Pre-Departure

Chile is going to be excellent. Having already traveled to South America before, I am very interested in studying the city in comparison to Rio de Janeiro. There are so many lines of symmetry between the two cultural capitals: an urban landscape interrupted by natural barriers, a political climate marked by active protests, and a recent breakout into the world architecture stage. I am excite to tease out the unique nuances of Santiago and Chile.

Being a senior is going to be a fun experience on this trip as well. I remember looking up to the presence of Brett and Sarah, two upperclassmen on my first study abroad, and opening up in response to their easygoing attitude. I hope that I can bring that example to the Santiago group, living that balance of discipline and fun around my peers.

Culturally, I want to investigate the country’s history of colonialism and Catholicism and its response and remixing today. I have always been interested in how the Midwest’s contemporary culture has been shaped by colonial visions of the landscape, and I have seen evidence of a similar relationship between modern-day Chile and Spanish colonialism. It is perhaps the tension of this and other forces that gravitates me to the culture of Santiago, and South America as a whole.

I can’t believe it’ll be less than a day before I’ll be looking over a plane wing on Chilean ground. I am humbled at the opportunity to commune with this group as we read the urban cursive of Santiago together.