Diary of Systemic Injustices Showcase – Peyton Herman

While writing about different injustices each week the one I wanted to showcase and is very prevalent in our society today is the discrinmation against girls in school, whether that is in middle school or high school. Thinking back to middle school, I remember a time when girls were not even allowed to enter the building with tight clothing on such as leggings as it would be a distraction to boys in school. This was a struggle for many girls throughout that time wanting to be comfy in school but had the fear of being in trouble because of a clothing choice, another problem was spaghetti straps with tank tops. Boys were constantly allowed to wear whatever they wanted, while us girls were constantly humiliated in front of others and being called out for tight black pants. Schools simply gave girls a dress code so it wouldn’t “distract the boys” but I didn’t think my shoulder would make a guy go insanely crazy, why didn’t the guys wearing shorts be dress coded and why could they wear white beater tank tops? These were questions me and the girls asked daily, they even went as far as bringing a girl up on our middle school auditorium stage while she was wearing leggings to show what not to wear to school. Instead of taking rights away from girls and the freedom of wearing what they want, they should sit the boys down and give them a lesson on how to respect a woman instead of violating what a woman wears and how “guys shouldn’t be too distracted” by a bra strap.

After doing some research from the original diary post I wrote on this topic, I found an article speaking on dress codes including race and gender, “These rules aren’t neutral: many target girls, and especially black girls, by regulating skirt length and headwraps,” a report on school dress codes in the District of Columbia that was compiled by the National Women’s Law Center states. “And the rules aren’t applied equally, either. Students report that black girls, and especially curvier students, are disproportionately targeted.” 

Comparing this topic to something we have discussed or read about in class, the first thing to come to mind is the reading of Persepolis and how Marji the main character went through many discriminating factors as a woman, especially with materials such as clothing. Marji was from Iran and later relocated to Austria, while being a woman in Iran you have to cover yourself up quite a bit to not “arouse” men. This is a very similar situation when looking at how they dress code us girls in school. 

Here are some images portraying what it is like for girls and the strict dress code they have to follow, one of the pictures show a boy wearing a women’s outfit and it being acceptable while girls have to cover themselves mostly up for it to be okay.

Sources:

https://www.edweek.org/leadership/do-school-dress-codes-discriminate-against-girls/2018/08 https://bmssopinions3.blogspot.com/2019/05/girls-dress-codes.html https://www.deviantart.com/eves-rib/art/School-uniform-code-584356928

https://bmssopinions3.blogspot.com/2019/05/girls-dress-codes.html

https://www.deviantart.com/eves-rib/art/School-uniform-code-584356928

9 thoughts on “Diary of Systemic Injustices Showcase – Peyton Herman

1. HI Peyton,

I really enjoyed reading this! This was definitely an experience I had in both public and private high schools. In comparison to our material this year, Persepolis explores how clothing can be an expression of our freedom and culture. Taking that away is a complete violation of us.

2. Hi Peyton,
    Great job, I got a better understanding of the discrimination girls face in schools. How attire is different for boys and girls. The problems girls face for the attire they wear. I liked the comparison with the reading Persepolis. I also enjoyed the pictures it really helped give a clear understanding of the issue.

3. The “Diary of Systemic Injustices Showcase” by Peyton Herman is a poignant reflection on the societal issues that continue to plague our world. If you’re inspired to share your own story or tackle similar themes, consider partnering with a book writing company. These companies specialize in transforming ideas into impactful narratives, ensuring that your message resonates with readers. With the expertise of a book writing company, you can navigate the complexities of storytelling and create a compelling book that sparks meaningful conversations and drives positive change. Whether you’re an experienced author or new to writing, a book writing company can help you bring your vision to life.

4. Blizzard may ban your account for buying gold from unauthorized sources. These sellers may not deliver the wow cata gold, or the gold may be acquired through hacking, which can also lead to a ban.

5. Showcasing systemic injustices is powerful. Fiction writers can draw inspiration from real-life stories like Peyton Herman’s diary to craft compelling narratives that raise awareness and inspire change.