Currently, I am engaged in the first three letters of goals. For global awareness, I am taking French and in the future, I am planning on continuing my studies to obtain a minor. Outside of coursework, I love attending events such as the Study Abroad Expo, the Asian culture fair hosted by APIDA, and the culture fair outside of Hagerty Hall. If I find the time, I would like to join French Club or some other francophone club, or a club to speak Chinese and explore Chinese culture. Perhaps in October, I will attend an organization that cooks and enjoys Chinese cuisine. Within the next four years, I would like to study abroad in a francophone country. Hopefully, I will have the opportunity to join a May trip to France or maybe to Quebec. Even outside of the opportunities that OSU offers, I am speaking to native French speakers through Snapchat to practice my French and to gain a better understanding of French culture. I also keep in contact with my relatives in China to better understand Chinese culture and my identity.

Considering original inquiry, I have recently joined an undergraduate computer science research opportunity presented by Dr. Stewart. Although I’m not doing original research since I don’t have the skills yet, I am building on those skills by reading and analyzing published research papers. If I enjoy this experience, I hope to further pursue research and maybe pursue a PhD. If I continue with research, I would like to study computer graphics and animation or agriculture and the environment.

As for academic enrichment, I’m currently taking challenging courses such as honors English, mathematics, and French. Even with general education requirements, I would like to challenge myself and to dive deeper into and explore a variety of topics. Right now, I am also a part of ACM-W, a computer science student organization, and EcoCar, a student organization that competes in a challenge to make a car more fuel-efficient. Both of these organizations help me build upon my communication, collaboration, and critical thinking skills. I’m learning more about networking, programming, and different branches of computer science such as cybersecurity and machine learning. I chose computer and information science as my major because I’ve always loved computer science. Combined with my love for art, I would like to specialize in computer graphics, animation, and game design. Additionally, I would like to take courses in machine learning and artificial intelligence. Moreover, I want to minor in French because I want to have a more fulfilling experience in the future when I visit a francophone country.

As for leadership development, I’m applying to various summer computer science internships. Hopefully, in the future, I will be able to intern for a company and gain experience working in a team and perhaps even taking charge. Undeniably, I will improve my communication and organization skills, which will aid in my leadership skills. My current undergraduate research opportunity also gives me the chance to present a paper in front of a small audience. This will help me become a better presenter and overall communicator. By developing my presentational and oral communication skills, I am as developing as a leader.

Currently, I am not involved in any continuous community service projects, but in the future, I would like to help with STEM outreach in younger generations. In the past, I helped organize and volunteered at a robotics and engineering workshop for elementary school students. I would love to volunteer my time to get more students interested in STEM through either creating more accessible online educational resources such as educational games or through special in-person events such as high school hackathons and the robotics workshop.