Welcome Week Reflection

Coming into Ohio State, I was cautiously optimistic. But when I got here, I thought that welcome week was exhilarating. The events and activities set up got me excited to be here and it was a pretty good time to meet new people and get to know campus. I never felt like I was lost or overwhelmed because of the accessibility and resources provided. I thought that the Ohio State app did a really good job of navigating and helping me get out on campus and explore. Convocation was a really cool opportunity to come together as a class and officially be welcomed into the Ohio State community. The Columbus Welcome after that was fun too because I got to know a bit more about the city. Aside from the larger events, I really enjoyed the time spent within the Scholars Mentor Groups. I was able to be part of a smaller group and find people I can look up to and go to for advice throughout the year and in years to come. The first weekend was a really great opportunity and it helped get me situated before starting classes. I honestly didn’t think about classes much before they started. Part of the reason being because I didn’t want to face the reality that school was starting, but also because I didn’t want to set unreasonable expectations. I wasn’t sure what the class environment would be like so I didn’t feel the need to walk in speculating what it could be. I just let the classes be what they would be and approach them according to how they’re set up. As to adjusting to the entire college environment—I’m still adjusting. It’s weird not coming home to my family and my dog every day but I also like the independence of life in college. I can wake up when I want and go wherever as long as my class schedule permits it. So far classes have gone well and I enjoy my professors. They have made the transition from high school to college a bit easier and I am grateful for them. As for just living on campus, the aspect that has helped me adjust the most is meeting such great people. This is largely through the Scholars Program and because of it I have felt more invited. I know people inside and outside of my classes and can spend time with them whenever. As I said before, I honestly didn’t walk in with any expectations. I wanted the college experience to evolve organically and not with the force of any predetermined expectations I could have made. The first weeks on campus have thus far been great. I have met people, learned more about campus and Columbus, and have already learned a great deal about architecture. The Scholars Program has played a crucial role in this. I have been able to live and work with some of the best Architecture students in our class and am lucky to call them my friends. As well, the mentor program has helped me in getting to know more upperclassmen and in being an advisor when needed. So far, I really enjoy the community at Ohio State and feel more at home as the days go by.