Approaching the End of the Autumn 2020 Semester

While my plans changed drastically for this semester, I feel that I was still very productive and able to make the most of my time. Online classes have brought new challenges, but I was able to go through training to become a hospice volunteer with Hospice of Central Ohio at the Wexner Medical Center, and conduct in-person research in the Child Emotions Lab where I work as an assistant. As president of the Bioethics Society, I was able to give presentations on genomic editing in humans, Icelandic abortion laws concerning fetal deformities, and the controversy surrounding early heart transplants in the United States. I have also had the opportunity to mentor some students considering STEM majors from the International Affairs Scholars program, while having a successful semester as an organic chemistry TA. I feel that I have gained many skills by teaching laboratory skills both online and in-person, and I have learned a lot from my students.

Unfortunately, it seems that my current research opportunities may be coming to an end. Finding new research opportunities in the midst of the pandemic has not been easy but I am applying to a variety of positions. Hospice volunteering has also been put on hold once again, but I am optimistic that I will be able to begin this position in the spring. While it seems that for the foreseeable future, I will continue working from home with my cat and laptop as my only coworkers, I am hopeful for opportunities that will eventually come my way.