Skull Cart

As an Anthropology student I have to learn about the three different disciplines of Anthropology: Cultural, Physical, and Archaeological. With APOP I have a chance to teach others about anthropology and get them interested in what we do. One of my favorite volunteer outings is to work the cart at COSI. WE work a few saturdays for kids and their parents and also on Cosi in the Dark for adults.

For this we play a game with the skulls encouraging people to put them in order from earliest hominid to present. Then we place them in order and answer any questions posed to us. This is my favorite part because there’s always so many unique questions and the kids are really fun to work with. I love these skull casts because they are such a fun prop to work with and its really entertaining to talk about them. I also get the bonus of learning new facts about these casts and the hominids that they represent. The older students are also a great resource of information.

It’s a great way for me to volunteer as I quite enjoy working with Cosi and their staff. I get to work with fellow students and gain more connections within the Anthropology department.