Diary of Systemic Injustices Showcase – COVID-19 & Indigenous Women & Girls

An important, yet often silenced discussion is the recognition of the systemic injustices experienced by indigenous individuals. More specifically, indigenous women. The United Nations focuses heavily on advocating for these groups of people all over the world and has stressed the severity the COVID-19 pandemic has had on indigenous individuals. Historically originating from colonial and neo colonial policies, indigenous women are less likely to be insured, increasing their likelihood for pre-existing health conditions. As we have learned, this can increase health complications with COVID-19. Besides medical insurance, indigenous women experience environmental violence (including water and land pollution), increased mortality rates in childbirth, and domestic violence. Domestic violence has been dramatically increased with stay-at-home orders with the COVID-19 pandemic. The presence of a language barrier is one of the greatest factors inhibiting these women from accessing better health resources.

One article I highlighted in a past diary of systemic injustice was titled “Our voices are being heard: Indigenous women in Mexico break down language barriers to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic in their communities.” Juana Facundo is a translator working with the UN Women’s Safe Cities and Safe Public Spaces for Women and Girls Program. She is currently working in Mexico to assist with language barriers regarding the spread of health information for COVID-19. She is working to prevent violence against indigenous women and girls. This movement through the UN is fighting against these inequalities and injustices that have been exacerbated by the COVID pandemic.

From an intersectionality perspective, the disparities these women face can be categorized based on their gender, race, ethnicity, and class. Because they face language barriers, many indigenous women are unable to speak for themselves and advocate on behalf of their own communities. In one sense, these women could be given the title of the subaltern due to their inability to have a voice in society. It is important that we recognize the importance of these injustices and bring to light how they have been exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic. I included the link to the article explaining Juana Facundo’s work in Mexico. I also included a link to a pdf created by UN WOMEN, explaining the reasoning and action behind the UN’s COVID-19 response in relation to indigenous women and girls.

https://www.unwomen.org/en/news/stories/2021/2/feature-indigenous-women-in-mexico-break-down-language-barriers-to-respond-to-covid-19

https://www.un.org/development/desa/indigenouspeoples/wp-content/uploads/sites/19/2020/04/Prioritizing-indigenous-women-in-the-MPTF-April-2020.-UN-Women.pdf

2 thoughts on “Diary of Systemic Injustices Showcase – COVID-19 & Indigenous Women & Girls

1. I really liked that you used this topic for your entry. Its such a relevant topic and to see how Covid can effect certain groups differently is so disappointing. I thought the links you provided were very insightful.

2. I loved reading about this topic, it’s one that more people should know about. I like your last points about the connections between indigenous women and intersectionality as well as with Spivak’s subaltern. I also wrote about an under represented group severely impacted by the pandemic, and it is so difficult to know that there are so many groups that are ignored during these times. I also agree with how indigenous women are at risk of health issues due to their unlikelihood of having medical insurance, and how the pandemic has made circumstances for indigenous people in general much more challenging.