Axel Cuevas Santamaria

Axel Cuevas Santamaria: Protoplasmic Routes

Sherman Studio Arts Center, Clean Space (Gallery): 1055 Carmack Road; Columbus OH 43212

On view: August 22nd, 3:45-7 pm

I captured the growth of slime mould Physarum polycephalum running over my acrylic labyrinths.

After 10 days of contemplation, I could grasp the beauty of impermanence, creating timelapse videos for art installations.

Physarum polycephalum, a truly emergent consciousness, is my inspiration for this series of bio art explorations.

– VJ axx 2016

After my first bio-artwork entitled first_contact, I decided to create a live AV performance. After this two explorations I continue with Protoplasmic routes.

For this project, I constructed acrylic labyrinths inside petri dishes with the intention to demonstrate the ability of Physarum polycephalum to trace network paths.

“A labyrinth is a circuitous path that people have used as a form of prayer and meditation for thousands of years -a path that is being rediscovered as a spiritual tool in our own day.”
– Schapper & Camp (2000)

In collaboration with Jason Slot at College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences and the Department of Plant Pathology at The Ohio State University.