Proposal for 2nd half of semester

My proposal for advance painting is an extension from what I have already completed 

for the TBD exhibition. My portrait series was rooted in the idea of recreating 70’s

Ebony magazine pages. I am really interested in the 70’s/80’s era, and the glamour that

was apparent upon that time period. My mother has archived a collection from magazines

from her era of the 70’s and I had the opportunity to keep these magazines to get a true

sense of the time period of my mother’s era. I am also interested in this theme because

Since the start of Covid-19 I have been going out less with friends and staying in the 

house more. But I miss the process of “going out”. I miss the process of putting on 

makeup, picking out my outfit and doing my hair and just going to events. I have been 

able to feel this void with my advanced painting project and this has made me feel very

passionate for this series. 

This process from the very first three portraits I have made has been a learning 

experience. I am still creating and taking note of what is working, and what is not

working within my paintings. The research includes looking at the magazines my 

mother has archived, and also going to my public library and looking at even more 

magazines to get an even larger sense of the 70s/80s era. I also have listed artist

on my OSU website that include Khinde Wiley, Aminah Robinson and Ellen Gallagher.

I am also furthering my research by combining my photo 1 assignment with my series.

For my photo 1 assignment I am doing a series of photographs that are going to resemble

Ebony covers from the 1970s. I am having my friends dress and have their hair look

a certain way to really capture the essence of the time period I want to acknowledge in

my work. 

My painting style is unique because of the medium I am using. I love pastels

more than “traditional” paint mediums because I am really familiar with pastels. I am going

to apply for the materials grant through Ohio State because I do need to purchase more

Rembrandt pastels. My plan is to create anywhere between 9-12 paintings total. This 

measures out to be about three paintings a month.