Service Engagement

Giving back to my community has always been one of my top priorities. I grew up in a wonderfully diverse and supportive community, with people from all walks of life wherever I go. From these unique individuals, I have learned the value of understanding, kindness, and gratitude. My community has given me the opportunity to connect and better understand the physical and cultural differences that may separate us, and those that unite us. I am thankful for my community in giving me these experiences, so in return, I am always finding ways to give back.

This year, I continued to volunteer at Riverside Methodist Hospital. Every Saturday, I would be at Riverside for 4-5 hours volunteering at the Red Information Desk to guide visitors and assist patients as well as taking calls from the Volunteer Office for discharge, delivery, greeting, visiting patient floors, and any miscellaneous tasks if necessary. I also began helping in the Emergency Department, where I restocked blanket warmers, belonging bags, food supplies, and visited patients to keep them company and allow them to feel comfortable. In addition, I was among one of the first to advocate for recycling by forming the Green Team and making sure that patients, visitors, and workers knew what was recyclable while also collecting and sorting through all the recycling.

On other days, I volunteered whenever possible through opportunities provided by Health Sciences Scholars and my personal resources. I especially liked Steps for Sarcoma and Hot Chocolate Run, where I was able to cheer on and provide water for runners as they competed for a cause. I also participated in BuckeyeThon, the largest student-led philanthropy in the state of Ohio for Columbus’s Children’s Miracle Network. Although I did not fundraise enough to join the actual event, I was still able to contribute what I had along with spreading awareness for the cause.

In the years to come, I hope to continue volunteering at Riverside Methodist Hospital while also extending my service to a wider range of activities. I have begun preparing to assist at Whetstone Rehabilitation Center, where I would be playing music to entertain the residents and help them in any way. I also hope to fully establish a new student organization that would be dedicated to supporting children with neurological disabilities starting in Columbus.

Volunteering and fundraising has allowed me to help those in need and give back to many families. Even if these actions may seem small, they can still make a huge impact on the lives I have touched and drive me to continue helping all that I can.