Artifacts

My First Week at OSU

My first week at Ohio State was so nerve-wracking. I think transitioning from being a child living under someone’s rules, being co-dependent on your parent(s) and family to take care of you to being an adult taking care of yourself, being independent is so scary. My senior year of high school, I worked a part-time job, went to high school and took college classes all at once. So, I am used to having a crazy schedule and that really didn’t scare me but actually not having my family around to make sure I have what I need is so scary for me. However, I made it through my first week at Ohio State. I was able to find all my classes with no problem and made it to all of them ON TIME. My expectations prior to coming to OSU were that I was going to have a first easy-breezy week. Which I did in a sense but then doubt started to creep over me like I kept thinking over and over, “Can I do this?” … “Do I really need to go to college for what I want to do?” …. “Can I make my family proud?” Those kinds of thoughts kept taking over my mind and obviously it did not make me feel good thinking those types of things. However, I am slowly adjusting to this new adventure in my life. I feel like if I keep a negative mindset then my experience will be negative but if I am positive then my experience will be positive. The more I keep trying new things, reaching out to different people, taking my education seriously and keep one end goal in mind and that is to graduate then I will be okay.

My First Semester at OSU

My first semester at THE Ohio State University flew by! I remember the moment when I first arrived on campus, I was so disconnected because I could not believe I was in college. Where is now I cannot believe I have completed half of my first year of college. It is bittersweet because although I am happy time has flown by, I hate to think that I have three and half more years of doing this all over again. My classes went well and I enjoyed all my professors. Time management was a hard one for me because I was trying to fit everything into one when I needed to practice how to space things out so I can get everything done without feeling burnt out. Still a learning curve for me but I see myself successively mastering time management.

My experience in Art Scholars was okay. I really enjoyed the Chicago trip however I do not feel like I grew as an artist. I wish there was more outreach with teaching students new artistic skills. I found myself doing my own artistic things rather than investing time in art scholars. Moving forward, I really have no idea what I want my goal to be as far as being in Art Scholars. The students are awesome but I do not see myself becoming a better artist in art scholars.