The main focal points of the Honors & Scholars program can be explained through the acronym G.O.A.L.S.  This acronym stands for Global Awareness, Original Inquiry, Academic Enrichment, Leadership Development, and Service Engagement.  It is important to keep these missions in mind while navigating your undergraduate degree at Ohio State in order to make the absolute most of your experience and serve as a citizen of the world.

• Global Awareness: Students cultivate and develop their appreciation for diversity and each individual’s unique differences. For example, consider course work, study abroad, involvement in cultural organizations or activities, etc.
  • Original Inquiry: Honors & Scholars students understand the research process by engaging in experiences ranging from in-class scholarly endeavors to creative inquiry projects to independent experiences with top researchers across campus and in the global community. For example, consider research, creative productions or performances, advanced course work, etc.
  • Academic Enrichment: Honors & Scholars students pursue academic excellence through rigorous curricular experiences beyond the university norm both in and out of the classroom.
  • Leadership Development: Honors & Scholars students develop leadership skills that can be demonstrated in the classroom, in the community, in their co-curricular activities, and in their future roles in society.
  • Service Engagement: Honors & Scholars students commit to service to the community.

My personal G.O.A.L.S are as follows:

G – I hope to study abroad in either Costa Rica or Spain during my undergrad.  I was hoping to complete a study abroad program in Costa Rica this May though STEP but I am no longer taking part in the program.  There are multiple scholarships, such as the Wolfe Study Abroad Scholarship, that will help make this goal a reality for me.

O – This is probably the category that I am most excited and passionate about.  This semester I have joined the Language, Assistive Technology, and Autism Lab within the Speech and Hearing Department as an undergraduate research assistant.  This opportunity is something I have been working towards since I first learned about the lab at the end of fall semester last year.  I have really enjoyed working in this lab and have met some wonderful people.  Additionally, I have already been designated the lead coder on the project I am currently assigned to.

A – As a Speech and Hearing Science student, NSSLHA is a very important part of my extracurricular enrichment.  Last year, I applied for and was accepted onto the exec board and have served as secretary this year.  Elections for next year are coming up and I will be running for Vice President with the ultimate goal of being President as a senior.  I have also thoroughly enjoyed my experiences with this group and the opportunities we have been able to create and offer to our members.

L – In addition to serving on the exec board for NSSLHA, I have also taken on a bigger role with in 4 Paws for Ability.  This semester I decided to take on my own full time foster.  This has been absolutely the most challenging yet rewarding experience of my life.  Vita has been evaluated and selected for the 4 Paws breeding program so she will be a mother to future service dogs in training rather than being a service dog herself.  However, this is actually a compliment/promotion because the staff at 4 Paws is so impressed with her temperament and obedience that they want to pass her traits on down to future SDiTs.

S –  For my Year of Service Project, I volunteered at Bridgeway Academy, a school for children with autism and other developmental disabilities.  This was also one of my highlights from my sophomore year.  Additionally, I volunteered weekly at the Aphasia Initiative, a group therapy program for individuals with communication disorders due to stroke or TBI.  I have been volunteering with the Aphasia Initiative since last spring and it has been such a gift to spend time with these wonderful individuals and help build up their communication skills and confidence.