ENR Scholars Final Reflection

The highlight of my ENR scholars experience over the past two years has to be the camping trip we went on to Hocking Hills last year. I learned a lot over this trip as I had never gone camping before and it has inspired me to go on multiple camping trips including one I will go on with friends in a few weeks! Not only was I able to experience camping for the first time, but I was also able to form valuable friendships. I found this trip to happen at the perfect time during the year because I knew people but hadn’t made any close friends yet. However, this camping trip is really how I bonded with people and made lasting friendships.

Through ENR scholars, I learned how to plan an event and encourage attendance. I planned the Tree Identification Workshop with another member and learned some valuable lessons from it. We learned not only what goes into the planning process, but also how to make an event successful while it is occurring.

I really cut down on my plastic consumption over the past two years. This is most definitely something I will continue and I will hopefully be able to entirely cut out single-use plastic in the future. With my move off campus next year, I am really hoping to begin composting and buy more locally sourced foods. With what I have learned over the past two years, even disposing of biodegradable waste in a landfill is still detrimental to the environment. I think by composting I will be able to have that much more of a positive impact on the planet. Similarly, buying locally will cut down on emissions from shipping and will allow me to really know what is going into the production of my food.

I would advise the incoming class of ENR scholars to do their best to make friends within the group as well as really try to make the most out of the different events that scholars has. You will regret it if you don’t!