verbal variety, as a way to invalidate someone’s argument or intelligence level.

We’re all seen Facebook or Twitter fights where someone makes an argument, and then someone else refutes their argument by simply correcting their usage of “their” or “your”. Even in 2010, when the Grabill study was conducted, they found that first year college students ranked instant messaging, commenting on status updates or posts, and status message updates within the top 10 of their most common writing outlets (5).

It’s possible that some of us or our peers have used this prescriptivist approach to grammar as a way to refute someone else’s arguments online.

I know that I have. If I’m being honest, I did think that grammar was a valid way to argue with someone. But now I know better.

In doing this, I was using grammar as a weapon against others as a way to completely discount their argument. I invalidated people based on their education, instead of their points.

I’m here to say that it is 2021 and things need to change. It is time for all of us to approach grammar descriptively. According to ThoughtCo., “Descriptivism involves observing and analyzing, without passing too much judgment, the habits and practices within speech communities, focusing on language users and uses without attempting to get them to modify their language according to standards external to the language itself”.

Essentially, we need to view the way people write and speak through the lens of empathy. Instead of judging someone’s incorrect usage of “I” or “me”, we should take in their message.

Feel free to argue with someone online, but avoid using grammar as one of your weapons. As a society, we need to be better, and I think this would be a huge step forward.