Spring Project

Internships Across The Country
Justin Hamilton, Hamilton.1289@buckeyemail.osu.edu, Architecture, 740-827-6740

Description
The purpose of this project was to try to find possible internships for the summers following the one between my Freshman and Sophomore years of college. Due to my love for travel and goal to explore the country, I have decided that I wanted to look for internships outside of Ohio. If possible, I would want them to be in cities where I have family or friends so I won’t have to worry about housing costs (Seattle, Portland, Phoenix, Minneapolis, or Charlotte). I did my own work for this project. I feel that this meets several, if not all, of the scholar’s GOALS. It meets global awareness because I am searching for jobs outside of my home. It meets original inquiry because I am doing this on my own, therefore have potential to have no other classmates searching for the same internships. It meets academic enrichment because I’ll be expanding my architectural knowledge in the workplace. It meets leadership development because I’ll be expanding my skills as an architect and developing myself to become better in my field. Last, it meets service engagement because I will be working for others with very little if not no pay.

Process
My process for finding internships was tougher. Since I am looking for potential opportunities for summers that are not this coming one, I will most likely not get an exact answer on any. However, I will still be looking for opportunities and trying to make connections. I will be talking to my boss this summer, who is a licensed architect, about potential opportunities for myself. I also took some of the internship positions that were emailed to us by Angela Beer and jotted some down that I thought would be one that I may be interested in (there was one in Charlotte, NC that interested me). I will be continuing my search next year.

Results
Due to the reasons I described above, I do not have any results yet. I have an internship for this summer, but it is with a small firm in my hometown, which is a good start, but not what I want once I build my resume more. Of course, I will need to build my resume more in order to receive serious internship offers. I do have the internship in Charlotte to consider heavily, though. I’ll continue to research firms more intensively next year.

Reflection
This project has provided me with the opportunity to search outside of my home and get the chance to explore the country in the future. For years, I’ve always known what was going to come next for me in terms of where my life was going. Now that I’m in college, for the first time in my life I truly don’t know where I’ll end up in the future. This project is helping me slowly figure that out.

Pictures
Pictures included are the top prospects for my future new home.