STEP trip

As much as I love exploring off campus, this was really a treat. My STEP advisor had been able to get us a tour of the local Greek Orthodox Church. This was a splendid piece of architecture that had the entire main room designed and decorated in glass. It is absolutely gorgeous and you could feel how proud and in love with the cathedral the people were.

It was a great trip as it is not something that I would have thought about doing myself. I didn’t grow up going to church myself and it was interesting to get a history lesson of the cathedral as well as the biblical stories behind the glass. For example this dome is as wide as the cross over which it sits and centered where the arms meet. Depicted is Christ the Pantocrator and surrounding him is the 24 Old Testament Patriarchs that feature into the genealogy of Christ.

It was really neat to be able to take a anthropological perspective into something that was right down the street from me. This was such a fantastic trip and I realize how privileged I am to be able to see something like this.