Week 4 : Composition

This week involved a series of small contour drawings of another still life. I was stressed about how many little drawings we were required to make, but once I started working, everything flowed smoothly. Drawing the same still life but from different view points really forces you to study the entirety of each object. You have to look at the shapes and how the lines connect with each other, to truly capture the idea of this assignment. The view finder we used (pictured below) helped with this. Not only did I find it easier to draw each square after finishing the previous one, but I also find pleasure in the final product and how each sketch shows a piece of the dimension in the still life.

One thought on “Week 4 : Composition

1. Great compositions Emily! I can see you found something interesting in the close-up perspectives. It made you really find all those interesting curved lines on the stitching of the backpack! I love how some of these studies edge on abstraction, but I can still sort of decipher what they are. I wonder what one of those would look like big — and perhaps with value (once we get to that step in the class)!