Uniquely me

The evening of our free museum day, I was finally able to go to The Sherlock Holmes Museum. I had been waiting to go since I decided to go on the trip. It was rather difficult to find, as it is between 237 and 241 Baker Street despite the address being 221B Baker Street. The museum is quite cheeky looking like one of the typical cafes. Next to the museum entrance is the famous door to Sherlock Holmes and Dr. John Watson’s flat.

Door to the far left with museum on the right

Before you can enter the flat, you have to buy a ticket from the counter in the back of the gift shop. The ticket was £15 that gets you in to the flat itself which is dressed in a Victorian era style, like when Sherlock and Watson would have lived there along with all the employees in traditional Victorian era costumes.

You never truly go through the main flat door, there is a door to the front entrance are of the flat from inside the gift shop area where you show a man your ticket to enter. Walking in to the front entrance, you take the stairs to the second floor which houses Sherlock’s bedroom and study.

image

image

image

The second floor had another living space and a small office that was full of items such as books and pictures. There was a guest book to sign as well. The one prominent part of the second floor though was the wax figurines. I did not stay there long as I found them rather creepy but they were presenting specific scenes from the stories.

Overall, I had a wonderful evening and acquired some pretty neat souvenirs. I am still so happy I was able to visit this small little museum of one of my favorite literary characters and feel as if I was back in the Victoria era.

image

2 thoughts on “Uniquely me

1. The Sherlock Holmes museum was something that I wanted to visit while here in London! I hope to have time tomorrow during our free to visit. I think it is incredible how the Victorian style can still be seen, and it is something I would really like to see. The fact that the 221B is not in order with the rest of the surrounding buildings is very weird and I am now wondering why that is. As for the ticket price I feel that is very reasonable for what you get to see! It is also close to the hotel which is great! If you are looking for another great tourist attraction, I would call and see if there is anyway you can get tickets to the Harry Potter studio tour since it was an incredible experience!

2. Oh my!! I am so glad you got to go to your favorite place ever. It seems like a must-see for any Sherlock Holmes fanatic 🙂 I will have I love vicariously through you since I could not for our free museum day! I am not a fan of wax people either so maybe I would have left quickly too. I like the images you selected too!! Overall, I would love to know when our journey of following Holmes’ adventures? Was he one of the reasons you wanted to pay a visit to the city of London?