The Ohio State University Professional Exploration Program (PXP) provides an opportunity for underrepresented undergraduates who are interested in a health professional career, but have not decided on a career path, to explore careers in seven different health professional schools. Participants will explore career opportunities by rotating, in-person, through OSU’s College of Dentistry, College of Nursing, College of Optometry, College of Pharmacy, College of Public Health, College of Veterinary Medicine, and School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences, during the 2023-2024 academic year.
This year’s PXP program, set for August 2023 through February 2024, will provide an in-depth look at career options in the various health fields on designated Saturdays shown below. In general, the programming will be determined by each hosting college/unit and will be scheduled from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. but may vary. Prior to each rotation, the hosting college/unit will email the details about the day to the students. This is a competitive program with a limited number of spaces, so be sure to apply soon!
The Ohio State PXP program has been designed to:
- Help prospective professional students learn the various roles and/or scope of practice of the different types of health professions.
- Expose prospective professional students to the different modes of practice available in each health profession.
- Expose prospective professional students to each health professional community (ex. students and faculty) and learn about the resources available to them.
- Help students understand the admissions processes and develop into competitive and successful applicants.
Ohio State PXP Schedule:
Students accepted into the program will be expected to participate fully in their exploration by attending all dates below.
- College of Dentistry – Saturday, August 26, 2023
- College of Nursing – Saturday, September 23, 2023
- College of Pharmacy – Saturday, October 28, 2023
- College of Veterinary Medicine – Saturday, November 4, 2023
- College of Optometry – Saturday, January 20, 2023
- College of Public Health – Saturday, January 27, 2024
- School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences* – Saturday, February 10, 2024
*School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences will focus on graduate programs in Athletic Training, Physical Therapy, and Occupational Therapy
If you will not be able to attend one of the sessions above, you must get prior approval from Dr. Delgado-Nixon (College of Optometry). Failure to get pre-approval before an absence, may result in withdrawal from the program.
- A strong academic aptitude that demonstrates the potential to succeed in a professional school (cumulative GPA of 3.0 or greater, with a strong interest in science and math).
- Identify as a student from historically underrepresented and marginalized group.
- Undergraduate student at The Ohio State University who is interested in pursuing a professional degree and exploring their career opportunities, and have not determined their path, ex. a student that is interested in a health profession but doesn’t know which one to pursue.
- Students who have already determined which health profession should contact those colleges/departments to identify any program-specific opportunities.
Applications are now available and are due by Friday, June 30, 2023, at 11:59 p.m.. All students will receive application results by Friday, July 14, 2023, at 11:59 p.m. and will need to accept their admission into the program by Friday, July 28, 2023, 11:59 p.m. via a signed DocuSign agreement.
Please read the directions below carefully. Please read the directions below carefully. The following items will need to be uploaded in a pdf, jpeg, or doc format with your application. Please have them collected and prepared before you begin the application because you will need to complete the application in one sitting.
- The Application
- Unofficial transcript with courses and grades readily viewable (which will be part of the application)
- When you create this document for upload, please name it: LastName_FirstName_Transcript
Questions about the application can be directed to Dr. Vondolee Delgado-Nixon (College of Optometry) at: Delgadofirstname.lastname@example.org.