The Long-Distance Graduate Student “Workplace”

As a long-distance graduate student, it was difficult to find a space in my home that felt like the “workplace”. For me, going to workplace environments, like the graduate student offices on campus, increases my motivation and productivity but moving to Akron has limited my ability to go to campus. As the vaccination rates have increased and as public places and business are opening back up, I have begun a quest of finding my new “workplace” in Akron. I have explored the following places and given them ratings for workplace likeness, comfort, and cost.

The public library has the highest rating in each category and is my favorite new “workplace”. It has a variety of seating options (couches, tables, outdoor area), is quiet, free, and has great Wi-Fi but the hours it is open is not consistent throughout the week. I’ve tried both local and franchised coffee shops *wink wink* and the constant conversation and people coming in and out makes for an exciting but sometimes distracting “workplace”. In coffee shops I feel the need to buy something to justify using their space and Wi-Fi which is not necessarily sustainable as a graduate student. In my town, I have a large grocery store with seating and a mini food court that has free Wi-Fi. It is definitely more of a place to gather with friends or have a meal than a “workspace” but will work in a pinch. And finally, the public park is great for reading research articles that you’ve pre-downloaded or writing. Getting outside and soaking up the sun is a great option for a very small number of tasks a graduate student normally accomplishes in a “workplace” and as such has a very low rating.

I’ve found that none of the options I’ve explored work for every occasion. However, I would argue that having variety in the spaces you work can boost motivation and productivity. Some days I want quiet and comfort, others I want more social interaction and the din of others moving through their day. I have embraced the ability to choose where I work every day and will continue to explore new places in the hopes of finding my ultimate “workplace”.