Posts

Gifting — Origami

Though never a consistent hobby, I have done a lot of origami. It is very easy to find written and video tutorials online and the only required material is paper, making it very accessible. I find that following the instructions, when not too complicated, is a nice way to de-stress and arrive at a satisfying end product. This made origami a perfect choice for the experience I wanted to created.

Looking for simple projects that are engaging but not too difficult, I arrived at a specific YouTube video. I had been looking up ways to make basic shapes or objects  and this star looked very interesting. I have found this same construction method in other places, but used this video as my main tool for learning.

At this point, my goal was to create a custom paper for this origami that held a surprise. Unfolded, it wouldn’t make sense, but sections of a picture would align when finished and reveal an image. I thought that this discovery process would add an extra layer to my gift and be do-able, by reverse engineering the paper shapes, but it didn’t end up working very well. I tried several ways to figure out how the paper folded, making stars and coloring surfaces,

pasting pictures (Meredith had provided a cute photo of her cat, which I really wanted to use and am attaching to a star here!),

Despite all the tests, it still seemed that I wasn’t close to figuring out how to do this, though. The flatter side of the star, which would be the better canvas, had parts of both paper sides on it. This meant that the picture would have to be printed in parts double-sided, if I wanted it to work. Also a problem would be the slight variations in folds that occurred naturally, no matter how precise you were trying to be. The reveal of a image, all along, would be very interesting to achieve, but seemed nearly impossible to get right. I was now quite tired of the meddling and decided that creating a custom, patterned paper for the origami could be just as fun.

Using the same image of my giftee’s pet, I began to redraw it in my digital art program. Sketch, lining, and color.

I then moved my transparent drawing into vectornator and tiled it into a pattern.

Placing the tile on an 8.5 x 11 sheet and making it into an 8.5 x 8.5 square, I now had paper that was printable and, with some cutting, ready to be used to fold origami. This solution was also better than the photo pieces, I thought, because it could be used for other origami projects!

Then, I typed up instructions from what I had learned for how to make this star. I tried to be as clear as possible and provide details I wished the video had included. I drew small illustrations of the paper at each step and inserted them into the document as well, for further clarity.

Finally finished, I sent my giftee the instructions file, origami paper file (to be printed), as well as the image of my drawing.

Gifting — Talking with giftee

Although I didn’t get to talk with my gift recipient as much as I would have liked, the conversation that I did have with her through email was really nice. I sent an email introducing myself and asking how she was doing during these rough times, before sending a small list of questions.

What would you say your hobbies are? What do you spend the most time doing, under normal circumstances? And now, during this quarantine?

What are your favorite websites or apps?

What are you most passionate about? A certain philosophy or a cause, a goal of yours, just a favorite movie you’ll defend intensely? :^)

Simply and finally, what’s your favorite color(s)?”

I wanted to keep the questions pretty light and easy to answer while still being able to get a good idea of who she is. I asked first about the things that she does and enjoys, and about internet use specifically, since these gifts now had to be digital. I framed my question about passions in a way that hopefully allowed her to answer with anything. Whatever she answered with would be great information to me! I just wanted some insight into her identity and things that were important to her. I asked about favorite colors last, despite being pretty basic, to hopefully incorporate into my piece.

In return, I got some very nice, well worded and long answers! Rather than being interested in any particular hobby or thing about herself she listed, I saw themes of enjoying trying new things, working with ones hands and creating, and having a love of learning. For a lot of people right now, staying busy has been a way to cope with being isolated, but it is easy to run out of things to do. These two things in mind, I thought that a gift Meredith might like to receive right now would be an experience and chance to make something simple but fun. I wanted to create instructions and guide her through a small craft.

Game Design — Aesthetics and Final

Since I already had characters designed for my storyboard in a cartoonish fashion, and since the subject matter of befriending an odd alien cat was already rather goofy, I wanted to stick with simple, fun aesthetics. Once I decided that the game board would be of space, a solar system, I made a version of it. Planets, the important squares, were defined in bright colors.

Use of movement on a grid as my core mechanic made a lot of sense to me. Not only did it allow for an easily measurable resource of sorts (one that could be split between the characters or increased/decreased with friendship), but it had some relevance to my story. The characters’ movement from place to place in the story was a driver of the plot and important to its sense of space. In my storyboard the astronaut is shown approaching a planet, walking through its open land, back at the landed spaceship, and leaving the atmosphere with their new friend. This connection of themes wasn’t a main point, but something that helped the game to feel even more tied to the previous narrative.

As for how movement would occur, I wanted to use mechanics that’d introduce more choice and complexity. So far my game was fairly simple. Entirely random mechanics, like dice rolls, wouldn’t do.
From here I arrived at the idea of move patterns and choosing from several cards. Using the grid I had decided on and specific paths through the squares shown visually, I wanted the characters to have decks of cards the draw their movement options from. With separate decks, I could even control the relative abilities of the two characters.

These decks, unlike other mechanics for moving, would become more predicable to the players over time, as they learn what kinds of cards are most and least common to draw. The way I decided for them to be drawn was three at a time, with the player choosing just one to use that round. See 3 cards discard 2 means the decks would have to come with many cards, but it gradually gives players lots of information. Each draw / move cycle would be part of a round. In just a few rounds, they can probably tell what the most common movement patterns are, allowing them to plan around what they will probably get to do next turn.

At this point, I had decided that the main goal was to visit all the planet squares. If the alien’s only ability/purpose was the combining mechanic and I didn’t want the two characters to feel entirely separate aspects of the game, I needed to limit its ability. Then, it could likely not be the sole contributor to getting the characters together to become friends. The alien’s deck of movement would be mostly shorter paths, compared to the astronaut.

The other main technology my game needed was game pieces for the characters.

Though it wasn’t impactful to the game, I thought the idea of the flat character images being held in stands that look like spacecraft was really fun!
With all the colors already going on in the board, I decided that limited palettes for these objects was best. Red and blue being classic “opposite colors”, I thought it was a nice contrast between them. If combined, I decided, a different figure could be used to display that.

Since this is them together, I chose a purple as if their colors had mixed. In all of this, I tried to adjust the colors to be different enough from the planets to be distinguishable as unrelated uses of color.

While visiting all six planet tokens was the win state, the lose state, I decided, would be based on a round limit. Like an amount of months that the astronaut and space maintenance worker would be expected to be finished in, the player would only have so many rounds. This number was initially 10, but with 6 planets, this would require the player to move directly from planet square to planet square to succeed. This, I didn’t think, should or would be possible. I instead went with 14, so that the astronaut had 2 rounds per planet or so, plus extra. If developing this game beyond concept, this (and the movement cards) would require a lot of testing to get right!

Finally, finishing up my design document, I decided on the working title of ”Friendships”. Though pretty cheesy and a pun on spaceships, I thought it worked as an extension of the light hearted feel and summation of theme.

Game Design — Exercises & Initial ideas

The theme that I identified within my narrative, very easily, was companionship. My story was fairly simple, the final storyboard especially being quite paired down, but was clearly about a character’s life being improved by embracing a new connection in an odd, alien friend/pet.

Though the story concludes with the characters becoming friends, I decided fairly quickly that uniting the characters would not be the final goal of my game. Much more interesting, I thought, would be to allow the players the option to ignore friendship, but use mechanics to encourage it. If the astronaut and alien being together were mechanically beneficial to the player, not only would they be more likely to seek it out, but the idea of the alien creature soothing the astronaut’s loneliness in the story would be represented.

In order to do this, I needed a system I could reward a friendly player through and another final goal, which I found in the idea that the astronaut was on a work mission when they found the alien.

Since there were two characters, I considered a game where one player is the astronaut and the other the alien. The idea of a cooperative board game was interesting to me, but I again had a goal problem. If I were taking inspiration from the astronaut maintenance worker job, what would the alien player be doing? How would the characters functionally “become friends”? What would that mean for the characters? My thought was that befriended characters would move together as one, so would players have to share power over the path of the game to gain the benefits? A single player game, by contrast, would easily allow for control of the characters being more fluid. The two could move as one, a team, sometimes and be separate at others.

Dynamic Page — Final

Since my sketches had quite a bit of detail and the draft booklet was quite small, I sized the final object up about 1.5x. I constructed it carefully and re-sketched my visuals, mirrored and with a few tweaks for clarity in the story.

I had previously used the pull tab as a fifth panel, allowing the outwards pull motion to communicate the same motion of the figure leaving their house. Now, the pull tab would be going inward / being covered up as the panels progressed. To further represent time progressing and the idea of morning routine, I decided to simply place sunrise colors on the tab. As the panels flip, purple becomes orange becomes a normal blue. This transition used more of the covering motion than the inward one, but was hopefully still innovating on this extra space the tab provided.

I traced each panel onto tracing paper and colored them like the draft. In this process, I eliminated a few smaller shapes I felt would be difficult to cut and weren’t necessary to communicate the scene

I redrew each piece on the correctly colored paper and layered.

Because of the bulk of the many paper layers, the piece which held down the pull tab began to tear after just a few uses. It wasn’t a very visible section, however, and only required some tape reinforcement to work well again. I had been very worried about how the paper framework of the piece would react once there was more weight, so this being the only issue was very exciting.

Final motion and transition!

Dynamic Page — Mechanics

My first plan for a page used only simple slide tab mechanics. With holes in the top of a sheet in the shape of eyes + sliding pupils underneath, I planned to make my figure’s eyes move to look at a clock. Then, a second panel of visuals showing the figure leaving the house could be revealed from underneath. I liked this small, two step transition as a representation of just before one leaves the house (for school, work, etc.). Checking my phone or completing some idle task in the time before I know I have to go is a nice way for me to pause and collect myself, but then I realize the time and must get out the door.

I digitally sketched my visuals and was able to simulate the eye movement. I really liked this mechanic, since it seemed to bring so much life to the person on the screen!

Testing mechanics, I tried some flaps and pull tabs in eye form

First attempt: With the tab through a slit in the two layers, I thought it would be quite stable but the method I used to control pull/push meant it wasn’t. The guiding strip that I creased at the points I wanted it to stop would pretty frequently get out of line and it required some vertical space to move.

Second attempt: I cut a track in the back panel and inserted tabs from pull strip tabs to run inside it. This made for much nicer movement.

Despite these mechanics physically working, I had to consider how they meshed with the transition I was expressing. The sliding eyes was representational of actual eye movement / the act of noticing, and the motion of pulling the second panel out from underneath would echo the character’s movement towards and out the door. However, the final state of my page would be two panels, side by side. This, the sum of the two mechanics, would not tell the story I wanted, I decided.

Exploring YouTube tutorials on paper mechanics, I found one card making video that really intrigued me. The flipping of the pages was really impressive and seemed to allow for several panels of images, flashed in succession.
Following the clear instructions, but omitting the front page that made the item into a card, I constructed a draft.
\
Sketched and colors a variety of scenes, my transition now going:
Checking phone before you have to leave —> Realizing the time —> Thinking about the day and gathering your things —> Being ready to leave and, finally, (on the revealed space of the pulled out tab) —> Leaving home
Since I had bought specific paper for this project by this point, I found similarly colored markers and colored in where the pieces would go.

I really enjoyed the look of this draft, but found that in pulling the tab out, the pages would often stick together and fail to flip properly. When flipping back, resetting the page, there wasn’t such a problem. I decided to flip the direction of movement and mirror the visuals in the final for this reason.

Narrative — Storyboard

Planning for each panel. I had to simplify the plot and think quite a bit about how I could convey certain information in only visuals (Facial expressions were especially important), and ended up using all ten allowed panels.
As someone who draws digitally a lot, I was happy to get to use the medium for this project, but I did have to adjust my usual working habits. Using inspiration from surrealism was certainly new, and I tried to pull from the movement while still working in my own voice.

Beginning sketches and first color. Since these were messy, I re-lined each panel to clean things up.

Certain hand positions took a few attempts to get right.

Beyond using desaturated/saturated colors for the lonely spaceship vs living planet, I used a yellow for the creature to represent friendship. Around the climax— the creature appearing at the protagonist’s door and she thinking about letting it come with her— I tried to use higher levels of contrast and value range.

Narrative — Art style and Movement

I had quite a difficult time choosing a visual style for my work. In tone, I thought of my story as both light hearted and somewhat sad. The interior of the spacecraft, for example, was meant to be claustrophobic and dark, but the outside planet was bright and time spent with the creature pleasant and happy.

The first styles I explored were fauvism and toyism, both very bright, colorful movements.
In the complete opposite direction, a movement like classicism would provide the darkness I wanted, I thought.

Neither of these extremes seemed right, though, and I felt a bit lost. With some guidance, I started thinking about the movie WALL-E as similar in mine to tone. This story, though dealing with some serious themes and having some grungy visuals, is still fun like all Pixar films. It also shares the genre, meaning there would be some overlaps in content.

From this inspiration, I was able to identify surrealism as the right range of color and value, as well as having interesting properties of large, open spaces and dreamlike distortions to be drawn from.

Narrative — Short Story

Because I was having a hard time writing, I ran with the first idea I was able to come up with and tried to have fun writing! The story I came up with featured a lonely protagonist who stumbled across a seemingly healthy, but three-headed kitten. Though she is initially a bit scared and disgusted by it, she takes it in and becomes endeared to it. The local shelter tells her they can’t take it in, so she does so herself, having gained a new friend.

The genres I chose to rewrite in were Sci Fi, Horror, and Mystery

Because I found myself writing so many extra words and taking so long on my first story, I just wrote synopses for each genre. I think this decision was good, since fully writing these stories would have been more time consuming than the extra detail was worth. I still got a very strong visual in my head of each and knew the plots well.
Of all these genre stories, I enjoyed the Sci Fi the most. It was also the most similar in plot to the original, but the genre allowed for changes in setting and character that made for an even stronger narrative. A lonely apartment could become an isolated spacecraft, and a strange, mutated kitten could become an alien creature. I was immediately very excited to visualize this story.