My First Day

My first day in London was exciting, full, and pleasant. Several key thoughts and observations appeared in my mind owing to my experience on my first day in the city.  To begin with, I find that though the British possess the inclination towards progression, forward-thinking, and development (for instance, London introduced the world’s first sewer system; the world’s first department store; and the world’s first underground train system), they are conscious to celebrate their history (for instance, notable Brits are buried at Westminster Abbey and St. Paul’s Cathedral; signages that indicate the former residences of past notable individuals are found on the facades of the buildings at Bedford Square; and the Museum of London was established to serve as the venue that would record the events that shape the city of London).  The British seem interested in coupling the past with the present as seen by the presence of skyscrapers that were not only built via modern technology and engineering, but were designed to preserve the sight lines that lead to St. Paul’s Cathedral, a building that encapsulates centuries-worth of London history.  Second, the Barbican Centre surprised me in a positive way.  Brutalism, which is the style of the buildings of the center, can be cold and uninviting; however, the harshness and the hardness of the concrete are tempered and softened by the vibrancy of the greenery and the fluidity of the water.  The involvement of reciprocal invasion between water and walkable area in the design of the plaza is smart and sensible as it engages the residents with their outdoor environment.  The center serves as ideal public housing owing to the level of amenities available for the residents.  Third, viewing the city from the roof deck of One New Change was an ideal way to cap off my first day in London as doing so not only allowed me to view St. Paul’s Cathedral from above ground, but also in relevance to the contemporary buildings.  The opportunity provided me a glimpse of the buildings I would visit, along with my classmates, in subsequent days.

image

* The iconic facade of St. Paul’s Cathedral

image

* The dome of St. Paul’s Cathedral viewed at sunset from the roof deck of One New Change

image     image

* At the plaza of Barbican Centre, water invades walkable area and walkable area invades water

image

* A sketch of a door found at St. Paul’s Cathedral