About Me

20160614_152647 (1)20160803_094530~2

Hello everyone! My name is Joyce Smith, and I am a freshman Pre-Major for Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering. I love anything that relates to space and flying (obviously), but I also foster a love for biology and dance. My high school alma mater is called the School for Creative and Performing Arts, in which my major was Dance. My training was focused more towards the arts, but there was always an expectation of academic excellence.

I am an extremely curious person, and always looking for something new to learn. This summer I worked as a Biomedical Research Intern at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center, within the Division of Neonatology and Pulmonary Biology. The picture above shows me in the Animal Room, checking the genetically modified mice for vaginal plugs (a biological reaction to conception).

I am an Environment and Natural Resources Scholar, mostly because I have a deep love and appreciation for our beautiful planet. The Earth is a very unique planet, and so interesting to learn about. I have always loved everything about nature; the air, the sunshine, the sky, the grass, the trees, the beauty in general…I believe in working every day toward sustaining and preserving our environment, starting with the simple act of recycling.

My future goals within ENR Scholars include spending more time in nature, learning more about our planet, and finding new ways to preserve our natural resources. My long-term goals (extremely long-term) include engineering a telescope that could travel the deeper parts of the galaxy for further space discovery, and designing a space vehicle that could transport astronauts into deep space to explore the galaxy and beyond.

I have learned so much already, and I know that I continue to learn so much more, especially within ENR Scholars. I am so excited to be able to take advantage of all that Ohio State has to offer.

2 thoughts on “About Me

1. That’s awesome that you went to an arts high school like that. My best friend in high school did that for 3 years, and I know how hard it is! That is awesome that you already have long term goals and have had an internships already. You’re way ahead of me!

2. You do not seem to have changed a lot of the things in the layout of your e-portfolio, but that’s alright. Why did you chose the photo for you banner, and what does it mean to you?