Culture or Language Course

Class: Japanese 2102.02

Class Description:

The language class in Japanese is very comprehensive. Students will use the language book that will provide all the information such as the grammar, words, meaning, and scenarios. These scenarios that are in the book is what the students will have to memorize and perform the scene in class with their classmates. Aside from utilizing the book, there is also an online tool that will allow students to watch the scenarios and how these scenes are being played. The curriculum also includes students to have completed the assignments each day. The professors create an atmosphere that is kind of similar when you face the same challenges when a student is in Japan. The everyday role-play allows students to pay close attention and is forced to remember the scenes critically and accurately. Since Japanese is one of the toughest languages, the class requires meeting five days a week, which allows students to get to know their peers and help each other perform in a more comfortable way.

Class Reflection:

I learned so much in this class. Since the beginning of my freshmen year, I did not exactly know what I wanted to major in. So, I had Japanese and Linguistics as my double major at that time. I took the Japanese level 1 and the comprehensive level 2 during the summer when I was freshmen. I had the biggest adoration of Japan and its language. I learn to read and write in Hiragana, Katakana, and some basic Kanji. I also learned to speak basic Japanese. As time passes, I had the opportunity to visit Japan and live there every year for at least three months. I realized that I did not need to take any more Japanese class as I can improve my Japanese as I go on. During my sophomore year, I had one class in regards to the environment where we had to read an article about the plastic debris in the ocean and its impacts to aquatic wildlife. After I read the article, I was all worked up, sad, and furious all at the same time and thought that I needed to do something. That burning passion was what pushed me to drop all my enrolled classes for the following semester and changed everything. I knew my strengths and discovered my weaknesses as I go on with my college journey. I knew that I did not want to do any medical related as I get weak when I see too much blood. I also knew that although I get good grades in my math classes, I was not at my happiest when I did them, so business was not an option for me. That was when I discovered that the OSU offers a couple of environmental related majors. I chose to major Environmental Policy specializing international policy and law. Eventually, I added my minor in environmental science focusing on water science. These milestones were necessary for me to eventually study abroad in Australia, and in the Dominican Republic. My first year was my year of discovery, and I am still glad that I took Japanese classes because every time I visit Japan, I am confident that if I get lost, I will find my way and survive. This class also was my stepping-stone to discovering what I wanted to pursue and this burning passion is still as strong as ever. The Japanese language is still very useful for me, and I never stopped learning the language. I also expanded my cultural diversity while living in Japan, which gave me the confidence to study abroad as well. While I was in Japan, I adopted a behavior that I don’t think will ever go away –proper segregation of trash and recycling. The language, the cultural knowledge, the environmental awareness will always help me think in different perspectives, which will help me in any of my future endeavor in policymaking.