Québec City

IMG_1887Our visit to Québec City on Friday was probably one of my favorite parts of our study abroad trip. Québec City felt like a not-so-hidden treasure I was able to discover before leaving Canada. The 400 years of history is noticeable in every corner and in every aspect of the stunning city. It’s covered in architectural treasures with its’ European charm. Just walking through the streets felt like living a history book thanks to our tour guide.

Among the amazing architecture and the history we learned while our walking tour, the two that impacted me the most were the Parliament building and the Notre-Dame de Québec Basilica-Cathedral . The Parliament building, built between 1786 and 1886 – according to our tour guide – pays tribute to 26 bronze statues. Between all these beautiful statues, includes  Jacques Cartier who, if I am not mistaken, was the French Canadian explorer and the first European to describe and even map the Gulf of St. Lawrence and the Saint Lawrence River, calling them “The Country of Canadas.”IMG_1898

The Notre-Dame de Québec Basilica-Cathedral was another breathtaking moment of my visit to Québec City. Walking inside the cathedral and just looking at the “Holy Door” left me speechless because of the fact that it is one of the 7 holy doors in the world and I was able to see it. The Notre-Dame-des-Victoires church was also beautiful from what we saw since we did not go inside, but it surprised me to learn that it is the oldest stone church in North America.IMG_20140523_151435

I hope next time I am able to visit Canada, I can spend more than just 4 hours in Québec City and perhaps learn more about the province. IMG_1892