Post Trip

I can finally check off studying abroad off my bucket list! London is a fantastic city, and I would love to go back one day. One of the things I thoroughly enjoyed about this trip was the fact that before we went we learned about certain sections of London and landmarks. As example it was very exciting to learn about St. Paul’s cathedral and then actually go inside the cathedral learn even more about the churches history.

“Life begins at the end of your comfort zone”- Neale Donald Walsch

The quote above could not be more true for this trip. The whole trip in general was out of my comfort zone since we were in a different country and needless to say life really does begin when you get out of your comfort zone. On our free day Taylor and I traveled by train then by bus to the city of Brighton. I was so nervous to venture out on our own with only a map, and little knowledge on the train/bus systems since we could not use our phones as clutches since we did not have data. Our free day turned out so well this summer I may turn off my phone and just grab a map and take a road trip to somewhere in the states. Thanks to this trip I feel more confident in getting out of my comfort zone, which will make life more eventful in the long run.

Overall I enjoyed London and would go back again, but I would also love to explore more of the UK and other parts of Europe. I am now itching to travel and see more of this beautiful world.

Home

Coming home was a sad and happy ending. I didn’t want to leave London because it was such a great city and I wish I could have stayed longer. However, I was ready for my own bed and to come back to America where the proportions for food are large and the water is free. I never thought to be grateful for large proportions and free water but now I think I am even more grateful than I was before.

The ride home was harder than the ride there for some reason. It might have been because it was a longer flight home but I still am not 100% sure. The short flight home was actually really nice compared to the short ride there. Everything was smooth and really nice.

Another thing that I was really grateful for was coming home and being able to go right to bed. I was exhausted and couldn’t imagine getting a night flight home and then having to go to school the next day. I was extremely jet-legged… like extremely. I was finally not jet-legged when I went to class on Friday. I was struggling and having a hard time adjusting. I completely forgot to check my email and I had 77 emails when I got home. That was extremely overwhelming haha! I am super glad to be home and happy that I am no longer jet-legged!

Day: I’ll be Seeing You

London exists in my memory almost more as a person than a place. The nostalgia that I was able to develop for a city that I only explored for a small amount of time is remarkable. “There” becomes “She” as I reminisce about the intricacies of my experience: a lovely and inspiring one.

London is accessible. Being aware of my post-trip banter with friends and family, I notice that an adjective I frequently use to describe Londoners is mobile. Accessibility and the ability to efficiently commute are important contributors to the overall speed of London.

London is energetic. Coming home, I was shocked at the comparative slowness of Columbus. Living for 22 years in the quaintness of suburbia, I am pleased to find so much excitement by being in a large city. I adore the hustle of London’s beautiful working people, the excitement of the plethora of children on field trips: even the homeless were kind. It was the cleanest and classiest city I have ever been in. It has begun a stirring within me to also explore the cities that other countries have to offer. London opened her arms to me and allowed me to walk freely, more independent than I have ever felt. I know that I will see her again.

So long, Farewell.

After arriving home from London the way I felt can be simply put in one word: Tired. The flight home all though not terrible since I slept most of the time was a lot to bare after such a packed trip.

A week later after returning and being able to reflect upon my experiences in the great UK, I have realized much about myself and my likes/dislikes. I thought London was a lovely place, also very easy to maneuver, but I kept feeling like I was just in any other city. I felt like the mixture between the old and the new architecture is what ruined the feel of London for me. I enjoyed my time much more when I was away from the hustle and bustle of the city. From Stourhead, Greenwich, Salisbury and the country side I felt like I was truly having an abroad experience when I was in those locations.

What I did love about the trip was any and all free time that we had. I think I learn better and experience more when I am allowed to explore on my own without constraints of other’s time. There were many times I saw something that was intriguing to me, but it was bypassed due to the demand of the group. I also thoroughly enjoyed meeting people on my trip. I did meet a handful of wonderful people that were open to new experiences and friendships and I am so thankful for them.

Overall I would love to return to London one day but with my family or close friends instead. I would have preferred to stay in a more quiet part of town that felt more like the quaint London I had envisioned. I would love to take my family to all the places that made my time abroad wonderful and leave out the pieces that did not. I also would suggest to anyone traveling there to spend more time country side.

London did not capture my heart the way I thought it would, but I got bit by the travel bug again and am already saving for my next experience.

-Adriane

Reflections

This trip to London was truly an amazing experience and opportunity. There is so much history within one city and so much of it relates back to the United States. It was also interesting to see the blending of so many different cultures, which was made very evident from all of the different types of food on every corner. The architecture was so amazing, and it was really interesting seeing so many different styles of architecture so close to each other. Wandering through a narrow medieval street with lots of old buildings only to find the Walkie Talkie at the end of the street was such a juxtapostion. But when you wander though London, seeing things like that is not abnormal. There is just such a successful blending of the new with the old. But even with all of this, I was slightly underwhelmed, perhaps my expectations were just to high. It didn’t feel like we were in a different country, possibly because there was no language barier or perhaps the fact that a lot of our culture comes from England. I felt like I was just in an older part of the United States where they happened to have different accents, which isn’t unreasonable since every part of the US has a different accent. Overall I really enjoyed the trip and I do want to go back and see everything I didn’t get a chance to, but I would probably go back to Germany or Switzerland first.

One For The Books

This is most likely everyones response to our fabulous trip, but for me it sincerely was one of the greatest weeks of my life. Although I have been abroad before, London was a such a unique experience compared to mainland Europe. I loved how we got a chance to explore all over the city as opposed to just staying in one place the whole trip. I also loved how we got a taste of english culture in such a brief amount of time. It feels like I blinked and the trip was over, but I do feel as though I understand English culture in depth now after the trip. I like how the city felt connected through its transportation systems also. The tube allowed us to travel all over the city in a couple hours; something we would have not been able to do otherwise. Looking back, I wish I could relive the whole trip over again. From the amazing  friends I have made to the amazing architecture I have gotten the privilege to see, I cant wait to plan my next trip back!

Post Trip

I have no words to describe how incredible this trip was for me. I love architecture so much and traveling across the world to see it is a dream. Here in America it is impossible to examine earlier history that places in Europe have to offer. I miss exploring London and its near by cities so much already and I am itching to go back. I am however thankful to be sleeping in my own bed and have my boyfriend and cat back. But nonetheless it was a fantastic trip. The experiences and people I met on this trip are truly something I will never forget. The trip taught us many life lessons like how to open up a map when you don’t have data on your phone and figure out how to get to a place by looking and asking for directions. I feel so comfortable navigating the Underground its unbelievable. I did not think that I would feel comfortable after just one week going from station to station but when I go back I will know exactly what to do. This trip was definitely something I will recommend to anyone who asks about study abroad trips and I cannot wait to go home this weekend and share my experiences with my family who helped make this trip possible for me. It was great.

Big Ben in all of his glory

Big Ben in all of his glory

Day Trip! (day 8 to Brighton)

Logan and I had quite the adventure on our day trip to Brighton, England. First obstacle of the day was the journey to Brighton. The London Overground was doing maintenance on the railway between London and Brighton so we could only take our train from Saint Pancreas International Station to Three Bridges Station and from there the London Overground has buses step up to take us the rest of the way to Brighton. Once at Brighton we had to mind maps at the visitors center to find our way to anything in Brighton. Our first objective was to find the sea then find everything else. After we made it to water we then ventured to Brighton Pier which was open!!!! We got to walk all the way to the end and enjoy all the different people enjoying the piers many amenities. Logan and I got some wonderful fresh seafood in a little restaurant on the pier. After lunch we had dessert from the pier vendors. Logan had some Nutella crepes and I had some churros. Next we took about out our map to see where to go to next! We decided it was time to find the Royal Pavilion. After about a 15 minute walk we started to see the wonderful tops of the Islamic architecture peaking out from behind the other buildings. It was beautiful. After seeing it we decided that facade entrance would make a great sketch for our sketchbooks. We found a park bench and sketched to the sound of street performers drums and saxophone. After a good amount of sketching time we decided to ask around and see where else we could go before the sun went down and we needed to head back to London. We heard about a shopping center with all the hughstreet shops in it that sounded like a great option. We took out the map and journeyed to find Churchill Square Shopping Center. After we spent some time looking around the center we decided it was time to head back. To our delight on the way back we got to sit on the top at the very front of the double decker bus back to three bridges. Logan took a time lapse video to show the bus route back with was very cool to watch afterwards. Once we got back to London Trace, Rachel, Logan, Cori and I took our last dinner in London at Garfunkel’s right next to the hotel. We discussed all the wonderful times we had on the trip but also how we were ready to go home. Overall it was a fantastic day.

Stone beach

Stone beach

Brighton Pier

Brighton Pier

Lunch!

Lunch!

Brighton Beach from the Pier

Brighton Beach from the Pier

Royal Pavilion

Royal Pavilion

Trying to use up all my change before we went to the airport

Day 8 stats

Day 8 stats

Reflections of days 6 and 7

Day six of the trip was great in an architectural sense. We saw many old buildings on our morning walk to Covent Garden and Sir John Jones. I really enjoyed going into Middle Temple hall and seeing the the architectural decor of the wood on the ceiling. Temple church was also very cool. I enjoyed that we could go all the way up to the top and see downward into the middle. I also was thoroughly thrilled that Temple church was the center hub or all the knights of the era. Day six was also the day of the museum of choice day and Logan, Cori and I decided to go back to Tate Modern since we felt like we didn’t have enough time to see what it had to offer the first time. I even got to use my BUCKid and get a student discount at the gift shop. That evening was also a fun time for Cori, Trace, Rachel, Logan and I. We found what we think to believe is the only free-refill soda fountain in all of London! We ate at Nando’s not too far from our hotel. Day seven was a great experience because of the office tours. I went with Troy to SOM and I am so glad I did. I loved it. Dinner on day seven at Wagamama I really enjoyed as well. Logan and I tried their fried squid as an appetizer and I got some coconut curry as my main dish.

Stained-glass windows at Temple Church

Stained-glass windows at Temple Church

Walking across Millennium Bridge!

Walking across Millennium Bridge!

Soda fountain at Nando's

Soda fountain at Nando’s

Daily Stats

Daily Stats

Westminster Abbey Facade

Westminster Abbey Facade

Logan and my appetizers at Wagamama

Logan and my appetizers at Wagamama

Coconut curry from Wagamama

Coconut curry from Wagamama

Reflection of days 4 and 5

Days four and five of the trip were two of my favorite days of the whole trip. Stonehenge was one of my favorite things that I saw on the last trip I went on in 2007 so I was super excited to see the few visitor center that Aimee raved about. And I must say I was not disappointed. Stonehenge was just as amazing as the first time I saw it! Stourhead was also something amazing I want to talk about. I mean wow! I did not expect to enjoy it as much as I did. It was so beautiful and to be able to walk into all the follies and the grotto was amazing! I had previously gone to Salisbury Cathedral on my previous trip so it was a pleasure seeing it again, I got to recreate a picture that I had taken in 2007 of the water fountain in the cathedral.  On day five I had a great time enjoying Kew Gardens. I especially enjoyed the Princess Diana Conservatory. I also liked going on the tree top canopy with Logan, Trace, Rachel and Cori. Seeing Kew from above was really cool. Afternoon tea was amazing and I throughly enjoyed it. The London Eye cruise was also a second go for me too however going in the evening and being able to see the sun set over London was an added bonus.

Zac and Logie!

Zac and Logie!

Rachel, Cori and I at tea!

Rachel, Cori and I at tea!

Stats day 5.. I forgot to screenshot that evening

Candid of Rachel and I courtesy of Logan

Stourhead landscape

Stourhead landscape

Day 4 Stats

Day 4 Stats

Logan and I at Stonehenge OHIO ft Stonehenge

Cheers London

And just like that, we’re back to our daily college lives. London was truly an amazing experience and I wish I had more time there. There were countless things on our ‘to-do’ list that we never got to, but also a lot of unexpected things that were equally cool to see and experience. From hearing friends’ stories, and seeing the city on TV, I’ve always had this picture in my mind about what London would be like, culturally, geographically and aesthetically. Based on this picture I had in my mind, I also thought that I would really enjoy London, and that it would be a place that I might like to live. After finally traveling to London, I can say that the picture in my mind was quite wrong, but at the same time, I do really like London and would definitely consider living there at some point in the future. Traveling to NYC many times, I have found myself comparing London to NYC to put it in perspective. Although they are both of the largest cities in the world, they’re completely different in mind, culturally, geographically and aesthetically.

Architecturally, London was a lot more complex than I had imagined; the seamless weaving of 11th century buildings and 21st century skyscrapers into the urban fabric was absolutely incredible. This trip was the first time I had been out of the country, and the first time I really sketched. Sketching while there and learning about the city beforehand allowed me to get much more out of the trip. It was such a cool experience to visit places like Stonehenge and Stourhead which we learned about in Arch 2300, and let me say, the slideshow pictures don’t do their justice.

Old and New

Old and New

London was filled with many surprises, all good (in my opinion). Although I was only there for a short period of time, it’s a city that I am fascinated with. I will definitely be back in the future, and maybe eventually I’ll go back for good. Cheers London.

image

Brighton

Brighton

image

Tea time

O-H-I-O in Tate Modern

O-H-I-O in Tate Modern

London After Credits

London was a striking experience, but I was definitely ready to go home. I was dreading the plane rides home, especially the five hour layover, being someone who can’t sit still for too long.

From the start of the flight, I was fixated on the small pixelated plane on my screen, trying to will the trip back to go faster. There wasn’t anything particularly I wanted to do (besides sleep) when I got home, but I was definitely excited to give people the gifts I had bought them.

The layover wasn’t as bad as I had assumed, and we amused ourselves with “card tricks” (it was mostly just random shuffling and throwing of cards). Before I knew it, I was back in Ohio, retrieving my bags and passing the others that I had gotten to know so well, seeing them reunite with those they had left behind.All the while, I couldn’t stop thinking about my bag full of English chocolate that I wanted to devour as soon as I got back.

Overall, the experience was one I won’t forget. Though I spent much more money than I though I would, irl T was all worth it in the end. I’ve met some amazing people and I’ve gotten to know them well on this trip. The sights we visited were wonderful, and the sketches have helped me improve on my architectural drawing skills. I would definitely give this trip a 5 stars on Yelp. Thank you for allowing me to take this chance, I hope next year will bring many more amazing opportunities such as this.

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes (Post-Trip Post)

Here I am, back at one of my favorite Columbus coffee shops. I went to work and went to classes today. Sometimes it feels like last week was a wormhole, a pocket of time folded in on itself. I came back and it felt like I never left. And yet–I think back on the trip itself, and it seems like it lasted for an eternity.

Have I changed? Well, I think every experience changes us in some way, so certainly it has. Maybe in small ways. I’m drinking way more tea than I even was before, and I am a tea person. I’ve already been going to more cafes and just sitting and working, probably because I miss the comforting mass of strangers that was always surrounding me in London.

Maybe the biggest change I’ve noticed in myself post-trip is how re-inspired I feel to make art. Maybe it was simply the break in schoolwork that gave me time to become reinvigorated, but I don’t think that was it. I think it was the way art was truly integrated into every aspect of society there.

This Tichard Serra sculpture in the heart of the business district invites its audience inside the art.

This Richard Serra sculpture in the heart of the business district invites its audience inside the art.

Here at the cafe, I bumped into a friend, and we just finished talking about how it feels almost impossible for us as Americans to wrap our minds around buildings that are 600 years old or ruins from Roman structures just chilling outside our office window. I know I’ve already touched on this subject, but thinking more about it, I think this complete cocoon of history that enshrines the British may be a major contributor to why they value art more than Americans.

Oh look, this beautiful piano was hanging out in the street in the theatre district.

Think about it, British culture goes back to ancient times (we all saw Stonehenge), so they have this rich history, and art is an intrinsic part of that history. American culture, compared to the rest of the world, is barely in its adolescence. Maybe when we get a few hundred more years under our belts, we too will have a greater appreciation for the art that we make. It’d be nice if it happened a little sooner than that, of course.

Maybe that’s where I come in. As an artist myself and as a person with an interest in teaching art, maybe I can help make a difference in the way Americans value art so that we can find installations in our churches and poetry in our museums someday soon, too.

Maybe it was about time for us to come home. I'm not sure how much more of London could take. ;)

Maybe it was about time for us to come home. I’m not sure how much more of us London could take. 😉

London: Looking Back

It still doesn’t feel like we’ve been to London, stayed for over a week, and came home. People will ask me how London was and I have to remind myself that we actually did go. The trip absolutely flew by but it was such a great experience. I made so many new friends that I never would have met, or become close with, otherwise. Having so many different people in different majors was awesome because it gave me a completely different perspective of London when I was just looking at the architecture.

But I loved the city so much. London was so inclusive in merging the older architecture and the modern buildings which was amazing to see since so many other cities just divide into the “old” portion and the “new”. I also thought it was amazing to see the differences in culture. We may speak the same language (or a version of it) but there are so many unique cultural differences that I never would have thought of. It was so cool being able to talk to people who lived in the UK about the differences between our cultures.

I never would have thought I would have gotten the opportunity to study abroad in my second year of college but it was an absolutely amazing experience. London is a city I will never forget and one I can’t wait to visit again.

London Lessons

This experience taught me a lot- both about the world around me, and myself. I learned to see architecture in ways I had never thought of. I learned how big the world really is beyond my little bubble here at OSU, and how passionate I am about how people experience a city. However, my favorite lesson was learning how to be a true traveler of the world. At the beginning of the trip, I found myself eager to experience every single part of the city. My goal was to see everything. I failed miserably at doing so of course, London is HUGE. Instead, I found myself happiest when I sat back and let the city take me where I wanted me to go. Enjoying the little things was the biggest thing for me. One night we took a spontaneous trip to Chinatown for dessert, and we were all overcome with a sense of awe. It wasn’t in our plans to even head that direction, but we were all so happy that we did. As a person that micromanages literally every aspect of her life, this realization that life still works out without a second by second plan was really nice. Not seeing everything in one trip is okay, because it means you have to come back! I can’t wait to continue my adventures in the future, with this new found knowledge in mind! I have both London and my travel companions to thank for these many lessons, so hey thanks guys!

Looking Back…

I had been looking forward to this trip for such a long time. I would come out of class everyday more and more excited. When the time finally came it didn’t even seem real. Even though we left at 3:30 in the morning I was wide awake. By the time we finally arrived I couldn’t wait to get out and explore. Seeing everything we had been studying in real life was incredible. All of the buildings were so much bigger than I expected! Especially the Walkie Talkie. Never before had I bothered to learn about a place prior to visiting. It made a world of difference. I got so much more out of the experience. This was also the first time I had ever really sketched. I was skeptical of myself at the beginning, but I actually do think I got better as the week progressed. I learned so much over the course of the week. Not just about architecture, but about history, culture, and traveling in general. I also had the opportunity to spend time with some amazing people. This was probably my favorite aspect of the entire trip. Overall, this was one of the best weeks of my college experience thus far.

Post-Trip

This trip to London was my first time leaving the country and I felt this study abroad trip would be a great way to transition into traveling to other countries. The fact that there is no language barrier made the trip a whole lot easier, compared to going on a trip to Germany or Spain for example. London was a lot more incredible than I imagined it would be, especially the architecture. I loved the fact that everything looked very old and they blended the old with the new, while making sure they didn’t disregard the importance of their architecture by building up around it.  My favorite part of the trip would have to be the English country side. I love have peaceful it was out there and the fact that both Stonehenge and Stourhead were located there definitely factored into my decision. Another amazing part of the trip was the Harry Potter studio tour. They had most of the sets from the movies and many different costumes and props. There were many more amazing experiences on the trip that I will look back on for a long time. I am so glad I went on this trip and hope I can have more incredible experiences like this traveling abroad in the future.

Home Sweet Home

I knew since the very first time Aimee presented this trip to us I wanted to be apart of it. I could not wait for spring break to get here. Talking about it in class just made me more anxious and ready to go. When the time actually came, it really didn’t feel real.

Now that I am home, I see how much this trip actually has meant to me. I now am able to see the subtle differences we have even though everything seems so similar. Beyond the obvious accent people of the UK have, there’s so much more. As a country that has been developed for so many years, it is obvious of the history and knowledge it holds. It maintains and grows on what it, as a nation, has achieved. They have found what works for them and have managed to keep with the traditions.

I am very pleased that although this was a trip specifically focused around architecture, I was able to learn about what interests me. There were so many different cultures in such a small area. Everywhere we went, or where I traveled alone, I heard different languages and noticed different characteristics. This grand city houses varieties of people and cultures.

What really made this trip easy was, 1) there wasn’t a language barrier. Although we sounded different, we were still able to communicate and travel. 2) I have never seen a more simple transportation system. Never in my life would I think that on the first day of being in a foreign country I would be comfortable traveling through a foreign transportation system with a small group, and we were all clueless. And then, be comfortable the next day to travel alone! It still amazes me.

Finally, I want to say that London didn’t hit me. It was magnificent and wonderful overall, but just not for me. I like differences. I like the challenges of adapting to a culture. It adds to the experience. I am still ecstatic that I was able to travel there with such wonderful people (really, I couldn’t have asked for a better group to travel with. I love all of you!), and thank you all for adding to the experience it was. I have learned so much and my travel bug has managed to grow stronger.

A textual and imitative reproduction.

“Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford.”
― Samuel Johnson, The Life of Samuel Johnson LL.D. Vol 3

London proved to me that I cannot always expect to understand places that I have not been before. From history classes in high school to theory and history classes in college I thought I was able to paint a pretty actuate portrait of what I thought London to be. I have even traveled to London as a child, and many cities around the world reassuring me that I could confidently imagine what the city would look and feel like once I inhabited it.

I could not have been more wrong.

From my very first day in London I could tell immediately that the city felt so much larger and taller than I had expected. My memories of London in the early 2000 were of a lower city, that felt more exposed to the light when walking through the streets full of cobblestone and old renaissance inspired buildings. This was the exact opposite of what was really there. The new buildings made the skyline of the city reach high into the clouds with the Chard, and stretch wide into the distance with canary warf. The old architecture was tucked into alley’s and corners, showing a glimpse of what use to be. The city was modern and sprinkled with cranes showing it wasn’t slowing down anytime soon. This was all unexpected to me even though I knew of all these buildings, but still couldn’t imagine them in site.

London also allowed me to push myself out of my comfort zone by meeting and befriending people who I wouldn’t normally be close with. I found myself with a group of friends that made the experience of studying abroad and being in London much more of a beautiful experience. I had expected to make loose friendships with people because I had to, but I met truly great people who enhance many different parts of the trip I never expected. Kendra was able to show me art in completely new ways, looking modern works through a new lens. Adrianne who is highly involved in greek life here at OSU made me realize many things about back home, and allowed me to feel like I was part of the group which was an incredible moment for me. Kayla and Megan both pushed me to look at architecture in new ways that I hadn’t imagined I would, as well as Trace, Taylor, Cori, and Rachel. They all allowed me to be a part of their experiences, CeCe and Sandy with plays and movies, all the way to city planning and gentrification ideas. All of the people on this trip that I didn’t even mention all made me view London in a new and exciting way that I ever would have by going alone. And for that I am very grateful, London surprised me in the kindest ways and I’m left with the fondest memories.

The Journey Ends

The journey ends…..Exploring London and the English countryside has been an adventure.  I experienced many surreal and unforgettable moments such as walking on Millennium Bridge, wandering through the River Thames Promenade, absorbing the details of the interior of Salisbury Cathedral, seeing the follies at Stourhead, and viewing London at sunset from the top of One New Change.  I am pleased to have acquainted myself with another city, while I learned more about myself.  I treasure the occasions wherein I explored London on my own; it was liberating to know that I could take the tube without becoming lost, that I could fulfill travel errands without assistance, and that I could navigate a city via foot without asking for directions.  I have traveled many times in the past with my parents; as such, with matters in connection to travel, I could always rely on them for help.  Owing to my trip to London, I am proud that I developed confidence as an independent traveler.  I intend to revisit London with my parents in the future, as I would like to see the city through their eyes.  As I write this blog post, I am still in the London state of mind.  The memories I created in London will live in my mind for eternity.

Final Blog Post

It’s hard to believe that the whole trip to London is already over. I still remember the super long walking tour seemed never to end, but now I’m already back to school again. I think this trip is a good relief for me from school work, and it allowed me to see some of the most historic and famous sights. There are many differences between London and Columbus. For instance, in London, drivers drive extremely fast, and everything seemed to blend together, while in Columbus, the cars move in a much slower pace. Moreover, Columbus feels like a more peaceful living space where you can slow down and enjoy more of your life, which is different from what I experienced on the tip, which was constant traveling within compressed time. The most important thing I learned from this trip is to get to people as early as possible start from the beginning of the semester. Throughout the semester, I was caught up with school work, but I have no complaints because I made such choice myself, but I should have still tried to be more active to talk to people more and get to know them better. However, I think I still enjoyed the trip with many people; I can feel their enthusiasm towards the trip and friendliness to me. I had lots of fun just by listening to their conversations. I think from now on, I will open up more and communicate with people more.

Day 4: 6 Paintings=200 Words

I think unanimously that the travel day to Stonehenge and Stourhead was a favorite among the group. Upon reflection, I am absolutely blown away by the beauty of both landscapes. Interestingly, these beautiful sights almost eclipsed our later experiences. They were almost just too magnificent to comprehend. In the spirit of this speechlessness, here are watercolor paintings to commemorate this amazing experience. 

Stourhead

Until Next Time London…

London (and the fog) from the top of St. Paul's dome

London (and the fog) from the top of St. Paul’s dome

I can’t believe that spring break is over and I am back in my dorm at Ohio State.  What is even harder to believe is that I spent the last 10 days in London.  Since I found out that I was accepted to the program, I had a mental countdown until the trip in the back of my mind, and when it got closer I was even more excited, as well as a little anxious.  Now that is all over and tomorrow I will have to wake up early for my 8 a.m. class and jump right back into my studying like nothing ever happened.  This past week is like a blurb in my calendar that makes me ask myself “Did this really happen?  Did I actually just spend my spring break in London?”

Our day trip to Brighton!

Our day trip to Brighton!

When I first arrived in London at 11 p.m. on Friday, I immediately wanted to go home.  There were so many people out on that friday night, the rooms were tiny, the walls were thin, and all I could hear from outside the window was shouting and sirens.  I didn’t know what I was getting myself into.  Thankfully, the rest of the week was much better than this night.  I can’t believe how many different things I got to see and do.  I still can’t believe I got to visit St. Paul’s Cathedral, Big Ben, Stonehenge, Stourhead, take a train to Brighton and many of the other places I have learned about.  Some of these places I just never imagined actually being able to visit, and now, I have visited all of them.  One of the things that I noticed early on in the trip was that everything was so much bigger than I thought it would be.  For example, St. Paul’s Cathedral and specifically the dome was enormous.  I knew it was going to big, but I didn’t know it was going to be THAT big!  On our way to the cathedral, we were just walking through the city and you couldn’t see the cathedral yet.  We turned down an alleyway and in the small sliver of space between the two rows of buildings was the huge dome of St. Paul’s looming over us.  At that moment I was speechless.  It was so sublime.  This was the first of many similar reactions regarding the actual scale of buildings.

IMG_8312I also learned a little about myself during the trip.  First, I learned that I actually really enjoy sketching.  I was nervous about the sketching portion of this class before the trip because of the pressure to capture everything in a short amount of time.  During the trip, I found that sketching was very calming to me- the opposite of what I was expecting.  I like to be able to just sit at a site for  a long (or short) amount of time and really focus on the building and its details.  I actually spent my free time on Friday sketching some of the major sites in the area, such as Big Ben.  I also learned that as much as I liked London, I could never actually live there.  London was beautiful and super easy to get around, but I realized how far it actually is.  Living in Pennsylvania and coming to Ohio State, I was nervous because of the distance, but it was okay.  If I were to live in London, that distance is much greater.  The time difference was a little difficult, but it wasn’t too bad.  There was only a short time when I would have been awake in London and the people here in the U.S. would not have been.  Overall, I really liked the city of London.  The city was beautiful and had so many activities to offer.  So I am saying until next time, London, because there will definitely be a next time for me.

Brighton

For the free day I decided to visit Brighton. We had to take the tube to Victoria Station and from there we took a train to Three Bridges. Here we had to get off and transfer to a bus that took us to Brighton. We got off the bus and started to walk, when we turned the corner we immediately saw the water. It was amazing. Our first stop was the Royal Pavilion.  We couldn’t get inside, but we walked around the exterior and through the garden. After this we went down to the water. The beach was so fun, and it wasn’t even that cold! Next we went to the pier. We thought it was going to be closed, but we were wrong. We walked to the end and looked back at the shore. There were seagulls flying around and a lot of people were out walking. We got lunch at a small sandwich shop and then walked around The Lanes. We looked around a chocolate shop, a few home goods stores, and then stopped at a bakery. I got three macaroons, they were delicious! After this it was time to go. We made our way back to the hotel and had our final dinner in London.

image  FullSizeRender-2

Brighton Day Trip

I can not believe this was our last day in London. Time goes by so fast when you are having a blast and learning. On our last day Taylor and I took a day trip to Brighton by train/bus.

image

One way took around two hours, but the two hour ride was totally worth it! Once we arrived at Brighton the first place we stopped at was the Brighton Pier. This pier was a very unexpected treat because I thought the pier was closed until April. Below is a horrific sketch of the entrance. For reference below the sketch is the actual entrance.

image

image
The pier has restaurants, amusement rides, and arcade games and is very kid and adult friendly. After the pier we went down to the ocean. It was very interesting because there was no sand, but rather pebbles and rocks. I found it rather hard to walk around on the beach because there were so many rocks which lead to no traction.

image

On the last bus ride to the train station I took a time lapse video from the top of our double decker bus. The time lapse shows how the bus maneuvers around the roads.

Overall the day trip to Brighton was spectacular. I’m very happy I went out of my comfort zone and traveled outside of London!

last day :(

For our free day, Adriane, Zac, Kendra, and I all went to Notting Hill market and got to experience English culture at its finest. This market is HUGE and has so many different kinds of stands to buy things from. The beginning part of the market was made up primarily of antiques. They had everything from jewelry, to old prints, cameras, and even some clothing. We had a blast looking through all the amazing history and charm the stands had to offer. I bought some wonderful prints from the 1860s that render Italian sculpture and mosaic tile. While there we also ate lunch at a street vendor that was selling German wraps. We also got jelly donuts from a elderly woman hat had a bakery stand and I have never had a better donut in my life. After the market we came back and napped and then went to dinner a bit later. We enjoyed our last English dinner at a pub and got traditional English savory pies. After diner we spent our evening visiting platform 9 and 3/4 from the Harry Potter movies and getting the classic red phone booth picture in front of Big Ben. Overall, our free day was simply amazing and I can’t believe the trip is coming to an end!

image image

Pleasantly surprised

To be completely honest, I was not looking forward to our day trip out to stone henge, Stourhead, and Salisbury. I was just tried and was not looking forward to sitting in a bus all day. I am glad to say though that at the the end of the day, the day trip was one of my favorite parts of the entire trip. Even though some say that stone henge is just a pile of rocks and is doesn’t do much, I thought it was absolutely beautiful. It’s the only clear figural object for miles and it is so independently stunning. The clear difference between the green grass and the blue sky was amazing. I’m so happy we were blessed with a sunny day.
Our next stop was to Stourhead and I have never been so taken aback by a landscape in my entire life. It is truly the most natural looking man made space I have ever seen. The recreation of the Pantheon is stunning and is so much lager hat what I had previously thought. The overall ambiance and over the top nature of the pace as a whole was truly unique and incredible in its own right. The space was created and designed to be over the top and beautiful just to be enjoyed and experienced. I love that it’s purpose is simple.
The last stop of the day was to Salisbury cathedral and it was the first gothic cathedral I had ever been in. The space was magnificently huge and visually stimulating. I didn’t know where to look because everything in the space was so sculptural and vibrant. I loved the piers and flying buttresses in the space, as well as the ribbed vaults and pointed arches. The space differed from a Roman cathedral in many ways. For one, the verticality in this space was much more prevalent. I also thought that the space was more ornamental. Although I still prefer a Roman cathedral, I’m glad I got to see a place of worship that is so vastly different, but represents the culture of the English religion while serving the same purpose as the classic cathedral.

imageimageimage

Last day best day! Last post even better day

Just when I thought I was ready to go home I had another great day in London. I started the morning off how any great day starts, by sleeping in. I made my way to Notting Hill for their portabella market which made me immediately regret spending my money anywhere else. There was sooooo much to see and I was on limited funds. I quickly found numerous items for my future self to come back and buy one day. They had fabulous leather trunks full of furs and precious antiques everywhere I looked.  I ended up buying myself a teapot, an old fashion camera for my sister that came in this sick leather case and a scarf from a Scottish store. While there at the markets they also had an endless supply of street food to choose from, I got a German Doner and it was delicious. I also found the best doughnuts this side of the Atlantic.

To continue with my great day we went to a pub that George Orwell frequented at and I had my goodbye meal that of fish and chips! They were good and the atmosphere there was very alive. Next we went to kings cross and got our pictures taken at platform 9 3/4!

My my day in pics:

image

I’m in love, I’m in love

image

The one I got my sister isn’t pictured it’s so cool though. It’s a Kodak and it says United Kingdom on it.

image

I’ll dream of you babe!

image

An image of the quaint street before we arrived upon the crazy market madness!!

image

My younger self is geeking out hard core tonight!

My day in the shoes of George Orwell

“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”

Today I literally traced the great George Orwell’s steps, which led me to one of my favorite days in London this far. George Orwell was a great British novelist and (drinker) from the mid 1900’s. He wrote amazing politically driven novels such as nineteen eighty four. My walk in his footsteps today was not a planned day though, but a amazing coincidence.

My day began by taking the underground out to the famous Notting Hill.  My plan was to check out this amazing market I had heard of called Portebello St, and once I arrived I was not let down. Upon turning the corner of the tube I was greeted with wonderfully colorful vintage homes lining a brick street and thousands of people.  Moving into the market was like a whimsical dream, hundreds of shops and vendors and antiques lined this beautiful street out of a movie.  The very first colorful house I came to happened to be George Owells home.  I had no idea that he had lived at the entrance of Portebello St next to the famous Alice’s tea shop. I spent hours in the market shopping my day away thinking the whole time how George probably did the same daily.  After I had exhausted my feet and bank account I decided to head back to Bloomsbury.

Upon my return I walked to the hotel to drop off all of my prizes and rest my feet for a bit. This is when fate lead me back to George, I began to get hungry again and decided I should ask the concierge for a good place to eat. He pointed me in the direction of a street full of restaurants near the at Giles hotel. Little did I know I was right back on George’s path. I turned a corner to find an adorable mideval looking building with a pub inside. I read over the menu quickly then decided a British pie sounded like a great idea. Much to my surprise as soon as I walked inside there was a small blue plaque saying “George Orwell spent much time drinking ale here”. At this very moment I realized I had been following this man all day long.  The pub had the most incredible pie and bangers I had the entire trip and the atmosphere made me feel like I was back in time. I felt as if I could look over to the bar and see George sitting with a pint talking politics with a stranger.  I filled my stomach as much as I could and left with great joy knowing fate and let me see the city through the eyes and feel through my feet the story of an incredible man.

As I sit here now reflecting I think I will take a hint from fate and maybe read some George Orwell when I return home.  Today was simply amazing, but still a real animal farm.

imageimageimage

A Step Back in Time

For our free day I thought it would be interesting to visit the Tower of London and Hampton Court Palace. I am really interested in the Tudor dynasty andtherefore believed that it was necessary to see thsee buildings that were so important at the time. Both of them closed at the same time, so I knew that this was going to be a very busy and fast paced day.

The first thing I did when I got to the towet was go on one of the Beefeater tours. It was really entertaining and pretty informative. What was really nice was that since they live inside the Tower they have some personal experiences and inside knowledge that they can share. After the tour I went through a lot of the tower, but I couldn’t see everything I wanted to because I had a long trip to Hampton Court.20160319_122540

20160319_121921

20160319_120954

Getting to Hampton court proved to be much more of a hassle then I anticipated, so it took longer then I would have like to get there. Because of that I only got to see the palace and not the gardens, but I’m not to upset because most of them were added after the Tudor dynasty. The palace was fascinating, but they made it a little cheesy and were trying way to hard to entertain people. For example, they had a soundtrack going in the kitChen so that it sounded like there were workers there. Ignoring that fact, I loved seeing the structure and how it would have been set up during Henry VIII’s reign. There were small little details representing his wives throughout the entire palace, showing the progression of when the remodeling was done.  I just love the fact that such an important part of history has been preserved so well and the attempt to show you what things actually looked like when Henry lived there. It would have been amazing if I could have seen the tennis courts, but I couldn’t find a way to get to them sadly.

20160319_143644

20160319_150730

Free day

While I know pretty much everyone went out on some sort of adventure for our free day, I have been making quite relaxing, enjoying the last day slowly and freely. My morning began not too early, around 8 and after breakfast, I headed to cogent garden. I arrive too early and most venders were not set up yet but I found a chocolate store to buy some goodies and wandered around the streets around covent garden.

At 10:00 or so, I went back to cin vent garden and toured through the isles of venders, which was great because most shoppers for not out yet and it was peaceful. But once I went through the venders, I walked south (maybe) but I was trying to get to temple. After a lot of wrong ways and turnarounds. I found the shop I was looking for twinings tea shop. Although small, it had many many options and it was hard to decide. I ended up buying quite a few types and two cute tins.

image

So after leaving twinings, I was walking towards the underground. Or I thought I was. I ended up finding covent garden again so, I wandered through it again. Today it host arts and crafts such as hand made items. I didn’t find anything that interested me but it was mid afternoon now and I loved the atmosphere. There was a man singing very loudly to a crowd and a man doing magic tricks for children. There were so many people that were just out for a fun afternoon. I enjoyed just people watching for quite a while. Eventually, I bought gelato and headed for the underground.

image

I stopped at a bakery and bought a sandwich and returned to my room for a nap and tea. I plan on going out a bit later again for supper and such but, I got exactly what I wanted, a relaxing day.

South Kensington Day 7

Today was one of my favorite days because we got so much free time. After exploring Westminster Abbey (which was incredible), we headed to Harrod’s because some people wanted to look around. I have to say, Harrod’s was unlike anything I’ve ever seen before: a huge, maze like building, filled with very expensive brand clothes, shoes, furniture, food, toys, Porsches, books, electronics, literally everything. Afterwards we decided to walk down to South Kensington which, as of right now, has been my favorite part of the trip.

South Kensington is a place of obvious wealth, but that’s not what is attractive to me, rather it’s the unique urban context and the facades that interested me. We walked through many squares, small parks, dead end streets, all lined with a mix of colorful and white town homes. I really like this area of London because all of the side streets and alleys seems to have a unique feeling but also were very connected to one another. While in South Kensington, we found a little bakery and grabbed a cupcake and jumped on the Tube to get to the office visit at Allies and Morrison.

South Kensington Tube station

South Kensington Tube station

House in South Kensington

House in South Kensington

The office visit to Allies and Morrison was great! I really liked the firm and the feeling it gave off. Their offices were very cool, and I really enjoyed looking through their projects. After dinner at Wagamama (which to my surprise, was pretty good), we spent the night in Chinatown and went to yet another bakery and got cake. Overall, today was a great day, however I’m a little disappointed that I just now discovered South Kensington, because I wish I had more time to explore.

image

Chinatown

Day Seven

no pictures allowed inside, but the outside is a sight to see as well

This morning began with a visit to Westminster Abbey, which was, as with nearly everything else in London, beautiful. Our tour guide was very witty, and taught us a lot about the space. My favorite part was the space devoted to distinguished scientist such as Newton and Darwin.

a funny caption found at the transportation museum

During my free time following this, I made my first tube trip alone. It was a bit nerve wracking, but I made it exactly where I needed to be! I spent my time visiting the transportation museum, which was easily the most incredible museum I’ve ever been to. First off, the place was filled with even MORE British children. The museum really catered to people of all ages. Secondly, I learned more than I ever imagined. Following free time, half of our group met up to tour the firm Allies and Morrison. I loved the many models scattered throughout the firm.

something I never would have imagined I’d like

We then met back up for a group dinner at Wagamama. Being an extremely picky eater, I was really nervous about this. However, I really enjoyed the meal, and found something I really liked. Afterwards, we explored Chinatown for dessert! It’s been hard going without my fallback- chicken fingers and fries- but I’ve managed, and been forced to go a little out of my comfort zone doing so.
As my time ends here in London, I’m finding myself both excited and sad. I’m very homesick, but I’ve grown a bit attached to the routine I’ve developed over the past week. I’ll miss a lot of things, but I’m excited to get home as well. London has been an incredible introduction to what I hope to be many more adventures to come!

Westminster Abbey- Pho- SOM

Westminster Abbey 1Pho Vietnaminese food

Today is probably one of the most relaxing days during the whole trip. In the morning, I was a little bit surprised to learn that Westminster Abbey served for different purposes, such as markets. In my previous opinion, churches were only used to worships. Then I went to see the great Chapter House, which is a lager version of Salisbury Cathedral’s chapter house. After that, I took the took the tube with Kendra and Kayla to the shopping center near St. Paul’s Cathedral. We had really nice Vietnamese noodle soups there. Mine was not as spicy as I thought, but I still loved it! After we finished our lunch, we went to a Starbucks near St. Paul’s Cathedral. There we had a nice conversation and enjoyed our leisure. In the afternoon, we went to SOM, which is a world-wide famous architecture design firm. I am not too big a fan of skyscrapers, so I thought the tour of the company was okay, but it’s still nice to see some of the models and 3D printed models out there. Then, I had a relay enjoyable conversation with the group at Wagamama. I was not hungry at that time, but the juice and food were very delicious!

Day 6 and 7: Simple and Sweet

Day 6 was really nice. We went to the Temple Church, Middle Temple, and Sir John Soane’s house. I enjoyed the Lincoln Park Fields because it was so peaceful in the middle of the city. I also liked that there was such spectacular places all surrounding the Lincoln Park Fields. The drawings seemed confusing at first but after starting the drawings I enjoyed that part of it. I liked the way my section came out better than my figure/ground. I also enjoyed the fact that we were able to have such amazing free time after that. I wish we had more free time but I understand that that can’t always happen.

Trace surprised me and took me to the Harry Potter Museum which was one of the best experiences I have had. I smiled so much my cheeks hurt. He knew how much I wanted to go but the tickets were sold out for our free day so he decided to get tickets for yesterday. I loved it so much! I would say that that was our Museum of choice and although it wasn’t an architectural museum like Tate Modern or the British Museum but it was spectacular. I loved that there were the real costumes and all the sets! I got to take a picture with the 9 3/4 station. I loved that I got to sit in the flying car and I got to see all these amazing props. It didn’t seem real but it was seriously spectacular.

IMG_6827IMG_6788IMG_6745IMG_6806

Day 7 was pretty simple and sweet. We started the day off with the Westminster Abbey and yet again my perspective and scale was off. I assumed it was huge when it was only big. I thought Westminster Abbey had a bigger ceiling space than St. Pauls and I would have to disagree completely with that statement I had before. I liked Westminster Abbey but I didn’t enjoy the tour guide that much. He was fabulous at his job and I liked what he told me but I wanted to explore it more and read certain plaques. Besides that the Westminster Abbey was really nice. I wanted to sketch the front facade more but I really couldn’t figure out how to warm my fingers up and we only had a small amount of time to do the sketch.

After Westminster Abbey I went to Allies and Morrison. I LOVED it so much! The models were fantastic and I am so glad I went into this major. I love what I do and I can’t wait to get to that level. The models were fabulous and all the different materials used were so fantastic. I loved the tour so much!

Day 3: The Glass Cage

image

Today’s festivities included visiting the British Museum, walking among the high rises of the city, and taking a boat trip to Greenwich; all culminating into a magical day. In contemplation of my experiences, I can’t help but feel impressed upon by my first visit to the British museum. It was an incredible repertoire of knowledge and record. Representing an epitome of a museum experience and a prime example of British exhibitionism, the British Museum struck me with a powerful conviction: the idea of exhibition itself. I am deeply concerned with the interesting conversation about the ethics of the British ownership of the Greek Parthenon. The world becomes a material to be collected, gathered and sorted. Worshipped, conserved and researched. Exploited, colonized, stolen. Ethics becomes relative. How do we gauge cultural and ethical responsibility?

image

This reminds me of the controversial work of performance artists Guillermo Gómez-Peña and Coco Fusco. Their “The Couple in the Cage” challenged these ideas as an ironic reenactment of the imperialist practice of displaying indigenous peoples in exhibition to be empirically exploited by white intellectuals. By performing “The Couple in the Cage” in various museums, Fusco and Gómez-Peña were exposing the racism, colonialism, and voyeurism of developed countries. Appearing five hundred years after Christopher Columbus’ arrival in the Americas, they performed live in museums displayed as an exhibition of Amerindians from an island in the Gulf of Mexico that had somehow been overlooked for five centuries. They called their homeland Guatinau and themselves Guatinauis. Most important to the work includes the reaction of the audience. Filmed, their behavior reveals the racist ideology that exists among a postcolonial society that understands non-western people as primitive and objects of exhibition. Fusco relates “In such encounters with the unexpected, people’s defense mechanisms are less likely to operate with their normal efficiency; caught off-guard, their beliefs are more likely to rise to the surface.”

London lies at the heart of this debate.

My grand English tour.

All great architects throughout history have taken grand tours of Europe. From Jefferson to Soane they have left during their studies to see the buildings and gardens that have influenced and taught them. This idea of experiencing architecture from history first hand is one of the very reasons that I came on this trip. By allowing myself to walk through and understand these buildings I believe I will be a better architect.

From St. Paul’s to Salisbury and Westminster this trip has shown me many incredible buildings from history allowing me to strengthen my foundation of classic architecture. I believe part of the grand tours architects have taken throughout history is seeing these sites back to back. By seeing them in very close time it allowed them to compare and contrast the way the buildings and sites function and exist. This is very true for my trip as well, by comparing Salisbury to Westminster and St. Paul’s in a very short week it allowed me to see what I liked and what worked in these buildings and what did not.  Salisbury was the most successful at provoking the sublime emotion and harassed context of site impeccably. Where Westminster was a site that defiantly relied on the principle more is more.  St. Paul’s cathedral was a soft building set into a beautiful intersect and carries a presence in this city that no other building has modern or historical.  Overall this grand tour of mine has been eye opening and will help me be a better architect and landscape architect in my schooling and career.  No structure is built without a foundation, and mine is being set.

imageimageimage

image

London 7

It’s unbelievable that tomorrow will be our last full day in London. I’ve seen so much, and experienced so much, that I can’t imagine just going back to Columbus and continuing my normal every day routine.

My Mormon friend is in Paris on a mission trip, so he’s only allowed to communicate through email every weekend. My last email, I sent him a few pictures from London, just the highlights from the day, since I hadn’t been here that long. But when I went to right him back another one today, I was overwhelmed looking through all the pictures I had taken throughout the week, trying to pick and choose out of the hundreds which few I should send him. It really put into perspective all we’ve done on this trip and all the places and memories I captured that meant something to me.

Knowing today was one of the few days we had left, I tried to step out of my comfort zone in my free time and explore more. I ate Mexican food for the first time, and even tried to choose  some things from wagamama’s that I hadn’t had before. Even when faced with the option of taking the Tube to our location versus walking, I chose to walk to further immense myself in areas I wasn’t familiar with. Overall, I can’t wait to see what my last day in London has to offer!

Day 4 and 5: sublime is an understatement

imageimage

Day 4 was seriously one of the best days of my life. It was my favorite day by far! I loved Stonehenge and wanted to sketch it so bad. I loved the atmosphere, and I was giddy like a little kid in a candy shop. I loved how unique it is and that nothing can truly compare to this experience or atmosphere. I enjoyed the fact that it was pretty abruptly there in the middle of no where. The sheep were not really helping the atmosphere but it was pretty funny to see them so close to such a historical and amazing place.

Stourhead was beyond what I expected. I felt like I couldn’t breathe and after Stourhead my cheeks hurt from smiling too much. The colors of yellow, green, and blue were fabulous. Those colors are just so relaxing and happy which helped the atmosphere. I was disappointed with the little water but the experience altogether was magnificent and truly hard to explain with words. The grotto was more than I imagined. I loved how picturesque everything was and I didn’t want to leave. I wanted more time at Stourhead and Stonehenge to sketch and really take in everything that was around me.

Salisbury I was pretty disappointed in but it was still a great experience. I loved the Cathedral so much, it was so gothic and open. The stone glass was such a rich blue, it truly was mesmerizing. I enjoyed sketching the archway and was really relaxed after that. It was kind of cold and muggy which I didn’t enjoy but overall the Cathedral was amazing. I wish I could have stayed at the Cathedral the entire time. The Salisbury city didn’t really fascinate me. I enjoyed the small bakery but the festival was not my cup of tea. Overall, it was a fabulous day and I enjoyed it all.
Day 5 was nothing compared to day 4. The Kew gardens were lovely but nothing compared to the day before. I was disappointed with the Kew gardens but the bright flowers and adorable little places filled with flowers were fabulous. I loved the Diana memorial place. The flowers were breathtaking and so unique. I love orchids so those were great! We left Kew gardens a little early and got ready for tea. Tea was so adorable. Everyone looked amazing and it was wonderful to see everyone dressed up and laughing. The tea was not as good as American tea (which is kind of biased) but again I loved the tea time.
I also enjoyed trying to beat Troy to the National Gallery… We sadly lost but I loved having to figure out way around the Trafalgar Square while rushed. We were laughing the entire time and it brought everyone closer.
Day 5 was a great day and I truly am grateful for all these wonderful experiences.

image

image

I can’t get my photos to upload correctly so I can only post a couple 🙁

Uniquely me

The evening of our free museum day, I was finally able to go to The Sherlock Holmes Museum. I had been waiting to go since I decided to go on the trip. It was rather difficult to find, as it is between 237 and 241 Baker Street despite the address being 221B Baker Street. The museum is quite cheeky looking like one of the typical cafes. Next to the museum entrance is the famous door to Sherlock Holmes and Dr. John Watson’s flat.

Door to the far left with museum on the right

Before you can enter the flat, you have to buy a ticket from the counter in the back of the gift shop. The ticket was £15 that gets you in to the flat itself which is dressed in a Victorian era style, like when Sherlock and Watson would have lived there along with all the employees in traditional Victorian era costumes.

You never truly go through the main flat door, there is a door to the front entrance are of the flat from inside the gift shop area where you show a man your ticket to enter. Walking in to the front entrance, you take the stairs to the second floor which houses Sherlock’s bedroom and study.

image

image

image

The second floor had another living space and a small office that was full of items such as books and pictures. There was a guest book to sign as well. The one prominent part of the second floor though was the wax figurines. I did not stay there long as I found them rather creepy but they were presenting specific scenes from the stories.

Overall, I had a wonderful evening and acquired some pretty neat souvenirs. I am still so happy I was able to visit this small little museum of one of my favorite literary characters and feel as if I was back in the Victoria era.

image

London Eye

Going on the London Eye was truly a remarkable experience! I had never been on a Ferris wheel this high so it was nice to be on one this high! I went on the Sky Wheel in Myrtle Beach, which was nice, but it did not offer views like the London Eye did. Most of the sites that we had visited were visible from the Eye.

image

The iconic Big Ben can be seen in this picture. It was nice to see this again since our time by the boat launch was limited. image
Although hard to see because I took this with my iPhone, St. Paul’s Cathedral can be seen behind another building. This also shows how massive the cathedral really is, because it towers over the surrounding buildings!

image

Of course the Shard is visible from the Eye, but I like how this picture shows the isolation of the Shard from the other larger skyscrapers of London.

image

A lot of the bridges can also be seen quite well and being high in the air, it can be seen that many important buildings and sites are linked together by these.

image

There was also a wonderful view of the sunset while at the top of the eye, which can be seen here. The views were incredible and it was definitely a wonderful experience!

image

Outside of London

image

Tuesday was a magnificent day with blue skies and a lot of fun. We started the day by taking a bus to Stonehenge, Stourhead, and finally Salisbury.

image

Our next stop was Stourhead. I am not one to enjoy gardens, but Stourhead is one location I would absolutely love to go back to. Something about the gardens made me feel free and relaxed.

image
In the picture above you may notice that lake is not fully filled. You would think that would be disappointing, but it turned out to be a very interesting treat! While sketching the bridge a lovely off-duty tour guide approached us and talked about the retaining wall along the bank of the lake. The stone is not normally there, but due to a valve problem the lake had to be partially drained. She explained how Henry the Magnificent had the walls put along embankment. It was very nice to talk to the local tour guide with an abundant amount of passion about the gardens.

image

Out last stop of the day was Salisbury Cathedral. Salisbury Cathedral introduced me to gothic style. I learned that I am not a big fan of gothic style, it just felt very grim and dark inside. The building was still majestic and beautiful though, just not my type of style!

Salisbury

The day trip to Stonehenge, Stourhead, and Salisbury was absolutely incredible. Salisbury was a quite little town out in the English countryside, which was also quite amazing. We were there to visit the cathedral, but we also got to visit the town and even a market. The cathedral was quite amazing and I found out that due to the dirt being too sandy, the cathedral actually sank a little bit causing the spire to have a noticeable bend in it. image

One of the most incredible parts of the cathedral was the fan vault ceiling in the chapter house. The detail and difficulty of this vault is truly amazing and definitely worth the visit.image

This picture doesn’t fully capture the ceiling, due to it being too big to photograph. However, it does show enough of it to really appreciate the craftsmanship that went into making it. imageLooking down the aisles to the back of the cathedral is also great. After finishing our own tour of the cathedral, we just sat down in the transepts to sketch for a little bit. Upon completion of a few sketches, we sat at the front of the nave, giving us a view from one end of the cathedral to the other. It was so peaceful just sitting there and taking it all in. image

We also stopped at a bakery in the town and got some amazing pastries and sandwiches!image

We also got to see the tomb of the first person buried in the cathedral, which was truly incredible! Overall this was an incredible day!

Day 6

Yesterday we started off our day by taking the Tube to Temple which is one of my new favorite places. Temple is filled with cobblestone streets, courtyards and fountains, and is a quiet escape from the busy city. While in Temple, we explored Middle Temple Hall and Temple church, which are both situated on a courtyard, one with a double hammerbeam roof, and one with great stain glass windows.

image

Temple, near Middle Temple Hall

After Temple, we went up to Covent Garden which is also a new favorite of mine. The market stalls, the food, the street performers, and St. Paul’s Covent Garden all made this place very unique. During this time, we also explored Sir John Soanes Museum which was very quirky but fascinating at the same time. On our way back to Covent Garden for lunch, we stopped in a place called Neal’s Yard which was a cool place we had researched before coming.

image
After grabbing lunch and looking around the markets of Covent Garden we headed to our museum of choice, Tate Modern. Although I’m not a huge modern art fan, I really enjoyed walking through Tate. After wondering around the museum, we took the Tube to the Sherlock Holmes museum and we enjoyed walking through Regents Park. On our way back, we took the Tube during peak which was interesting, fun, and stressful all at the same time. I have never seen so many people cram into such a small space before. When our stop came, we had to fight to get through people. To end the night, we had dinner at a pub near the hotel.

Stourhead

Going to Stourhead was probably one of the highlights of this trip. It was so picturesque and it felt completely surreal being there.  All I could think about was the fact that this was someone’s backyard and how amazing it would be to have a yard like that.

IMG_20160315_124621

We just had so much fun walking around and feeling like children again. There were so many trees that would have made the perfect clubhouses! So many looked so climbable as well! I just wanted to climb one tree and read a book, but it was not the time or place.  Hanging out within tight tree groves by the waters edge was something that was acceptable and fun though.

20160315_121009

It felt like the grotto was a gem that you stumbled upon when you turn the corner.  The stones were so old and beautifully placed, creating a magical cave.  The windows framed the other foldies in the garden flawlessly, adding to the picturesque experience of the garden.

20160315_121509

I also loved seeing the pantheon follie, but I wish I had seen the real pantheon beforehand.  We talked to one of the workers and he told us that the follie is exactly 1/5th the size of the actual pantheon. He also told us about the statues inside and how they represent gods and goddesses from different cultures. It was really informative taliking to him and made the experience in the gardens that much better.

20160315_122355

Day 5: The Things I Love the Most

“‘I don’t feel very much like Pooh today,’ said Pooh.

‘There there,’ said Piglet. ‘I’ll bring you tea and honey until you do.’”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Today was fancy tea day, and let me just say I have been looking forward to it! I am one of those tea people with the cute cups and a diffuser, etc, plus I’m an Anglophile, so I am always more than ready to enjoy any experience that will make me feel like I am on Downton Abbey. And the cafe at The Natoinal Gallery was so nice, too. I really did feel like I was having a very distinct cultural experience.

Tea time is the best time!

Tea time is the best time!

I have always been jealous of cultures  that rest in the middle of the day like the Spanish with their siestas and the British with teatime. I have a bone to pick with American culture for not allowing a time to rest during the day. I think we all need it. I tend to fall asleep in weird places without my midday nap. I also wonder if tea during the day doesn’t help to bring the country together around a proverbial table. It is a tradition which has changed in time. Needless to say, I really enjoyed the experience.

Sophie Ryder's installations at Salisbury Cathedral created a contrast between the medieval and modern, asking the viewer to think about their surroundings in a new way.

Sophie Ryder’s installations at Salisbury Cathedral created a contrast between the medieval and modern, asking the viewer to think about their surroundings in a new way.

I’ve been fortunate enough to have two friends living in London currently who I have been able to meet up with. One of them asked me tonight what I would miss most when I went home. After thinking for a moment, I answered the value and variety of public art. Many museums are free, books are advertised in the Underground, and contemporary art appears even in places of worship like Sophie Ryder’s sculptures at Salisbury cathedral. Appreciation of art, especially in the public sphere is not very common in America. I am becoming more and more inspired to work on my idea of finding  my own responses to the city captured in image and poetry for my final project. I want it to take the sprit of this place, and use the inspiration that it gives me to create even more art.

Day 5

We began our day at Temple, which consisted of a combination of many beautiful architectural spaces and courtyards. The history that coincides with this space is incredible, as is the history in all of London itself. I often forget how old everything is. The other day I sent my mom a picture of St. Paul’s Cathedral, and she responded “That’s older than America.” It’s something I find myself having a really time grasping.

a silly face I found in a beautiful church in Temple

We then went to Covent Garden, which was really cool. Inside the church, we watched some children having a debate regarding vegetarian versus meat diets. An odd subject, but adorable nonetheless. I could have stayed there all day, but after a while I made it outside. We spent a lot of time exploring the marketplace, and got a really nice lunch there.

Following Covent Garden, we went to Tate Modern. I was really excited to see work by my favorite artist, Salvador Dali. I also really enjoyed a couple of views that revealed the previous industrial life of the building. The recycling of this space into a modern art exhibit really interests me.

Salvador Dali work!

Salvador Dali work!

We ended our day of exploration with a short walk through Regent’s Park. We had intended a much more active visit, but at this point we were exhausted. We took a seat on a bench right by the water, and laughed at the various birds surrounding us all while watching the sun set.

sunset at Regents Park

sunset at Regents Park

We made our way back to the hotel via the tube (which is now my all time favorite mode of public transportation, and I will hate to say goodbye to it so soon). We made rush hour, which was super exciting for me. It amazed me that public transportation had a rush hour like this. Part of me was really excited that it was so popular, but part of me really wanted to not be smashed between strangers. It was interesting. I’m excited for another day filled with London tomorrow!

My Fourth Day

The journey continues…..My fourth day involved a series of awestruck and dream-like moments.  To begin with, visiting Stonehenge was surreal.  I am grateful to have seen in person the historic site as Stonehenge not only belongs to English history, but also to world history.  I find the area that surrounds Stonehenge to be scenic, inspiring, and calming owing to the open and rolling expanses of fields.  The use of pillars in the design of the Visitor Centre provides contrast to the acres of unobstructed fields.  Second, visiting Stourhead was a dream that turned into reality.  I was amazed at the amount of greenery planted at the site.  Everywhere I turned, my eyes were refreshed with trees, flowers, or leaves.  Among the follies, I, in particular, like the bridge as grass spills throughout it from the surrounding area.  I appreciate the maximization of nature at Stourhead.  For instance, the leaf-lined branches that billow from a tree provide cover for a portion of a path.  Also, arrows are carved into rocks in order to provide directions to visitors as they explore the site on foot.  Third, the scale of Salisbury Cathedral stunned me.  Owing to its enormity, the cathedral renders the visitor minuscule not only in the literal and physical sense, but also in the sense of worth or value.  The enormous scale of the building serves to reinforce the divinity of Heaven and the aim of humans to reach Heaven in the next life.  Overall, I appreciated spending time in the countryside as doing so allowed me to catch a break from the hustle and bustle of the city that is London.  I enjoyed experiencing the softer side of England via lush nature, quaint streets, and celebrated heritage.

image

* The pillars of the Visitor Centre at Stonehenge contrast to the vast emptiness of the environs

image     imageimage     image

* At Stourhead, trees provide cover over segments of paths and rocks provide directions via carved arrows

My Third Day

The journey continues…..Visiting the British Museum was an ideal way to start the day as doing so allowed me to experience the Great Court without the presence of loads of people.  The museum is full of historical treasures from all over the world which renders it an establishment that must be explored.  The Great Court of the British Museum stunned me.  I appreciate the engineering involved in the curvilinear glass roof structured via the diagrid system.  In addition, I find that the flow of light into the court activates the space to serve as the unifier of the wings of the British Museum.  It is interesting that the British Museum acquired treasures from countries all over the world.  For instance, the museum houses friezes from the Parthenon located in Greece.  It is difficult to provide a concrete or clearcut answer regarding whether or not it is appropriate for the British to keep the treasures which culturally trace back to places outside of the United Kingdom.  By virtue that the treasures are culturally related to places outside of the United Kingdom, the treasures should be returned to those places.  The argument, however, could also be that the United Kingdom possesses the resources to study and preserve historical treasures, thus the United Kingdom should be allowed to keep the treasures.  Second, I am interested in High-Tech architecture.  As such, viewing the skyscrapers, Lloyd’s Building, 30 St. Mary Axe, and Leadenhall Building, upclose allowed me to acknowledge the scale of the structural elements.  Third, visiting Greenwich was surreal.  The area with the royal buildings appeared to me as a set for the film adaptations of British literary works.  The facades of the historical buildings of Greenwich and the facades of the skyscrapers of London contrast.  The facades of the historical buildings are detailed owing to ornate carvings.  Investment was put into creating ornamented shells for the buildings so that the buildings indicate the grandiose, revered, and opulent lifestyle of the royal residents.  The facades of the skyscrapers, on the other hand, are detailed owing to the display of the mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems, as well as the structure.  As such, systems and structure perform double duty.  Not only do systems and structure provide utility for the skyscrapers, but the systems and structure also render the skyscrapers with a raw aesthetic.

image

* The iconic Great Court of the British Museum

image     image      image

* The systems and the structure are displayed on the facades of the contemporary buildings

My Second Day

My second day in London was once again exciting, full, and pleasant as it involved a lot of walking and informative sightseeing.  Certain thoughts and observations popped in my mind as I explored London via foot.  To begin with, I like the dichotomy of City Hall, a modern glass-and-steel building placed on a side of the River Thames, and Tower of London, an old stone-and-mortar building placed on the other side of the river.  River Thames could serve as a line of division that separates City Hall and Tower of London which were constructed at different periods in English history, which were built using common and available materials in accordance to timeframe, and which exemplify aesthetics of distinct architectural styles; however, the river also serves as a unifier of the two buildings, threading City Hall and Tower of London into the fabric of the city to create a whole urban identity open to architectural evolution.  Second, I find that London is filled with bridges that function to link upper and lower London via the River Thames.  Though bridges are not buildings, to me, bridges are nonetheless architectural as bridges engage people, contribute to industrialization, and involve both structure and aesthetics.  Among the bridges in London, I, in particular, appreciate Millenium Bridge and Tower Bridge.  Millenium Bridge and Tower Bridge, similar to City Hall and Tower of London, serve as a dichotomy as the former is a contemporary bridge constructed from glass and steel, whereas the latter is an historic bridge constructed from masonry units.  Third, visiting Hyde Park at the end of the day after viewing a sheer number of buildings was a welcome respite.  The expansive and open space, the greenery, and the water features rejuvenated me, allowed me to catch my breath, and permitted me to view scenery beyond buildings.  At the park, there is a long and wide grass path lined with trees for which I specifically possess an affinity; with that said, if a future studio project of mine involves the development of outdoor space, I would refer to this for guidance.

image

* A detail of the structure of Millenium Bridge

image

* The iconic Tower Bridge viewed in the morning

image

* Trees meet sky at Hyde Park

image

* The grass path at Hyde Park for which I possess an affinity

My First Day

My first day in London was exciting, full, and pleasant. Several key thoughts and observations appeared in my mind owing to my experience on my first day in the city.  To begin with, I find that though the British possess the inclination towards progression, forward-thinking, and development (for instance, London introduced the world’s first sewer system; the world’s first department store; and the world’s first underground train system), they are conscious to celebrate their history (for instance, notable Brits are buried at Westminster Abbey and St. Paul’s Cathedral; signages that indicate the former residences of past notable individuals are found on the facades of the buildings at Bedford Square; and the Museum of London was established to serve as the venue that would record the events that shape the city of London).  The British seem interested in coupling the past with the present as seen by the presence of skyscrapers that were not only built via modern technology and engineering, but were designed to preserve the sight lines that lead to St. Paul’s Cathedral, a building that encapsulates centuries-worth of London history.  Second, the Barbican Centre surprised me in a positive way.  Brutalism, which is the style of the buildings of the center, can be cold and uninviting; however, the harshness and the hardness of the concrete are tempered and softened by the vibrancy of the greenery and the fluidity of the water.  The involvement of reciprocal invasion between water and walkable area in the design of the plaza is smart and sensible as it engages the residents with their outdoor environment.  The center serves as ideal public housing owing to the level of amenities available for the residents.  Third, viewing the city from the roof deck of One New Change was an ideal way to cap off my first day in London as doing so not only allowed me to view St. Paul’s Cathedral from above ground, but also in relevance to the contemporary buildings.  The opportunity provided me a glimpse of the buildings I would visit, along with my classmates, in subsequent days.

image

* The iconic facade of St. Paul’s Cathedral

image

* The dome of St. Paul’s Cathedral viewed at sunset from the roof deck of One New Change

image     image

* At the plaza of Barbican Centre, water invades walkable area and walkable area invades water

image

* A sketch of a door found at St. Paul’s Cathedral

Kew Gardens

Kew Gardens Palm House
Yesterday, we went to Kew Gardens. The weather was a little bit chilly, but I was glad to see a variety of different kinds of plants. It’s a lot of work to keep so many plants and take good care of them. It was really warm and beautiful inside the green houses. In the afternoon, I went from Kew to National Gallery. I went on the train with other people first, and I kept falling asleep. I really appreciate that they woke me up and let me sit close to them so I got off train on time. Then I took the tube to Charing Cross to National Gallery. When I first went to the gallery, I bought a map, and I was very ambitious to see all of it. I was planning to go to each room on first floor from right of the building to the left. But there are too many corridors which lead to different rooms, and I think I finished almost two thirds of the first floor. On the first floor, there were many colorful religious paintings. I wanted to glance through as much as I could, but I stopped to see stories for those which seem special and unusual to me. After that, I went to tea with everyone and had nice chats with people. The deserts are sugary, but I enjoyed their tastes.

London 5

Green days are always my favourite, because I find a certain peace in their natural atmosphere. So I was ecstatic to get to spend a chunk of my time today exploring the vast opportunities within Kew Gardens. Throughout many of the conservatories, my appreciation for plants was well known as I constantly explored every inch of the greenery filled buildings until there was no plant I hadn’t gaped at. I didn’t have to go far to find some wondrous views, as the first breathtaking moment I had was in the Princess of Wales conservatory, walking underneath a canopy of orchids.

imageimage

Having the plants hang down right above me seemed like I was in a dream, walking through a tunnel of flowers. It was an amazing experience introduced to that space in such a way that it quickly became one of my favorites. However, once again my bias towards my family’s culture came into play as I made my way over to the Japanese gateway. I immediately was taken with the zen landscape created around the gateway. I’ve always been a fan of zen gardens, and this was no exception. I’ve actually got one small zen garden in my dorm, and one I have formally resting in my living room back home. image

After some exciting moments of pictures, we went to leave and this little buddy came right up and posed for us. Not wanting to disappoint, I took on the temporary job of professional photographer for this model:

image

He was my favourite client to work with.

Today however, was not as nice weather-wise as the previous day, missing the sun and loathing the clouds a bit more. Especially as most of us were in dresses for the tea, we had a tough time ignoring the cold. However, a team always sticks together and we chose to stick together, LITERALLY, and create a huddle when outside.

image

Fortunately, we soon made it to the London eye and we were rewarded with both warmth AND a fantastic view. Blocka Flocka Flame brought more warmth to the table when we all got together and took a fire photo.

image

At the end of the day, good memories were made and the feeling of being cold just melts away.

Kew Gardens

imageToday I realized that at the end of every day I say the same thing, “Today was my favorite day!”  It’s Wednesday night, and I am saying this phrase yet again.  Today we ventured out to the quaint town of Kew and Kew Gardens.

The town was so cute with little cafes and boutiques.  These shops soon turned into expensive homes.  The houses were so cute and every one was slightly different in its own unique way.

When we got to te gardens, the first thing I noticed was how big the park was by looking at the map.  It was huge! In the 3 hours we were there, we probably only saw about 20% of the whole park.

First, we explored the Palm House.  It was so hot, but it was really neat to walk under the canopies of all of the trees.  The best part about the palm house was the upper walkway.  This walkway offered a whole new view of the plants, which was amazing.  I really liked the character the design of the spiral staircase leading to this walkway offered.

Palm House

Palm House

After leaving the Palm House, we went to the Temple of Aeolus.  We climbed the hill and there was a beautiful view of the gardens below.  This folly was nice because it was tucked away on the hillside and kind of private.

We then explored the Princess of Wales Conservatory, which I really enjoyed.  My favorite part of this one was definitely the air plants hanging from the ceiling.  In one area there were flowering plants hanging with their roots exposed above our heads.  It was very interesting to me how these plants capture all of their nutrients through the air.

We explored the other gardens and went to the Orangery for lunch.  While all of these conservatories were beautiful, my favorite part, above all, was definitely the fields of yellow daffodils.  I was in awe of how many there were and how bright and magnificent their yellow color was.  Of course I had to sketch these because I wanted to remember the pool of yellow spanning across the landscape.  There were times as I was walking that no matter which way I turned, I was surrounded by these fields of yellow.

I wanted to capture the brilliant shades of yellow and green in my sketch.

I guess what they say about yellow meaning happiness is true, because these swarms of yellow flowers definitely brightened my day.  Not only did they highlight the beauty of the landscape at Kew, but also were a highlight to my whole trip to London.

Surrounded by Daffodils

Surrounded by Daffodils

Stonehenge or Stourhead

I was asked in our way home from our day trip which I liked better, Stonehenge or Stourhead. To answer shortly, I said neither. I don’t like one over the other. They’re both special to me in different ways.

When it comes to Stonehenge, I have seen pictures and documentaries on it for my whole life. It comes with so many theories, it’s scary to think about. From ancient civilizations to aliens, who knows what we could have been looking at. The opportunity we had to visit such an unknown site is amazing.

image

Stourhead, on the other hand, was something I had never heard of unti 2300 with Aimee. Even then, arriving to the site I didn’t remember exactly what it was but I was amazed. I have never seen something so beautiful and cared for. From the secrets on the trail, to the smell of the flowers in bloom, to the warm sunny day we were so lucky to have, I couldn’t have dreamed of something like that. As soon as we returned to the hotel, I looked up the original painting to compare to an image I took and I was pleasantly surprised by how similar they really were.

Original painting

Original painting

My image

My image

So, to answer the original question, I loved them both. Our adventure was overall was a day well spent and easily on of my favorites so far.

Kew Gardens

The first thing we did today was visit Kew Gardens. When we arrived we walked directly to the Palm House. It was amazing, the entire building was full of different kinds of tropical plants. There were two white, spiral staircases that went up to a second level where you could look down over everything. After the Plam House we ventured over to the Waterlily House, unfortunately it was closed. The walk over was lovely though, so it was worth it. We stopped to take pictures in a field of flowers. Next we went to the Princess of Wales Conservatory. There were beautiful orchids hanging from the railings and the ceiling. We walked around some more and eventually ended up at The Orangey. We stopped here to eat (the chocolate cake was amazing!). After this we went on the Treetop Walkway. It was cool, but I think it would have been better if the trees still had leaves. We climbed down from the walkway and walked over to the Temperate House. It was closed for restoration, but at this point we were close to the Japanese Gateway so we went there instead. There was bamboo, Japanese cherry blossoms, and a little house with a garden. From here we could also see the pagoda. It was almost time to go, so we wandered back through the gardens to the exit. We crossed a crossed a pond and saw a peacock on our way back. It was a great day!

image image image

London Days Two and Three

I can’t believe we are almost half at through our trip to London! We have had three fantastic days since day one! The walking tour of London was so awesome! I loved being able to really get up close and personal with some of Londons site old and young. I really enjoyed taking note of where the big sky scrapers were as a point of reference to see how far we had walked on our second day walking tour.

Walkie Talkie in the background of older buildings

While this day was a lot of walking out last stops were really something that I looked forward to. I was extremely pleased with the Princess Diana Memorial and was even more happy to see the joy it also brought to David. It showed that this memorial really lets the people of Great Britian appreciate her legacy. I was so happy to get to our final stop of the day at our group dinner. The totally stats of the day were quite the surprise.

Day two stats

Day two stats

Day Three was aslo a treat! Starting off at the British Museme I walked around with Rachel, Trace and Logan and visited the “Top 10” things go see there and did some sketching. I think the best sketch I’ve done on this trip so far was done of the Nereid Monument in the Greek section of the Museum.

Nierid monument at Thd British Museum

Nereid monument at The British Museum

To finish off the day, we took our boat ride to Greenwich. I think this was my favorite part of the day. I love water and I love being on the water so experiencing London from the water was a exhilarating experience. I stayed up too the whole time until Logan dragged me down to the lower level at the end! I got lots of great pictures. Our ending stats were not as impressive as day two but they still surprised me when I went to take my end of the day screenshot!

Stats day three

Stats day three

Boat ride to Greenwich

Boat ride to Greenwich

Stonehenge, Stourhead, and Salisbury, oh my!

Today we spent our day outside the city of London, in the English countryside.  It was an early morning, as we boarded the bus at 7 AM, but despite this, today was probably my favorite day so far.  Among our journey we explored Stonehenge, Stourhead, and Salisbury.

Our first stop was Stonehenge.  After about 2 hours of driving we arrived at the site, eager to see this mysterious work of art.  After seeing a couple signs along the way of Stonehenge ahead, I was very surprised when I looked up from my seat on the bus and Stonehenge was there, next to the highway, like it was no big deal.

Stonehenge

Stonehenge

After taking the shuttle to the site of the stones, we walked around the entire site.  I knew that one side looked more complete than the others, but I was surprised by how many different views there really were.  I found it very interesting.  Every few steps you took revealed a whole new take on the site.

This idea of new views around every corner continued at our experience at Stourhead.  Stourhead was AMAZING.  I love parks and nature, but Stourhead blew everything away by far.  It’s interesting because every site I have seen on the trip I have learned about in class and I have expectations for them.  I have learned that everything is so much better than I had ever imagined.  Stourhead was one of the places, especially the grotto.  In class we learned about how grottos were small, cave-like spaces often with the presence of water.  The grotto was nothing like I pictured.  It was so much better.  It was beautifully planned out and constructed to incorporate statues, fountains, and Windows looking out over the lake.image

As we walked around the lower path we saw other follies and another grotto.  As we explored the grotto, we realized they were steps leading up to the temple of Apollo.  With only a short amount of time left and still in need of a place to sketch, we hurried up the hill. The view from up there was beautiful.  The Temple of Apollo was so much bigger than it seemed and so detailed.  I sketched the temple and we hurried back to the bus, but not before taking one last look at the picturesque view of the landscape.

Picturesque view of Stourhead

Picturesque view of Stourhead

The final stop on our trip was the town of Salisbury.  I was excited for this stop because I knew we were going to gm see the Salisbury Cathedral, and I love cathedrals.  There’s just something about the grandness and over-the-top ornamentation that appeals to me.

The village was very quaint with many shops, restaurants, and bakeries.  We looked around the market that was set up today and bought a couple things.  We decided to grab a quick snack at the bakery next to the market, and I got a bacon and cheese puff pastry and a chocolate eclair.  The pastry was very good and the eclair was delicious!

The sky got cloudy and the wind picked up, so we headed over to the cathedral where we spent the next two hours.image

The cathedral was massive. Coming around the corner from the town you can’t see it.  Once you turn the corner the cathedral and its tall spire are suddenly towering above you.  We walked over to the west works and entered.  First, we explored the chapter house.  It was an octagon shaped room with gorgeous stained glass windows.  I loved this space.  The chapter house is home to the Magna Carta.  It was amazing to get the chance to look at this governing document first hand.

I then ventured over to the nave of the cathedral and was blown away.  The nave seemed to be never ending.  The arches and flying buttresses were amazing.  There were so many spaces within the cathedral that it seemed every time you thought that you had gone to all the spaces possible, you would find another room you could enter.  It was truly amazing.  The stained glass was gorgeous, as well.  Another interesting feature was the baptismal font in the nave.  The pool of water poured out in four streams on the corners of the basin.  The top of the water was so calm that a perfect reflection could be seen on its surface. It was incredible.  One of the best parts of sitting in the cathedral sketching was the music of the organ in the background.  It was a wonderful experience.image

Overall, this entire day was incredible. It was full of exciting surprises and adventure.  I was excited to go to these places before the trip because they are all such well-known places, but after visiting them I now truly understand why they are so important.

Exploring Outside the City

Today we got a break from the busy city of London, and instead experienced some of the more peaceful spots this country has to offer. We started off around 6:50 am, which although I was not happy about at the time, got us to Stonehenge right as it opened. We were some of the first people to visit that day, so we had a chance to really appreciate what was in front of us. (And take lots of pictures). My mom is very interested in Stonehenge, so I grew up with books about it all over the house. It was moving to see it in person, and not just a book cover. It almost didn’t feel real.

Stonehenge

Stonehenge

Next up, we took a stroll around the wonderful Stourhead. Pictures just don’t do it justice. This place was beyond beautiful. It’s been such a busy few days, so I really enjoyed a chance to sit and think for a second.

Stourhead

Lastly, we ended the day in Salisbury. We wandered around a market, where I scored a Beatles record. The man selling the records let me take the record out to check the condition, and seemed genuinely excited about music. It was interesting to see all sorts of people coming together for this biweekly event in the town. It makes me wish we had more market places back home in Columbus. We then worked our way through little shops in the town. My favorite was a book store, where everything was five pounds or less. I got a really interesting book on city planning for only three pounds! Our walk led us to the incredible Salisbury Cathedral- home to one of the four Magna Cartas. A man told us about the frieze surrounding the chapter house where the Magna Carta was, and how it relates to the Bible. It was very beautiful work.

Salisbury Cathedral

Salisbury Cathedral

Wow, I can’t believe we have already been in London for four days! London has been good to me and I am thoroughly enjoying every minute of the trip.

Yesterday we went on a huge walking tour of London, and visited many sites. We walked a total of 12.84 miles and 26,136 steps before returning to the hotel.

Distance

It was fantastic to get a nice walking tour of London with a very knowledgeable tour guide. One of the sites we visited during the walking tour was Princess Diana’s Memorial in Hyde Park.

image

Princess Diana Memorial was very breath taking to see in person. The memorial was open in 2004 by Her Majesty the Queen. The memorial itself is a water based memorial, made with granite, which are two simple elements. Her memorial is some place you just want go and relax. The memorial is meant to reflect her life with the ripples in the water, and the ups and downs before landing in a small calm pool of water. Overall the memorial was a sight to see and would recommend it to anyone traveling to Hyde Park.

image

Post 3, Day 4

What another great day!! I think today has been my favorite day of the whole trip. I am from a small farm town and grew up on a farm, so I was looking forward to getting to see the country side of England.

Our first stop of the day was Stonehenge which was awe striking when I finally got up close. I love the mystery that is behind it and the secrets of history it holds. I also loved how the land around it is primarily pastures being grazed by herds of sheep. The sheep reminded me of how simple life is and how way back thousands of years ago when stone henge was built the simplistic lifestyle those individuals would have held.

From there we continued on to Stourhead which I think was easily the most beautiful place I have ever been. I am in love with trees, I particularly love trees that wind with giants roots that wrap you up in it and Stourhead had an endless supply. The grottos there with the moss covered imported Italian stone were a beautiful creation as well. My only wish was that more things were in bloom!!

Next we went to the town of Salisbury. I loved the quaintness of the town, more so than the hustle and bustle of London. I enjoyed an afternoon of window shopping and stopping in one too many bakeries. I also found a beautiful tea store and bought myself my very first teacup! (Which was probably a bad idea because I think I want to start collecting them now.) Then after we continued onto the Salisbury cathedral which I think I found even more gorgeous than Saint Paul’s! I loved the spire and the attention to detail and most of all of the stain glass windows!! I give this day a 10/10 even with the four hour total bus ride!

image

I loved getting to see these sheep up close! I grew up around farm animals and it was wonderful seeing them amongst the rolling hills and so close to the stones!

image

This picture still amazes me! I can’t believe I actually got to see the stones in person!

image

My favorite winding trees at Stourhead! Absolutely beautiful.

image

What I loved about this bridge can’t be seen in this photo. The walkway of the bridge was covered in grass and felt like it was such a unique, but complete part of the landscape.

image

Drawing of the bridge!

image

A picture of me and the beautiful grotto stones! I loved the feeling of exploring at Stourhead, it felt like an adult playground.

image

Salisbury was a gorgeous town! Felt very homey and quaint!

image

Best pastry shops I have found in all of England were in Salisbury.

image

Salisbury cathedral the attention to detail both inside and out were impeccable!

image

My first teacup encompasses one of my favorite things: Disney!!

Post 2, day 3

Yesterday was the first day where I felt peaceful in the rush of the big city of London. To start the day off we visited the British Museum, which has the prettiest architecture on the outside and a marvelous ceiling over the courtyard. Inside I spent the majority of the time looking at the Parthenon. Which I had very strong feelings for surprisingly. I think it’s awful that it’s being held captive here and not in its rightful home in Athens. I read a sign in the museum that said 60% of the Parthenon is being held here in London while the other 40% is being held in Athens. I feel like the lord that took all of the artifacts stole a very important piece of Greek history from the Grecian people.

Later in the day we took the tube to Westminster where I finally got a breif look at Big Ben and Westminster. We then took a very comical boat ride out to Greenwich passing by the exact spot where the mayflower took sail to America. At Greenwich we visited the royal dining hall and the Royal chapel and I must say it was beautiful!! I finished the night in Jamie Oliver’s  restaurant with some friends from the trip. The atmosphere there was amazing and the food was even better. The place had fresh garlic hanging by the kitchen and a beautiful skylight Ceiling. As a table we got a bunch of starters, I had the best dark green mammoth olives I’ve ever had, crab bruschetta, and fried calamari and fish. For my main dish I got the pasta bolognese! I think this will be my favorite meal I had in London.

Some pictures of my day:

image

Here is a model of the Parthenon. It is my dream to go to Greece one day and see the remains of this beauty

image

I found this quote while walking around the British museum and I found it quite fitting for this trip and adventure I am on in London

image

The outside of the British museum is beautiful!

image

Me and my new love Ben

image

Jamie Oliver’s restaurant will now forever hold a spot in my heart!

image

My solid attempt of sketching the courtyard at the British museum

Day 3 British Museum

British Museum Court Room

image

Yesterday I visited British Museum, and I was glad to see my favorite, exquisite European designed plates, jewelry, and glass. When I was younger in middle school, I learned about how Brits exploited China and other places and snapped those valuable treasures from these countries, so I was angry about the Brits. However, as I grew up more, I gradually learned that Chinese government has not spent enough effort preserving national treasures, and some of them were badly damaged or not well preserved. Then I realized that British Museum may be a better place for them. Although it’s sad that they’re taken out of their original context, which would enable people to appreciate more of its cultural value, they can last longer in British Museum and be appreciated by people all over the world who travel to London.
It’s also really interesting to learn about the Ancient Greek and Roman sculptures’ explanations and stories behind. If I just looked at the sculptures, I would have no idea what it was about and why it was created.

In the afternoon, the boat trip to Greenwich was fun but cold at the same time. The explanation along the way helps me learn some of the interesting history behind these properties. Some of them lead to the very beginning of creation of the United States, so it’s fun the realize the ties and differences between these two countries since the past. At Greenwich, the rich paintings on the wall looked incredible just like those in St. Paul’s Cathedral. They were colorful and detailed as well.

Day 2: Don’t Shoot

Today was a walking tour. Led by our generous and adorable tour guide, it was an incredible opportunity to see such a large portion of the city in such a comprehensive way. Walking a staggering 12 miles and taking over 27,000 steps, London feels more graspable and tangible to me than ever before. However, this amount of coverage inherently takes time. Through the hurriedness of our demanding day, I began to mindlessly notice an interesting behavior amongst the group. This behavior, which existed amongst myself as well, became incredibly interesting to me. We are fervent picture takers. Whether for needing material to put on blogs, for uploading to social media or for sending as a “miss you” to mom, we maintain an incredible compulsivity to capture a moment and remember a time and place. How does photography relate to tourism?

Art philosopher and writer Susan Sontag famously coined “to collect photographs is to collect the world.” In her famous essay In Plato’s Cave, she beautifully presents us with a metaphor. She argues for the imprisonment of humanity within Plato’s Cave, a cave in which the shadows cast within the cave sourced from subjects outside of the cave are mistaken for reality. Sontag compares the allegory of these shadows to photos: they are not real. Speaking to the compulsivity within us to photograph, she writes “photographs will offer indisputable evidence that the trip was made, that the program was carried out, that fun was had.” A way of certifying experience, taking photographs is also a way of refusing it—by limiting experience into an image, a souvenir. We want to be able to go back and experience our experience over again through looking at the digitalization of a flattened world unconcerned with us. Photography has become one of the principal devices for experiencing something, for giving an appearance of participation. Fittingly, “ In end-of-the-century London, Samuel Butler complained that “there is a photographer in every bush, going about like a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour.” The photographer is now charging real beasts, beleaguered and too rare to kill. Guns have metamorphosed into cameras in this earnest comedy, the ecology safari, because nature has ceased to be what it always had been–what people needed protection from. Now nature–tamed, endangered, mortal–needs to be protected from people. When we are afraid, we shoot. But when we are nostalgic, we take pictures. Most tourists feel compelled to put the camera between themselves and whatever is remarkable that they encounter.

Thinking about the metaphors for photography and film: to load, to aim, to shoot, to take. Also, it’s the queen. Found on walk by Hyde Park

Yes, it can get rather philosophical. I think that one can’t leave London without a “Storage Full” notification, but these ideas are something to just keep in mind. When traveling to a place with the intentions of intimacy and cultural immersion, just remember the physical and psychological separation that can exist through the compulsive need to record.

Above all, soak in your experiences, live in the moment and let places inspire you.

Goodnight little birds

London 3

Usually, I’m not one for natural history museums. Though all the stuff is cool, the information surrounding these artifacts from the past overwhelms me and always leaves me in a state of anxiety, trying to read up and remember every fact so as not to see ignorant of how times have changed. However, in the Brutish museum I was excited to find many pieces that fit ,y interests. My mothers side being Japanese, I immediately sought out the rooms with Asian culture artifacts to immerse myself more into my mothers childhood lifestyle.

A Japanese Kimono and table mirror

A Japanese Kimono and table mirror

I’ve always been interested in learning more about the culture, and by exploring these rooms I felt like I understood my family a little better. I also greatly appreciate the art style of Japan, so once again I jumped at the opportunity to go look at prints made in asia.

image

While my favorite pieces, one being the iconic Great Wave, if there were not found by me, this piece definitely is high up. I appreciate the stunning effect the muticolour lines adds to the picture itself, as it almost looks like an oil spill smudged across the print.

Aside from my that, I also found a connection to my dad and my other, who loved Chess. My dad even bought an extravegant marble chess set when he visited Europe once that we now have display on our dining room table. Luckily, the Lewis Chess set was on the list of “things you can’t miss” and I’m glad I didn’t.

Lewis Chess Set

Lewis Chess Set

Aside from the museum, I ended the day with a peaceful stroll through Greenwich with some cool people, a nice end to the day.

image

Day 3: When Beauty Is Common

“I start really missing London when I go away. I have a little flat, but very central. I live above a pub and you’d think it’d be a nightmare, but I like hearing the music and it’s quite comforting.”-Ellie Goulding

It’s Day 3, and I am finally starting to feel at home in this city. In particular today, I got a taste of what life in London is like from our visit to Greenwich.

I was blown away by the Royal Banqueting Hall, Royal Chapel, and Queen’s House, today. I was really hit by this idea that has been flickering in the back of my mind thus far: All of this is normal for Londoners! That awe we felt when we saw St. Paul’s peeking between two high rises for the first time? That excitement we felt walking along the Thames? These treasures are simply a part of the fabric of Londoners’s lives-they might even be used to them! What would that be like, to live in a place where you could expect to see so much beauty on a day to day basis?

image

Afterwards, some of us stayed in Greenwich and shopped and ate at Jamie Oliver’s Italian restaurant. The shops were so cute, and the restaurant was so quaint and the food was amazing. Since it was all in this cute suburb, it felt like I was getting to see a real slice of London life, which was awesome. It was so relaxing just to get to shop and eat and ride public transportation.

image

Jamie Oliver’s Italy was the perfect way to end our day!

I started thinking about what effect it must have on Londoners to live around such beauty, and I started wondering if their love and acceptance of the arts didn’t come from the beauty and history that surrounds them. Art and history are important to them, because they are surrounded by it. Perhaps American culture could come to have the same kind of appreciation for art if we were to put more value on what we already have around us and provide for new art to be made for the public to enjoy in their regular lives.

Even this sketch I did of an Anglo-Saxon cross fragment in the British Museum Great Court, situated between two incredible marble pillars, demonstrates the beauty which is commonplace to Londoners.

Greenwich, It’s More Than Just the Prime Meridian

The first thing I think about when I hear Greenwich, England is the Prime Meridian. Today we took a boat trip from Westminster to Greenwich. It was a chilly day, so by the end of the 45 minute trip, I was frozen, but it was so worth it to sit on top. I got to see so many buildings that I have already seen, but in a whole new way. I really liked when we got to go under Tower Bridge because we walked across it the day before and it was really neat to see the structure of the bridge from under it, rather than on top of it.
I also learned some new interesting facts such as that Tower Bridge used to be known for suicides, the site of this pub near Canary Wharf is the site of executions of pirates, and the water of the Thames is so clean that you can drink it, but there’s so much silt in it that you have to chew it at the same time.
When we arrived at Greenwich it reminded me of a seaside town because of the river and the wind. We first visited the Royal Dining Hall, which was where sailors would come to dine. When I walked into the space I was immediately blown away by the detail. The entire ceiling of the main room was painted. There were paintings on the other ceilings and walls as well. There was a huge arch with golden ornamentation and a dome at the door. This space was not what I expected it to bet. It was so much better.image
Then we crossed over to the Chapel of St. Peter and St. Paul. Again, I was blown away. I was not expecting such a small chapel to be so ornately decorated. There were these huge decorative circles on the top and a painting at the front of the church. The choir was getting ready to practice so there was organ music playing in the background. It was a great experience. The space was truly beautiful.image
After this, we decided to venture up to the Royal Conservatory to see the Prime Meridian. The walk was actually much faster than it looked, but the end was pretty steep. Once we made it to the top, we went to the lookout and an amazing view of London and Canary Wharf was revealed. You could even see the O2 Arena. The sun was setting too leaving a glow about the city.
Around the corner, behind a gate was the Prime Meridian line. On one side is the East and on the other, the West. There were a lot of tourists at this location, taking a picture standing with one foot on either side of the line. So, naturally, I had to take a picture with one foot in the East and one foot in the West.

Standing on the Prime Meridian

Standing on the Prime Meridian

We walked back down and through the park to the small town of Greenwich. We walked around for a bit looking for a restaurant. There were so many options, but eventually we settled on a cute place called Cafe Rouge. I ended up having Demi Poulet with Frites, which basically was half a roasted chicken with French fries. It was really good! We found our way back to the DLR and came back to the hotel.image
I really enjoyed my time in Greenwich. The boat ride was a great way to get to the town, while seeing all of the surrounding sites. The town of Greenwich was very nice and I wish I could have spent more time there.

Day Three

We started day three at The British Museum. When we arrived the exhibits hadn’t opened yet, but the great courtyard was open and we took some time to sketch this site. It was really difficult to capture the glass ceiling in my drawings, but they turned out alright in the end. Not many other groups had arrived yet so the space was uncrowded and we were able to enjoy it. The center of the courtyard was occupied by several different gift shops (one for kids, one with books, etc.). There were also a few different spots to eat that lined the outside of the space. The first exhibit the group visited was the Rosetta Stone. After seeing that we saw the Parthenon display. Major elements of the pediments and the frieze were here. Seeing these in person really made me appreciate the scale and the amount of detail in the Parthenon. After these specific stops we decided to wander around and catch some of the museums highlights. We saw the worlds most famous chess set, a head from Easter Island, and a set of samurai armor. There was also a lot of beautiful jewlery on display. We spent a lot of time in the Asian galleries. There were amazing collections of statues, ceramics, and prints on display here.

image

How about a little controversy?

image

After visiting The British Museum and seeing all it has to offer, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that it is an AMAZING museum. It does a great job at showcasing world history in an easy-to-view fashion.  Also, most importantly, the staff take care of the artifacts with care. I do, however, think that several of the artifacts there are not where they belong. I am referring mostly to the fargments of sculpture “saved” from the Acropolis in Athens. This piece of the Parthenon tells a story. When the Parthenon was whole, the story complimented the religious place it was presented at. This story can only be whole when presented at the location intended by the artists. To put this into prospective, if Big Ben was removed from London and was brought to, for example, Switzerland, would the contex of the building remain? Would the purpose of law and justice be retained? These questions are important when concerning vital Greek culture as well. With Greece having little to no authority in the world, they may never be given back what was stolen from them. I hope one day the English government puts this into prospective!

image

image

image

image

Continue reading

Day 2-3, Big Ben to Greenwich

The past two days have been so fun! Yesterday we did our big walking tour, and although I was very exhausted, it was great to see so much of the city! I really enjoyed the tour guide because he was so knowledgable about every aspect of the city.

Today we visited the British museum, took the walking tour of the skyscrapers, and took a boat out to Greenwich. The British Museum was so cool, and my favorite part was definitely the Great Court. It was so large and had so many exhibits that it was hard to see even a fraction of it all. Surprisingly, I enjoyed the skyscrapers a lot more than I thought I would. I loved the green aspects to them, and also really enjoyed learning about the shapes and layouts of them. My favorite skyscraper that we saw would have to be the cheesegrater (122 Leadenhall). I really like this building because of its shape, the entrance piazza, and the untilies core with the bright colors. We then took the tube to Westminster to get on the boat to Greenwich. When we came out of the tube station Big Ben was right there! It was super cool to finally see the famous icon before getting on the boat. The trip to Greenwich was really fun and a great way to see the city from a different perspective. After arriving in Greenwich we explored the Royal Dining Hall and chapel for a bit before being released. Afterwards we decided to go up to see the Prime Meridian line where there were great views of just about everything from the O2 stadium, to Canary Wharf, to the City of London. To end the night, we walked around Greenwich for a little while, eating dinner in a little French restaurant and exploring record stores. I had a great time today and I’m finally starting to feel comfortable navigating the transportation system here in London.

image

A street in Greenwich near the Royal Observatory.

image

Big Ben from Westminster Bridge!

image

Here is a panoramic of the Great Court at the British Museum, and a few of my sketches I completed here.

The more you see the more you know.

image image image image image image image image

The last two days have allowed me to see every inch of London I believe. My feet are sore but my mind is completely full.

Yesterday’s journey began at the point of London that marks the starting of the great fire. This is where we met our wonderful guide who loved London more than anyone could. The massive column that marks the site was incredible with beautiful carved stone stories on the base which he explained to us in detail.

The rest of the day was a wonderful but very long (12 miles) walking tour around all of London. Some of the incredible sites we saw were the tower bridge, London tower, the “egg”, Buckingham palace, all the way to a wonderful Zaha Hadid building in Hyde park.

This morning we began at the British museum which left me in awe.  The expansive interior spaces housing the most beautiful collections of history really reminded me of the magnitude of the space I was standing inside. The juxtaposition of these artifacts from around the world here in Britian did make me feel sad though, realizing so many cultures had their history taken from them and displayed here for the British public. I wonder if it would have changed if they were just exhibitions soon returning to their respective homes. Alas this is not the case and I was still impressed.

The day ended in greenwrich which was by far my favorite part of the entire trip thus far having seen the queens house and sailors dining hall which both were what I believe was the spirit of London to me.  Lastly we had an incredible group supper at Jamie Oliver’s and rode the dlr home. I’m exhausted  fulfilled and thrilled to see where London will take me next.  Now time for bed. Goodnight all! image image image image image image

Trip to Greenwich

Today was probably the highlight of the trip so far.  Riding on the boat to Greenwich was so much fun, and it really let you see London from a different vantage point. It was a bit chilly,  but the view was worth it and the crew was hilarious.  I absolutely loved their little tour of the city,  they kept their information informative but light.

20160314_153402

Greenwich was beautiful, I just wish the palaces that the Tudors were born in were still their.  I also really wish we could have gone into the Queens house,  but also appreciate that they are maintaining its beauty.

20160314_170453

The chapels were absolutely amazing! I loved the detail and intricacy in the painted chapel was unbelievable. The perspective that was created through painting was very impressive.  I really appreciate the nods to the nautical lifestyle through out the St. Paul and St. Peter chapel.  The rest of it was so ornate and then you would see a subtle anchor or mermaid.

20160314_165020

20160314_165130

It was also nice to relax in Greenwich with some new friends after we were done for the day.  We did a little shopping and found my new favorite store.  While we were shopping we had a good time talking to the workers in the store and they recommended restaurants for us to try in the area. Of course,  the top recommend place was Jamie Oliver’s Italian restaurant.  It was the best food we have had since getting here and we had so much fun talking to the waiters and bartenders. The whole experience was just so enjoyable and really relaxing,  exactly what I needed after the long walk yesterday.

20160314_183945

Days 2 and 3: Extravagant journey

Days 2 was magnificent! The day seemed super elongated because we walked 12 miles.. yes 12 miles. However, every mile and every second of that day was worth it. The places we saw with David were rather spectacular; I truly didn’t think we would be able to see the Buckingham Palace but we got too. I loved that David was so knowledgable and so excited to be with us. He made us feel like we were at home when we are nearly 4000 miles away from Columbus. The landscape and architectural relationship between the Kensington Garden and the Princess Diana memorial was wonderfully shocking. The architecture plays a rather witty part of the overall environment because it acts like it was part of the landscape from the beginning. The Princess Diana memorial was seriously just breathtaking. It does not compare to any of the pictures at all. The Princess Diana memorial was completely different than say the Peter Pan sculpture or the Buckingham Palace and the Queens Park. They both were very abrupt when handling the relationship between architecture and landscape. I enjoyed both ways of developing the London area but the subtle ways that Princess Diana Memorial played the part of landscape and architecture.

Day 3 was seriously one of the best days yet! This day spoke to me most in the morning; once it got to the afternoon I wasn’t so amazed because I was still so hung up about the British Museum. As I mentioned earlier, pictures do not show the proportions in scale well at all. When I walked into the Court room it was seriously one of the best experiences EVER. I loved it! I was speechless and thought that I was never going to leave to go look at the items in the museum spaces. The architecture in there is spectacular because it plays on the idea of modern architecture but classic architecture as well. I seriously was amazed that someone could play with the different styles like that and yet make it so elegant and modern. I loved sketching here. I was totally moved by the different architecture and the different rooms that held the Egyptian, Greek, and Roman information. Everything was fabulous about the morning. I actually didn’t want to leave. I loved walking around the buildings in downtown. The Gherkin has a beautiful and rather fascinating structural system which I never thought about before. I loved the contrast from white to the glass as well. I enjoyed the different types of architecture in the city because it played a wonderful relationship between the new and old forms of architecture.

Loved love loved those two days!!

This photo was at dinner when we were waiting for our food to come out. Everyone looks wind-burnt and tired but it was worth it!

20160313_06433220160313_064403

These two photos were at Buckingham Palace which I was so totally excited about! Words can not express how happy I am that we got to see Buckingham Palace!

thumb_IMG_6603_1024

thumb_IMG_6604_1024

The British Museum was definitely my favorite sketch so far on this trip. Truly so blessed to be in London!

London Day 3

Similar to the first two days of the trip, we got to see many amazing buildings and interesting  things. Out of all of the great things we did today, I would have to say my favorite thing would have to be the British Museum. The Great Court alone was worth the trip there and was incredible to see and even bigger than I thought it would be. When we were meeting before we got to leave I was able to capture a picture with shadows being casted, which was great!

image

This picture doesn’t have the shadows on it, but it also made the Great Court very special.

image

My favorite exhibit would have to be Nereid monument. It was great to see such a wonderful piece of history! I was amazed at how many people were there sketching it, even though many of them were in elementary school.

image

Another great exhibit, and probably the most popular, was the Rosetta Stone. It was great to see such an important historic piece. There was also a brooch in on room, I believe Medieval Europe that I saw that was quite unique. image

Also in this section was a large pile of coins of the era. I thought it was very special to see these, especially because of the large amount of coins that there were!

image

The day was fantastic and included so many great things, but the British Museum stood out from the rest!

London: Take 2 & 3

Days two and three in London were just as beautiful as the first. Our walking tour, thought extremely long and somewhat exhausting, really provided a great overview of the city and showed the multitude of characters of buildings. And I absolutely loved our tour guide. He was adorable and told the best stories that further explain the history behind the architecture. The Tower of London was one of my favorite sites to see. I didn’t realize just how extensive the walls were outside of the keep.

image

I also loved Tate and the Millennium Bridge. I know from class(es) that Tate was large but I never expected it to be that massive. Especially with the current exhibition, the space seems overly large. I’m also a huge fan of Tate’s book store and will definitely be going back there for our museum of choice. Millennium Bridge was something I was really excited to see. I’m a (huge) Harry Potter fan so it was nice to be able to see the bridge in context.

image

This picture seems like a very accurate description of the trip so far (ft. Millennium Bridge).

The British Museum was another site I was really excited to visit. I’ve always loved history, I grew up watching the History Channel with my mom, so visiting the museum was extremely enjoyable for me.

image

An attempted sketch at the statue of King Ramsesses II. It was so funny to watch all of the little kids come running up to see what I was drawing then look amazed when they saw what it was. It made me feel a bit like a renowned artist.

London Day 1

Wow, what a great first day in London! We visited some great sites! My favorite was by far St. Paul’s Cathedral. The  detail in the facade was something to really admire.

Perspective facade

Perspective facade

the interior spaces were also something to really observe.. The detail in the embellishments up the walls and ceilings were phenomenal in every way. I attempted to sketch some of this when I say and observed The Middlesex Chapel

Middlesex Chapel

Middlesex Chapel

The real excitement was of course the progression up to the top of the dome of the cathedral. First I stopped at the Whipsering Gallery to try and sketch St. Paul’s ground floor from above which was actually  quite challenging.  Then of course I continued on to the Stone Gallery and then onto (with burning shaking legs) to the tippy top Golden Gallery for the best view of the city!

Blurred view from the Stone Gallery

Blurred view from the Stone Gallery

I also really enjoyed visiting the Barbican earlier in the day. I really appreciate water features so the water was a real treat! I got some great pictures. I also really liked how the greenery and plants were

Greenery at The Barbican

Greenery at The Barbican

mixed in with the concrete facade on all of their back patio spaces.

The Barbican water feature

The Barbican water feature

To end the evening Rachel, Cori, Trace and I went out to find a quaint British pub where we ate dinner and enjoyed each other’s company. The pub was called “The Court” and wasn’t too far from the hotel.

The Court

The Court

Overall, it was a fabulous day and a fantastic way to start to get to know London.

Overall stats from day one

Overall stats

Overall stats

London 1

Eager to rise early for my first full day in a new city, I awoke in a lethargic state at 7:30 am, having got only a mere five hours to sleep. After laying in bed for a solid 40 minutes, I readied myself and was surprised with a bountiful breakfast, a glorious array of meats, starches, and proteins I hadn’t experienced in such a way before. We traveled to many places upon leaving the hotel, such as various small homes once containing well known literary geniuses, and a building dedicated to…well, building. The latter was exciting to go through, like a museum for the inner structures of houses and materials and such. But then, this site was introduced to us and my heart skipped a beat.

image

Easily one of my favorites for the day, the mini faux city of Barbican stole. Y heart with its inclusion of my two favorite things, waterworks and cute restaurants. Immediately I was oh so willing to throw my money at the next official walking past, my mind made up to live out my days here in London in this wonderful place. However, time is fleeting and we quickly moved to my second love of the day, my sandwich from Pret.

image

Ok this isn’t the most flattering picture, but I’m telling you it was a good sandwich.

after this, we made our way into St. Paul’s Cathedral, which was breathtaking in both appearance and atmosphere. After begrudgingly leading the way to the top of the 528 stair cathedral, some fantastic views were experienced. Hopefully the first and last time, as the final set of stairs had me bursting with fear, thinking every step was going to be my last. I finished St. Paul’s with my sketch of this small spiral platform (which I don’t know the technical name of).

image

I was very happy drawing this, as a group of French students had sat behind me watching me sketch, and as hey got up to leave, a girl complimented it saying it was “very beautiful”. I strive to make my sketches better as I continue on this trip.

Day One

The fist place we visited today was Bedford Square. The buildings surrounding it all had beautiful flower boxes and there was a small park in the center. After walking around for a bit we went to The Building Center. We expected to see a model of the city, but unfortunately it had been moved to another location. We explored the displays for a while and then hopped on a double decker bus to get to the Barbican. Here we talked briefly about “brutalist” architecture. The best part of the Barbican was the main plaza. There was a water way lined with plants, fountains, and a restaurant. From the Barbican we went to The Museum of London. The exhibits worked like a timeline telling the history of the city. There was also and interesting tattoo exhibit and a crime exhibit. After exploring for a while we grabbed lunch at Pret and then walked over to St. Paul’s cathedral. We got to climb all the way to the top and the view was amazing. The last stop of the day was a mall where we went out on to the roof and looked over the city.

Day 2 Long Walk

imageDay two is a huge walking day, but it’s great to see so many buildings with detailed history background. The guide knew the history very well, and I really appreciated that. I learned that in order to construct a modern skyscraper, it must be built within the context and help to improve the street views of London order to get public’s acceptance. In Tate modern, I was very impressed by the earth taken from different periods of London. In addition, when I was visiting with Melissa and Katie, we found a painting with a red “O” inside, so we took a group picture with “OHIO”, and that was fun. Although we did not go to Buckingham Palace, the large surrounding green space was very impressive. Before, I watched some interesting tourism TV shows taking place here, so it’s exciting to visit these places myself. Since I do no major in Architecture, today’s walking tour helped me better learning how city’s buildings should be relevant to each other in order to create accepted atmosphere and add more value to the district where it is. Green spaces are always precious and not easily obtained, and I feel lucky to visit such well preserved royal palaces.

Old vs. New

Day 2: Walking Tour

So other than my aching feet and overwhelming exhaustion, I think day two was a really good overview of what this city is all about. We walked about twelve miles and rooks almost 27,000 steps over about ten hours! The vast size of this city is truley remarkable. With London being a Roman town, it has undeniable roots. As the city has grown and changed over time, the architects, monarchs, and city planners have done a good job at maintaining the city’s true and original roots. These moments are clear when you see a 21st century building peeking over stone buildings that has been here for centuries. I especially loved the strong verticality The Shard dominates over the city. Overall, the connection between the old vs the new is very a unique element that separates it from other progressive Roman towns across the globe. London has linked the city’s history to make it part of its future and it will definitely be interesting to see how London further changes its skyline.

image

image

image

image

First Day in London!

It was very exciting to be in London for the first time, because there is so much history throughout the city. We started our day off with a short walk near our hotel, which included seeing the AA (Architecture Association). Later during the evening and a visiting student who is friends with CeCe gave us a tour of the studios. Seeing the AA was really exciting for me, because I had spent the first part of this semester doing research about it during its prime under Boyarsky.

20160312_095809

We took the bus over towards St. Paul’s cathedral,  but before going in we walked over towards the Barbican Center. I was so impressed with how well the center was layed out and how pleasent it was to be in the courtyards. I have always know brutalist buildings to be slightly heavy and uninviting, but this complex was a complete gem. It really further deepened my appreciation for brutalism, although I have always been a fan.

20160312_115401

On the way toback towards St. Paul’s we saw some parts of the old Roman walls. It helped as a reminder of just how old this city really is and how impressive it’s structures have always been.

20160312_115854

Finally we made it to St. Pauls, which was extremely impressive. The sheer size of the cathedral is overwhelming and is by far the largest I have been inside. What was really amazing was that you could climb all the way to the top and get a glorious view of the city’s skyline. The engineering involved in creating the domes is phenomenal amd it was great to see it up close. Although, I do think I preferred the crypts, partially becau

se there were less stairs and partially because they were simply elegent. The ornate decorations of the cathedral are toned down, letting the bones of the architecture speak for itself.20160312_164334

20160312_150901

20160313_200634

Day 1: St. Paul’s

The first day being in London has seriously been fabulous! I loved that I was able to get a perspective of the scale of St. Paul’s Cathedral. It was so beautiful and big. I enjoyed going to the top (although I had a hard time getting myself up and down). The view was spectacular and it really showed how big St. Paul’s Cathedral really is. I loved getting closer with the classmates and feel like this trip will definitely make my relationships with everyone grow.

I enjoyed the bottom of St. Paul’s because I got to look up to the double dome. I loved the sculptures, paintings, and even the tombs. The tombs kind of freaked me out but the experience was breathtaking. I really thought that the structural part of the double dome was fabulous too because you got to see the way he made it all. I thought that the first day was definitely a great way to start off our week because it showed us so much in a small amount. I enjoyed the first day so much! I loved the brochures that we got from that little abstract place. It was a great first day!

This was a goofy picture that I thought people would enjoy of Cori and me getting ready on the first day!

This was one of my favorite moments because the water was so fabulous. I liked the angle of this shot and the architecture behind it. It shows the landscape and architecture with beautiful lighting.IMG_6476 IMG_6474

This was the first time we were taking the bus and Trace and I were both so excited that that we kept taking pictures. The views from up on top of the bus were great. I loved that you could see so much of the city just from going on the second story.

Here is the stereotypical picture of the St. Paul’s Cathedral. It’s seriously so beautiful.

Our first day was a success!!

First Day Impressions

My first day in London was absolutely incredible. I thought I knew what I was going to see in the city but there was so much I never expected. I loved that the architects blended the new buildings right in with the old. In a lot of cities, such as Rome, there is the old section and the new section, but not here.

(I know this is from today but I thought it really illustrated my point.)

I also really enjoyed seeing the projects from The Building Centre. Almost every project I saw I want to incorporate into my studio projects in some way.

(Said project I want to incorporate into a studio project.)

St. Paul’s was also incredibly beautiful. It was much larger than I originally thought it was. It was a sublime moment when you first turned the corner and caught a glimpse of the dome. Then from multiple alleyways you could see a great view of the dome and see just how large the building was.

The view from the top of St. Paul’s was absolutely breathtaking.  Once you made it past the whispering gallery and, finally, made it to the top there was such a rewarding view of the London skyline. It felt like you were on top of the world. (But then you were falling down from the worst stair stepper leg day ever.)

(Panorama from the top of St. Paul’s.)

Day 1. “Sublime”

image

My first day in London was nothing short of impressionable. The beginning of the day was quite nice and slow walking around our neighborhood, but quickly picked up pace when we arrived at St. Paul’s cathedral. This first glimpse of St. Paul’s was an incredible peak into history as we turned a corner by a small coffee kiosk and saw the double dome hovering above the city way off in the distance.  As we moved closer it was obvious that the scale of this building was sublime. Situated within a plaza reminding me much of the piazzas of Italy this ornate structure seemed to encapsulate the entire area around it. The details of the facade seemed to come to life as I moved closer seeing the faces and figures covering the walls.

image

After we spent some time around the building it was time to go in. Waking into St Pauls was like walking back into history, and completely awe inspiring. Overall I was amazed as we moved through the double dome to the roof and then back down that the entire time every corner of the building had something new to offer my senses.  image image image image

St. Paul’s didn’t disappoint at all, and has been a wonderful first look into London. Oh and I forgot to mention that our fearless leaders looked pretty “fly” today as well. image

(And last but not least a peak inside the crypt)

image

Day 1: “Feed the Birds”

London is a commemorative city. With such a rich history, I love how the city exists as a collection of monuments; honoring, referencing and paying tribute to the past. What has most impressed me on my first day here is its cleanliness and the effort of its people to respect and maintain its charm. London has offered such a pleasant nostalgia, from walking to Bedford Square to taking the bus to St. Paul’s Cathedral. As I expected, St. Paul’s floored me. To experience St. Paul’s Cathedral is to experience a feat of human creation. St. Paul’s provides us with a truly marvelous epitome of what is the monumental. But what is monumental?

Personally, cathedrals always have their way of humbling me. Walking into this space, the presence of my own body within this space becomes visceral; the day to day subconscious awareness of my body immediately becomes starkly conscious. The vastness of its size tangibly minimizes me. Its breadth shrinks me as its otherworldly presence of the human ability to create dumbfounds me. It becomes a world and not a room. I become a piece and not a whole. I realize my tiny part of humanity. I can’t help but to imagine this space as a moment of convergence of all the slices of time; the hundreds of years of reverence, devotion and worship.

For me, that is the definition of monumentality. Not just its large size or its ability to commemorate a time, people or place. It’s monumentality exists within its ability to transcend time and space for its contemporary viewer. St. Paul’s is rich for its powerful ability to stir within visitors a wondrous moment of humble self-reflection.

It is in this moment that I am reminded of Julie Andrews. Random, yes, but her famous tune “Feed the Birds” in Mary Poppins famously incorporated St. Paul’s into pop culture. In this song, she sings to the Banks children about the Bird Woman who sells bird feed-“feed the birds, tuppence a bag.” Not only is this a beautiful song that captures the essence of the cathedral, with its whimsical references to the sculptures of the saints and the steps, but it represents a monumentality of the outside space. The steps of one of the most famous and revered monuments in London can house a beggar woman. I love this example of humanity’s relationship with the cathedral.

*But beware, the feeding of the birds is prohibited

Adventurous First Day

image

Today was a very eventful first day. We stopped at many places but I would like to focus on St. Paul’s Cathedral. St. Paul’s is a beautiful building that even non-architects like myself can appreciate the monumental magnificence of the building. Above is a picture of the top half of St. Paul’s Cathedral, which is a double dome. Our group had the privilege to climb to the very top of the double dome, and get a breathtaking view of London. The climb up was a tight squeeze (literally) below is a picture of the one of the staircases.

imageUnfortunately I did not get a picture of the smallest staircase, but did get a picture (below) of Taylor and I walking up the smallest set of stairs. As you can see I had to bend over to make it up the stairs.

image

Once you made it to the top the trek was all worth it. The view from the top is an absolutely stunning view of London’s skyline. (below)

image

Amazingly enough this cathedral was built 341 years ago before the era of having all the construction equipment we have today. It fascinates me how the whole building was constructed with blood, sweat, and muscle. Since there was lack of heavy machinery like we have today.

St. Paul’s Cathedral

My favorite part of day two was hands down Saint Paul’s cathedral. I have been to Spain and seen all their famous cathedrals, but I think St. Paul’s is my favorite cathedral I have been to, to date. What I really enjoyed about Saint Paul’s appearance was how everytime I walked to a new side of the church it looked completely different yet similar in style. Upon going inside I was even more in awe of the dome and the rich paintings that detailed it. I decided to go up to the very top, and after approximately a billion steps up to and then down from I can say the view from the highest level was one hundred percent worth it. I can not believe that some poor worker has to climb those stairs everyday just to regulate attendants on the stairs. However it must be cool to be able to see the best view of the city everyday you go to work! You could see literally everything from up there, the eye, Big Ben, and all the fancy skyscrapers. Another thing I thought was very interesting was the martyr exhibit. It was so powerful, yet modern  and it really made me feel the presence of Saint Paul’s cathedral. I thought it was the perfect self reflection piece for its audience.

My pics of the day:

image

image

View of whispering gallery

Continue reading

Day 1 (Differences, Differences)

“One might fancy that day, the London day, was just beginning. Like a woman who had slipped off her print dress and white apron to array herself in blue and pearls, the day changed, put off stuff, took gauze, changed to evening, and with the same sigh of exhilaration that a woman breathes, tumbling petticoats on the floor, it too shed dust, heat, colour; the traffic thinned; motor cars, tinkling, darting, succeeded the lumber of vans; and here and there among the thick foliage of the squares an intense light hung. I resign, the evening seemed to say, as it paled and faded above the battlements and prominences, moulded, pointed, of hotel, flat, and block of shops, I fade, she was beginning. I disappear, but London would have none of it..” -Virginia Woolf, Mrs. Dalloway

Today was a marvelous first day in London! While we spent most of our time out during the day, Virginia’s description of the London night as a woman getting ready to go out made me think of the differences I’m already noticing between London and the U.S.

image

1. Arts are everywhere!

From the ads at the tube station, advertising novels, to the lovely and dominating Barbican Theatre, the arts seem to hold a much larger place of prominence over here. My two favorite examples were Bill Viola’s art installation, Martyrs, at St. Paul’s and the poems of Bernardine Evaristo in the Museum of London which frameded the Paleolithic exhibit. I love how both of these examples really show London’s willingness to use art as a way to appreciate deeper (as in The Museum of London) and to use art to serve contextualize other art (as in the interplay between Viola’s video and the church decoration at St. Paul’s.)

image

2. Everything is Elegant!

Everywhere I went today, I felt like the space was elegant. What I mean by that is that it is filled with soft edges and curves and design that felt planned yet seemless. Even the Barbican today was softened by a well laid-out water feature and green space. I feel like everything seems more up front in your face in America, but here my eye was always captured rather than demanded.

I cannot not wait to see what tomorrow brings and what else I will learn about the differences between London and the U.S!

First Day

image image image image

My favorite part of our first day in London had to be the plaza at Barbican. There were so amazing wonderful things here, including many great views. Most, if not all, of the buildings were brutalism style, which is something that isn’t seen too often. In the heart of the plaza were different water features, which were my favorite part of the Barbican.  The different water features added to the plaza and would be even more spectacular in the summer. The side pools would be great to sit at and enjoy the day. There are many apartments overlooking the main pond (not sure if that would be proper identification of this water feature), most of which would have wonderful views of the plaza. I did notice a restaraunt we had passed which would be great to try outside in a little bit nicer weather since you would be close to the water. I found it interesting that the architect made it difficult to get into this part of the plaza, but once the em reason was stated by Troy, it made perfect sense. The architect had not wanted an easy path for civilians to pass through on their way through the city, which makes the area more peaceful and less crowded. This plaza had gorgeous views and is something I would definitely like to see again.

London Day 1

What a day! Our first day in London was filled with many buildings, many steps, and a lot of firsts. We started our day leaving the hotel at 8:45 and began with a short walking tour of the area surrounding our hotel. My favorite part of the walking tour was Bedford Square because of the town homes with colored doors and window boxes and because the second you stepped in, the sounds of the city disappeared. We then visited the Building Center, but unfortunately the large model of London was gone. After that, we took a double decker bus to St. Paul’s Cathedral and explored The Barbican and the Museum of London before grabbing lunch at Pret and going into St. Paul’s. St. Paul’s was so amazing! The amount of detail and the vast scale was overwhelming, and the views from the top were incredible. After sketching and exploring the cathedral for a few hours, we headed off on our own to Abbey Road, and took our first Tube ride, which was surprisingly easier than expected. We stood in a crowd of people all darting out into a congested street to get their pictures taken. We then ventured down into Little Venice and ate at an Italian restaurant called Red Pepper. This meal was very odd as the staff all spoke Italian and also had very thick British accents, so communicating with them was interesting to say the least. Finally, after dinner, we took the Bakerloo tube line to Oxford Street and walked back to the hotel from there, grabbing cookies from a street side bakery on the way.

image

This picture was taken in front of St. Paul’s, looking down Fleet Street.

First Day in London

St. Paul's Cathedral

St. Paul’s Cathedral

My favorite part of Day 1 was definitely St. Paul’s Cathedral. We first caught a glimpse of the dome through a slice between two buildings. It was huge! I new St. Paul’s was big, but in person it massive. It just seemed unreal to be actually standing under it. The first thing I did when we went inside the cathedral was climb the stairs to the top of the dome. Partway up, I made it to the Whispering Gallery. You could actually here people’s voices from around the circular gallery. The steps up until this point weren’t too bad, but the next two sections got worse. When we got to the stone gallery, the views were

View from the top of the dome

View from the top of the dome

amazing. Before we started back up again, you could look through a small, circular piece of glass that allowed you to see all the way to the floor of the church. I didn’t realize how tall the dome actually was until I looked through that piece of glass and everyone looked like tiny dots.  The next portion of steps were the worst.  They were see-through, metal, spiral staircases that only had a railing on one side.  I’m not afraid of heights, but on these steps I got a little shaky.  The last flight of stairs had such a low ceiling that I had to duck and the walls were so close that I felt very claustrophobic.  The long climb to the top was definitely worth it though because the view at the top was amazing.  The climb down wasn’t as bad, but I did get dizzy on the never-ending spiraling steps down.

Sketch of dome

Sketch of dome

After going up to the dome we explored the rest of the main floor of the church, then went downstairs to the crypt.  The crypt was kind of creepy.  To know that just beneath the stone floor tiles were human bodies made me uncomfortable.  After a quick look around the crypt we returned to the main area, and I decided to sketch the dome.  I spent about two hours there and I’m glad I did because I feel that I really got to see and appreciate the detail in the dome.  As we were leaving St. Paul’s, the sun was beginning to set, and we went up to the rooftop patio on the mall next the church.  The sun setting behind the domes was the perfect way to end my visit to St. Paul’s Cathedral.

Sun setting behind St. Paul's

Sun setting behind St. Paul’s

Earlier, before visiting St. Paul’s I saw Bedford Square, the Architectural Association, the Building Center, the Museum of London, and Barbican.  At all of these places I was very surprised to find that the city was very quiet.  I thought Barbican was really cool, too.  I really liked the contrast between the brutalist style of the building and the flowers hanging down from the window boxes of each floor.

After  St. Paul’s we rode the tube for the first time and I found it to be very easy!  I don’t know why I was nervous before!  We rode the tube to Abbey Road to take a picture, and walked to Little Venice, where I had the best Magherita pizza at The Red Pepper and saw the canal.  We easily rode the tube back to Oxford Circus and walked down Oxford Street to the hotel to experience London at night.

The Tube

IMG_0334Today marks my first tube ride. I was initially terrified of the tube. Being a college student without a car, public transit itself isn’t new to me. But a couple stories underground? Um, no thank you. However the tube is one of the quickest ways to get to your destination, because cars, stoplights, and potential speeding tickets aren’t interfering. So in attempting to get to Abbey Road for an iconic OH-IO before dark, the tube was my best bet.
Finding the tube stop was relatively easy, nearly all maps include them, and the icon is displayed clearly above and around the stations that lead underground. Once we descended and tapped in, we were surrounded by visuals directing us right away. Wherever you need to go you can find directions to within seconds. Because everyone pays before making their way to the tube itself, boarding and exiting happens within seconds (this was an incredible shift from taking the COTA throughout Columbus). The tubes are well lit, and seem to be well taken care of. The sides have large windows, so when entering a new station, it was obvious where we were because the walls are covered with the station name. Even transferring to a different line was an easy process.
I was surprised how much I took to the tube within the first few minutes of being introduced to it. It made some really scary sounds, and didn’t always seem entirely stable, but I’ll put my trust into the engineers that designed it. The best part was that I got my OH-IO in the middle of Abbey Road- despite a lot of honking cars.

St. Paul’s Cathedral

imageWhen we first went in the St. Paul, it was kind of dark and chilly. Then we went upstairs to the top, and the view was great. I could see the egg, the bridges, and the Thames River. The walking upstairs was a little bit of pain because the step was so tiny, but it was worth to see the top. It’s really hard to imagine people back in hundreds of years ago could design and create such delicate work, but I could not even make a good sketch of it…The paintings are religious and meaningful, although I do not understand majority of it, but it’s still inspiring to see grand view of paintings made on walls.
I enjoyed the whispering gallery’s view but not the guards. One of them constantly whispered to the wall to ask people to sit down. At first, I thought it was someone’s child being weird, then I realized it was the guard.

Also, I loved this morning’s walk. I loved park’s view and single long narrow street with houses. I wanted to go back to one the clothing stores, but unfortunately, stores close pretty early in England, and I couldn’t remember where it was quite well either.

Abbey Road

imageAlthough yesterday, day 0, started out rough with dizziness and nausea, day 1 was a great way to start our adventure. With a walking tour around the hotel and slowly getting farther away, we began to gain confidence  in exploration. After our day of scheduled activities, my friends and I decided to tackle the underground ourselves for our planned event for the evening. We were nervous at first. I was expecting something similar to NYC subways, dirty, dark, and very confusing. However, I was terribly wrong. The underground was clean, well lit, and very easy to navigate! We found our way easily and made it to our destination with one transfer from the central line to the Jubilee line. We made our way up north towards Abbey Road, trying to get there before it got too dark. Arriving there, there were plenty of other tourist from all over and of all different ages. Although we had to run out in the middle of traffic, pose, get the picture, and run out of the way before the locals got too annoyed. Some liked to beep their horns at all us tourist, especially the bus drivers and cabbies. Amongst all the chaos, we managed to get a classic O H I O image on the classic Abbey Road cross walk.

Bio

Hey guys! My name is Taylor Dratwa. I am from a tiny little town called Frankfort, Ohio which is about an hour south from campus. (Logan Fout and I are from the same place) I am currently a sophomore majoring in Architecture and I have an undecided minor but it will probably be music. I have actually traveled to London before on a student ambassador trip to England and Scotland in 2007 which is why I wanted to return and revisit all the places I had been before so I think that I am most excited for everything! Lol. If I had to pick I would say I am most excited to go back to Stonehenge. Hiking at buzzards roost

And the picture is of my two younger brothers and I from the beginning of the summer when we went hiking and Buzzard’s Roost Nature Preserve in Chillicothe, Ohio.

My Bio :)

study abroad

Hi guy’s! My name is Adriane Swetland, I am a third year English Education major with a Communications minor. I am from a little farm town 40 minutes north of Columbus, called Sparta. I absolutely love traveling and London has been on my list for what seems like ages. I can’t pick something I am most excited for because I think I will love every part of London. I just pray my iPhone photography skills can do it justice!

My Bio!

My name is Sandy Sechang and I am from the sweet city of Loveland, Ohio. I am currently a fourth year majoring in city and regional planning, which I love! I think planning is one of the greatest responses to today’s current crises. I am excited to venture off to London because I have a keen interest in green spaces and public transportation. I hope to drink dainty teas, learn, and discover all of the offbeat quirks London has to offer.

307650_10151159381616786_1936156172_n

Introduction

Hello Everyone! My name is Logan Fout and I am from Frankfort, Ohio. I am a transfer sophomore majoring in strategic communications with a minor in business. I am extremely excited to learn about the culture of London and then apply what I learn when we study abroad. I am most excited to visit Stonehenge.

Selfie

This picture was taken while I was sitting in class. (exciting I know)

My Bio!

Hello All! (This picture is of my older sister and I…I’m on the right!)

My name is Megan Nerici and I am a freshman in the Architecture program. Some interesting facts about me are that I am a barista at Starbucks, I love to travel, and I LOVE The Ohio State University. This has been my dream school for as long as I can remember and I am so blessed to able to travel to such a great city with such an amazing institution. I am most looking forward to traveling to London to learn more about it’s vast history and culture and how it’s past has shaped the city into the wonderful place it is today. I can’t wait to travel with all of you!

Introduction

Hello! My name is Cori Medley. I am a second year majoring in Architecture and minoring in Engineering Sciences. My hometown is Bethesda, Ohio but since it is such a small town I usually just say I am from Ohio, West Virginia. I am most excited to see the Tower of London and Stonehenge as well as going to King’s Cross Station and maybe doing a Jack the Ripper tour (one of my mom’s conditions for sending me to London). Below is a picture of my best friend and me at the incredible Pompeii. Well, we tried…

Introduction

imageHello my name is Trace Martik and I am from Pittsburgh. I am a sophomore in the architecture program. When in London, I look forward to going to Oxford on our free day and seeing all of the interesting architecture that it has to offer.

Yichen Liu

Hi guys! My name is Yichen Liu. And obviously, I come from China, my hometown is in Wuhan where has one of my favourite food for breakfast–hot dry noodle, and I spent my high school and college life in Shanghai before I transferred to OSU last year. I major in landscape architecture and love drawing. It’s so sad that I will not take the trip to London for I didn’t figure out this course is related to the trip till I took this class! But really want to know more about the London’s fantastic history, art and architecture during the course!

This picture was taken when my friends and I were enjoying buffalo wild wings!

Bio

Kendra Zarbaugh

Hello! My name is Kendra Zarbaugh. I am a 4th year Bachelor of Fine Arts major specializing in Drawing and Painting. Canal Winchester, Ohio is my quaint hometown (just east of Columbus) and I currently live in Grove City, Ohio. I am most looking forward to meeting the people and tasting the local food (YUM) while I am stoked to see the art galleries and exhibitions London has to offer. Hopefully I can get some art done while I’m there as well. Below is a picture taken of me standing on a pier in gorgeous Christchurch, New Zealand where I completed a mission trip last summer.

ME

Block Party

Hello, my name is Melissa Block! I am majoring in Architecture (and possibly switching to Landscape), and I am from West Chester, Ohio, which is approximately 45 minutes from Cincinnati. Honestly, I’m excited to see everything, as this will be my first trip out of the country and I’m ready for a culture shock. If I had to choose however, I would say the London Eye because I haven’t been on a Ferris Wheel in ages and I expect the view to be grandeur. This picture is when I was in Milwaukee on a SERVitecture trip helping out Habitat for Humanity; after working, we would go explore the city, and my favourite places were those with the coolest fountains.

Erika Celestino

Hello!  My name is Erika Celestino.  I am a G2 Architecture student.  I generally consider the location of my permanent address as my hometown; as such, the small city of Forsyth in the state of Illinois serves as my current hometown.  Among other attractions in London, I am most excited to see Swiss Re, Hyde Park, Westminster Abbey, Trafalgar Square, and the Eye.  The photo of me was taken while my parents and I were on vacation in Los Angeles.

Erika_Celestino

Vanessa Lonigro

My names Vanessa Lonigro. I’m majoring in Architecture and Spanish. I’m from Collins, Ohio which is about 20 minutes away from cedar point and in the middle of corn fields. I’m very excited to see the touristy, famous pieces of London that are always shown in pictures. I also have intentions of visiting the Sherlock Holmes museum and the apartment he ‘lived’ in. image7

Katie’s Bio

Hi, my name is Katie Shipman and I’m a freshman this year. I’m majoring in Architecture and hopefully minoring in Math. I’m from Columbus, I’ve lived here my entire life. I’ve been to Europe before, but never to England. What I’m most looking forward to on this trip is visiting Tate Modern. This is a picture of me rock climbing in Switzerland.

image

Anthony’s Bio

Hey! My name is Anthony Iovino and I’m a Freshman majoring in Architecture with a minor in Business. I am from New Albany, Ohio although I was born in Texas and spent part of my childhood in San Francisco. While in London, I look forward to seeing St. Paul’s Cathedral, going on the London Eye, and simply exploring the city. Below is my brother, sister and I.

picture

Introduction

Hi!

My name is Rachel Wallace, you can call me Rach! I am an Architecture major and currently a Sophomore in the Architecture program. I am minoring in Design and I am from Bay Village Ohio (Cleveland area) although I was born in South Carolina and consider that more of where I am “from”. I am interested in going to see Stourhead. It is going to be absolutely beautiful! I love to travel but have never been out of the country so the experience altogether will be fabulous! Below is a picture of my sister and me on Abby’s (my sister) first plane ride. She was panicking haha. IMG_3679

Megan’s Bio

Hi!  My name is Megan Pettner.  I am a Freshman studying architecture, and I am from Darlington, PA.  I’m most excited to visit St. Paul’s Cathedral.me

My Bio

IMG_20150501_132228Hi, my name is Kayla Eland and I am currently a graduating Senior studying Architecture with a Landscape Architecture minor here at OSU. I grew up in Bay Village, Ohio, which is a small suburb on the west side of Cleveland that is directly on the lake. I am probably most excited about seeing the Tate Modern while we are in London because I have grown to really appreciate Herzog and de Meuron over my past trips to Europe and I also really love large art exhibitions. I am also hoping that I can catch a play on night, becsuse I have grown up going to the theatre and have always heard that London is the Broadway of Europe.

Becca Finkes

Hey! My name is Becca Finkes. I’m a freshmen architecture major. I’m from West Chester, OH. I am most excited for Tate Modern!image

Introduction

capture

Hi, everyone! My name is Alice; I’m from China, and I major in Math. I am most excited to see the British Museum in London.