Day 7: Almost Over

Today was another incredible day in London. We started the day by traveling to Westminster Abbey for an in depth tour of the church. Upon arriving, I was in absolute awe of the sheer size and detail put into the different sections of the interior and the exterior facades.

Our tour guide for Westminster Abbey was very knowledgeable about every aspect of the church’s history and construction. One fact that he told us which I found very interesting was that the building did not have a very defined end for when it would be completed. Rather, Westminster Abbey has a blend of different architectural styles in addition to rather inconsistent styles of memorials.

During the tour, I learned many new facts about Westminster Abbey that I was completely unaware of. I did not know that Westminster Abbey served as a sort of mausoleum for many famous people, such as Issac Newton. I used to believe that Westminster Abbey was just a church, but now I know that it features intricate graves and memorials for many famous British people.

I think that it would be very interesting to compare Westminster Abbey and Salisbury Cathedral, seeing as they are both Gothic style buildings. I would be very interested to see what major differences they have in their floor plans and the reasoning for such differences.