The Commuter Life

I’ve been a commuter for the majority of my university career. However, during my undergraduate and masters degree that commute was 10-15 minutes. Since I’ve started my PhD at Ohio State, that commute became a minimum of 1 hour and 15 minutes. As my partner has a job in the Dayton area, we didn’t want to move closer to Columbus and I was OK with commuting for a few years. 

I’m not going to lie, there were times where the commute is rough. Driving from Dayton to Columbus on 75 can be a bit repetitive and even longer with active construction or traffic. I would usually plan to leave an hour before I needed to be on campus just in case if there was an accident or new construction changing the traffic patterns. Even when I do make good time on driving, I still have to navigate parking on campus. The commute is also a bit rough when I realised that I would lose around 3 hours a day to driving (and that could be used for precious writing time!). While I do miss being on campus, I do enjoy having those 3 hours back while I work from home. 

When I did commute, I did find some tips to make the drive more enjoyable and easier. 

1. Always check Waze or Google Maps before leaving. This helps so much for planning my drive just in case if I have to take a different route or leave earlier in the day. On the way home, I would usually check to see how bad traffic was leaving out of Columbus. If I saw the traffic was bad I would either stay on campus a little longer to work, or take the opportunity to explore campus or the Columbus area. 
  2. Find a podcast you love or learn a language. To make the drives more enjoyable and stimulating, I would usually put on a language app like Pimsleur to practice Japanese in the car so I would feel more productive.  On days where I may be a bit more tired I would listen to a podcast (shout out to the other MFM listeners). To find more podcasts for my drive, I would usually ask people I meet for the first time for their favorite podcast (which also doubled as an icebreaker). 
  3. Have a plan for parking. Admittedly I knew after driving for over an hour I didn’t want to search for parking. Additionally, I didn’t want to have to look hard for parking and wanted the freedom to get to campus at any time. That led to my decision to pay a little extra for a garage pass where there were usually more spots available. Bonus was that in the winter my car was covered and I wouldn’t have to worry about cleaning it before starting another hour drive. 
  4. Know your boundaries. When I started commuting I was pretty tied to a class schedule so I didn’t have as much freedom choosing what days I would be on campus. However, I did set boundaries on when I can take meetings on campus whenever possible. I would try to group meetings outside of class onto days I already had to be on campus so I can make the most of my drive. Again, this wasn’t always possible but I always tried my best to keep these boundaries.

Drive Safe!