Education Abroad(Campus)

On September 12th, 2019, I attended the education abroad expo. I went to the expo so that I could find a study abroad for over the summer that would allow me to practice and expand upon my language skills. While there I found many programs that would allow me to practice Spanish in Latin American countries and one that would allow me to practice French in Quebec. After talking to all the SPPO booths and FRIT booths I have decided that I would prefer to practice French over the summer. French is my second language in my Romance Studies major and I started late in learning it. I began learning Spanish when I was 14 years old and am already in the advanced levels of the major. But I just started learning French last semester and am only in French 2. I also have been finding it difficult to focus on my French skills when I am also focusing on Spanish. The Univerity of Laval in Quebec offers a 5-week intensive French language program for beginners of the language and would allow me to hone in on my speaking skills. The program director Louise talked to me about how great the program was for beginners and how they do not make it too overwhelming for those that do not know the language very well. She explained to me how in the morning I would attend two french classes and then in the afternoon I would be able to go out on cultural excursions. I really liked the idea of cultural excursions because it would allow me to speak with locals and practice the skills outside of the classroom. Also, the best way to learn a language is to understand the people that speak it. I also really like how inexpensive the program is, with it only being $1500 CAD, and the only thing not included is food and travel. But I am currently in the STEP program and would be able to cover all the expenses with that scholarship. I also feel that this program is great because since it is in the summer I can use the experience not only for my STEP project but also for my International Affairs Second-Year Project.