Year in Review

1. Global Awareness: Thus far, I have taken several courses that have expanded my world view and helped me gain a better understanding of other cultures and natures. Sociology 1101H and Chinese 4405 both were intellectually stimulating courses that taught me much about the experiences that citizens around the world have. In addition, I have participated as a member of the Chinese American Student Association here on campus and learned more about and helped spread awareness of the Chinese culture.

2. Original Inquiry: I have participated in research both at Ohio State and at home in the summer. I work in the Godbout neuroimmunology/trauma lab in the Institute for Behavioral Medicine Research on our medical campus, learning valuable techniques such as immunohistochemistry, polymerase chain reaction, behavioral studies, cryostat sectioning, etc. I am also working as a research assistant at Mercy St. Vincent Medical Center on a research project concerning the effect of emergency department boarding on the outcomes of ICU patients.

3. Academic Enrichment: My Honors Contract is structured for a rigorous schedule of coursework designed to challenge myself as well as meet the requirements needed for medical school applications and graduation with a Bachelor of Science in Neuroscience. I chose the GE courses I have selected to create a well-rounded education that equips me with better understanding of global issues such as social issues, economic intricacies, cultural differences, etc. Taking nearly 60 hours of ‘upper-level’ courses demonstrates my desire to push myself academically and pursue excellence.

4. Leadership Development: I am involved in multiple student organizations on campus, including Buckeyes Raising Awareness in Neuroscience, Buckeyes Against Alzheimer’s, Chinese American Student Association, and Nu Rho Psi honorary. I serve as marketing chair in Buckeyes Raising Awareness in Neuroscience, and maintain an active and engaged role in each of these clubs. These clubs are directly related to my major and future career aspirations and provide my resources to learn more about these areas.

5. Service Engagement: I volunteer at Grant Medical Center weekly during the school year. When at home over breaks, I volunteer as a Patient Advocate Assistant at the University of Toledo Medical Center, gaining valuable hands-on experience with patient care and service excellence. I also volunteer weekly at a nursery home in Columbus as part of Buckeyes Against Alzheimer’s, interacting with Alzheimer’s patients. These experiences reaffirm my desire to become a physician and provide me opportunities to give back to the community as well as gain valuable experiences in caring for others in different ways.