Manufacturing Process

Wilson takes great pride in the manufacturing process of the football.   According to Wilson Sports “Production is done by hand as they cut the highest quality cowhide panels, sew the panels inside out, steam them soft enough to turn, and lace precise enough to throw tight spirals” (Wilson.com).

Upon the arrival of the cowhides from the feedlot the leather is tanned and stamped with the trademark “W” of the Wilson symbol (Wilson.com).  Then the ball is sewn inside out by the sewer at the Wilson Factory, the ball is given to a turner who steams the leather to soften it then turns it back right side out (Marrota, 2012).  Next the football receives a bladder and is laced up by hand (Marrota, 2012).  Finally, the ball is molded, measured and inspected (Marrota 2012).  Each ball for the NFL is slightly different depending on quarterback preference in terms of PSI and wear on the ball (Marrota 2012).

In total the Wilson football factory employees 120 people who work by hand to make the footballs a quality product.  In Ada, Ohio there is only a population of 5,823.  This is 2% of the entire town working for the company and a much larger percent with family working for the company.  This factory has given a huge job site for the people of the town.  It helps the economy of the town greatly by choosing this to be the manufacturing site.  After Ohio Northern University, the factory is Ada’s second largest employer.

According to a New York Times article on Wilson football factory, workers are paid by the piece and are in  a union. Wilson did not disclose how much the employees made, but according to a few employees they said they made a good wage for the place where they live (Thomas, 2008).

getimage.aspxPhoto: Thread- Wilson Football Factory

5 thoughts on “Manufacturing Process

1. My son was given a gift of one of your NFL “Duke” pro footballs that his mom purchased from Amazon. The ball Has been in his show display case. The other day he took it out after watching a you-tube video with instructions how to prep the ball for use. Well, It messed his ball up, it has no grip, color is distorted and he is upset that anyone would provide information that would destroy his dream football. They should take this video down!
    I explained, if there is anything t know about your products, the manufacture is the go to place.
    He was trying to get his ball looking like the NFL game balls do after polished or waxed.
    $127.00 down the drain.

If there is information for this process, can you share if or tell me where I can go to get the right information.
    Thanks for all you do as a company,

Ronald

2. I worked there back in the early 70’s. I buffed balls and bid to work behind the rack. Hard work. I would like to tour the factory if I can.
    Nancy Spencer
    4192031518 please call and let me know if this is possible.

Nancy Spencer
    8500 Liberty Union Road
    Van Wert, Ohio 45891

3. I have a serious issue with this company, i ordered a football from you guys and it said it was shipped but the delivery driver never dropped it off, you guys scammed me, i want my money back

4. Why doesn’t Ohio State use Wilson footballs? I realize there are a lot of negotiations that take place, but I’d like to see them use a ball produced in Ohio.