My GOALS

In order to be globally aware, I plan to at a minimum take classes from departments that teach about different cultures.  If I have time while completing a major and satisfying GE requirements, I would love to complete a Spanish minor to learn more about the Spanish-speaking world specifically.  I would also love to study abroad, since traveling to a Spanish-speaking country would deepen my understanding of their culture and strengthen my ability to speak Spanish.

I plan to undertake original inquiry through my classes.  As an honors math major, all of the classes required for my degree challenge me to think past computation, and look for justification for phenomena that I observe.  I would also love to complete a thesis during my senior year, but I have not started planning the logistics yet.

I plan to fulfill the academic enrichment requirement by taking challenging courses across a variety of departments.  Of course, I am in an honors major which already requires honors coursework, but I plan to use the honors GE requirements as an opportunity to explore other disciplines that I am interested in, such as Women, Gender, and Sexuality studies.

I certainly plan to be a leader in the classroom, and I am actively looking for ways to engage outside of the classroom.  For example, I recently joined the Association of Women in Mathematics in order to build a sense of community in my major, which gave me the opportunity to serve as the undergraduate representative on the Math Department’s Diversity and Departmental Climate Committee.  This position is very important to me, as I want to use my degree to support other women in STEM. I would also love to be a TA, which would give me the opportunity to be a leader for underclassmen.

I plan to engage in service learning both inside and outside the classroom.  I would love to enroll in a service learning class such as the Reproductive Justice class offered by the Department of Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies.  In this class, I would interact with the Columbus community, both to help them and to further my understanding of this complex topic.  I also believe that working as a TA would be a form of service learning, as it would deepen my understanding of the material and allow to to help the students in my class.