Day 18 – June 16, 2015

This morning in the KHMS hospital, we had a patient that was severely dehydrated and had to be put in ICU. Although I never like to see a patient in critical condition, the scene let us see the emergency center of the hospital, which was the most advanced equipment I have seen here. In comparison, the ICU of the hospital is less high tech than a normal hospital room in the States. Not much happened the rest of the day, but I did get very interested in the field of cardiology in developing countries. Since last year working in the emergency room, I have wanted to go into cardiology, but I also would like to work in developing countries. My biggest worry was that I would not be able to do both because cardiology may not be prevalent in these nations. Reading some journals today, I was able to discover that the transition in developing nations from malnutrition and unsanitary conditions to more modern practices is increasing the life expectancy of the people. Living longer lives increases the death toll due to heart disease, creating an importance for cardiology. This transition is taking place in regions of India, Southwest Asia, and sub-Saharan Africa, and other places around the world. Anywhere in the world, seeing a cardiologist is very expensive. Given this, working for nominal fees as a cardiologist in these countries is the only way these people will get such specific care. The best feeling I have known is when your dreams start to fall into place, and today was such a day. Adding to that, we are surrounded by the culture of Hinduism. So I will be talking about some of that throughout the weeks.

Causes of death in low to middle income countries - Gaziano

Causes of death in low to middle income countries – Gaziano

Gaziano, Thomas A. “Cardiovascular Disease in the Developing World and Its Cost-effective Management.” American Heart Association (2005): n. pag. Web. 17 June 2015.

My favorite Hindu idol - Ganesh

My favorite Hindu idol – Ganesh