Day 56 – July 24, 2015

Washing hands at Nathanael Crèche

Washing hands at Nathanael Crèche

It has been awhile since I have blogged due to my Northern India Trip and being busy with last minute activities. I’ll talk about my trip to Delhi and the surrounding region this weekend. This last week I was able to spend time in Nathanael Crèche during the morning. Having the opportunity to see how the kids learn and play each day was very revealing as to why the crèches are so critical to the children’s development. First and foremost are the teachers that work in the preschools. These ladies are discipline the kid’s more than I have witnessed. Whether it be straightening them out for fighting or not staying in line, the place is run like an army camp in some instances. But when a child is down or they need a mother’s care, the ladies do all that they can to bring happiness and encouragement to the kids. The balance between the discipline and love the kids receive is remarkable and can only be given by people that give their heart and soul to the children.

The Pasam Trust Crew

The Pasam Trust Crew

One of the nicest nurses at Pasam

One of the nicest nurses at Pasam

Dr. Susheel

Dr. Susheel

Group picture with the amazing Salene

Group picture with the amazing Salene

Today was my last day at Pasam Trust and my last day in the hospitals altogether. Although the hospitals were not as busy as I expected, the experience was unforgettable. After spending so much time with Dr. Mas, Raja, Dr. Arun, Dr. Susheel, and the nurses, it was hard to believe that I have to just pack up and leave. I am not sure exactly how many patients I was able to interact with, but the number of lives I saw changed by just a stethoscope and some medicine was astounding. Being able to impact lives so directly is something not able to be done in many other professions. Working with the patients has filled me with priceless medical perspectives and lessons learned, as well as motivation that will carry me through any obstacles that arise on my way back to these patients. Helping them is a dream, and partially a responsibility, in my eyes.