Study Abroad/Internship in the Canadian Parliament-Rollin Bresson

My STEP Project entailed traveling to Ottawa, Canada to participate in the Canadian Parliamentary Internship Program. During this experience, I lived in dorms at the University of Ottawa and worked full time in the Office of Borys Wrzesnewskyj, Member of Parliament. I worked doing research for Borys, handling correspondence and office duties, and drafting statements, letters, and even a Private Member’s Bill that will hopefully be introduced to the House of Commons during the current session. I also got to extensively explore Ottawa, travel to Quebec City and Montreal in French speaking Quebec, and visit Toronto for a day.

The main way that this experience changed me was through my view of the world and America’s place in it. This was my first time out of the country, and I loved getting to find out how a people with many similar cultural and societal norms viewed us as neighbors. Hearing criticisms of our country from the people of another country brought to light many of the apparent weaknesses that the American system has. Many were things that I had heard of before, but to see an improvement on something we do here manifested in another country really made me understand just why some of our practices are in my opinion deficient. This trip also reinforced for me that I would like to lead a life and career of working for others or for a cause. While this may not be in elected office or in a government position, I found seeing the work of Canadian Parliamentarians and their service to the people of Canada as an inspiration for me in my future endeavors.

The main way that I experienced the transformation that I did was simply by keeping my eyes and ears open as I worked and enjoyed Canada. This was especially true in watching and getting to be a part of the legislative process of the House of Commons every day. Getting to watch Members of Parliaments, Ministers, and especially the staff of my own office taught me a lot about what it means to be a public servant, both the good things and the challenges and difficulties. In talking with different Parliamentarians, especially my own office, I learned a lot about America’s image and significance to others in the world.  This came about not only through their comments on the state of American politics, but through watching them go about their jobs and duties as parliamentarians. I was able to watch Question Period every day, and saw the major issues of the day being debated between both sides. I was amazed at the passion of both sides of the political discourse, but also the civility and respect both sides had for each other. While partisanship obviously played a large role in the discourse in the House of Commons, there also exists a desire to get things done, and try to work together.

Another way in which I learned a great deal about life and politics in general was through my conversations with my fellow interns, both American and Canadian. It was very interesting to find out all the little things that make the Canadian experience as a college student different. It made me look at our education system through a more critical lens, and see the pros and cons of both systems. I also learned a lot by just being able to live and interact with such bright young minds as the people I worked with. It was very worthwhile to be able to learn about the others’ interests within the world of politics, and their passions that drive their interests. I feel like it made me more knowledgeable in so many ways, and informed my interests in the politics and life.

The third way that this trip changed my worldview was by being able to live in and experience a Canadian city, and travel to French Canada. I found that while Ottawa obviously had its problems, it was one of the safest and cleanest cities I have ever been to. It seemed to be avoiding many of the problems plaguing some American cities. It made me think about what Canadians do differently that allows many of their cities to be less violent and cleaner. Traveling to Quebec and specifically Quebec City and Montreal was also an incredible experience in itself. As someone who had never left the country, I was amazed at just how embedded the Francophone culture is there. It was here that I really felt most like I was getting an international experience. Quebec City especially was unlike anything you would find in America. It really gave me an appreciation for the history and the different founding stories of both our nations. This was also true of seeing the prominent place that First Nations (aboriginals) had in Canada. I feel that seeing their issues so well addressed in Canada made me more cognizant of the issues of Native Americans in this country. Getting to experience all of this in one trip made me more appreciative of the different mosaic of cultures of our very similar countries.

This experience definitely helped and transformed me in my pursuit of future academic and professional goals. This was my first hands on application in the world of politics, and gave me a greater sense of direction in my future goals. The idea of working international always interested me, and this experience definitely confirmed my interest in that. Canada served as an excellent first step for me in the process of moving towards that goal. I see this program as being an excellent experience to draw upon as I pursue my goal of working for the State Department in an embassy abroad. I also feel that getting to be so immersed in the political process helped to inform my own passions as well, and make me more aware of them. This immersion helped me to decide to that I really have a lot of interest in the realm of environmental politics. This is the field I would like to work in one day, preferably internationally. Canada is a worldwide leader in IEP, and I learned a great deal both in preparation for this experience and during it. Most importantly, I feel stronger than ever about my desire to have a career in public service, and this experience is most definitely responsible for strengthening that