Volunteer Work (First Year, Spring Semester)

Dunn Dash Triathlon (4 hours)

I volunteered at the Dunn Dash Triathlon on March 2nd, 2019. My assignment was to hand out shirts, water bottles, and bagels to the participants along with showing them where they can get their results from the triathlon. A takeaway from this experience was definitely how communicative you should be with the participants. Since this is where the participants finish their triathlon, communicating with the participants makes them more comfortable after their competition.

Trash Kickers (3 hours)

I volunteered at the Trash Kickers – The Sequel Honors and Scholars event at Luka Park on March 23rd, 2019. Our assignment was to collect trash that was scattered throughout Luka Park and place them in the appropriate bag. A takeaway from this experience was how much of an impact we provided when picking up trash. When we finished and walked back through the park, I realize how clean the park had become because of us. It felt very accomplishing that the park looks much nicer because of the work we put in to clean it.

USAPL (USA Powerlifting) (5 hours)

I volunteered at the USAPL on April 11th, 2019. Our assignment was to help set up for the competition that starts on April 12th. Me and several other volunteers helped build the machines used for powerlifting and build platforms for the stage. A takeaway from this experience was seeing how a famous competition is set up. I was filled with awe when I saw the progression of the stage and the progression of how the competition was going to be set up knowing that I took part with the set up.

DSWS Graduation (1 hour)

I will volunteer for the DSWS Graduation on April 14th, 2019. Since this volunteer work have not been done yet, I do not know what my assignment would be. As a result, I have no takeaway from this experience yet.