Food Deserts In America

The example of systemic injustice I would like to discuss is the abundance of food deserts in low income, high poverty areas. Food deserts occur in areas of high poverty where there is no access to grocery stores or high-quality food. All that is left are convenient stores and sometimes fast food which offer empty calories and no-good sources of fruits and vegetables. Typically, food deserts occur in cities where redlining has disrupted the housing industry but can occur anywhere. In Ohio, Vinton counties only grocery store closed leaving tens of thousands without access to a grocery store. In the suburbs of Chicago, I have experienced driving through and realizing there are no actual grocery stores around me and only fast-food marts or convenient stores. In these historically high minority areas, this is a slap in the face because these people cannot supply themselves with the proper nutrition. A minority population cannot live the same as a dominant population if the minorities are unable to even feed themselves. Food deserts exist because the nearby population does not have a high enough income to be able to keep the grocery stores doors open. Typically, in very rural or poor neighborhoods, food deserts occur, and the effects of redlining are still present because the poor neighborhoods were usually grouped together. To change this government needs to subsidize companies to influence them to have grocery stores in these historically underserved communities. A community has no ability to prosper if they are unable to even meet the basic nutrition needs.

A study from Tulane University found that over 2.3 million Americans lived over a mile away from a grocery store and did not own a car. These areas tended to be in disproportionately minority communities. In addition to grocery stores being far away, most of these grocery stores do not have any foods that are culturally important or ones that help meet dietary restrictions. There are numerous financial incentives for members of these communities choose fast food or unhealthier options than the grocery store. All these issues lead to systemic injustices.

Study Conducting Food Deserts

https://ddc.ohio.gov/food-desert-series-1

3 thoughts on “Food Deserts In America

1. Hi, I learned about this from my parents growing up but the first time I have heard about it in school was my first year in college. I think that it is sad that in low income areas people do not have a lot of access to getting food to feed their families. The healthy food is so expensive so it is hard for low income families to get all the vitamins and nutrians that they need. For them it is picking between healthy food or saving money for the other bills and getting junk food. I have also notice driving through my old neighborhood several fast food restaurant and a few am/pm stores. A person can not get food to make meals for their children they can only get snacks with artificial flavorings and added things to them. I think that it is a big problem and no one should have to choose between their bills and healthy food or have a lack of places to get food. Nice work

2. With a country that has expanded so vastly its agricultural capabilities, we still struggle to cut red tape and feed our own citizens. Thank you so much for bringing this topic up and speaking so passionately about with facts, figures, and personal experiences. This is an issue that hits industry towns in Appalachia too. Coal towns are notorious for horrible nutrition and scarce health care due to the nature of their work. I think you did an amazing job and really had me wanting to research more in-depth on the root causes of this issue and possible solutions. Nice Work!

3. This showcase was very interesting and it really opened my eyes to this issue. I did not realize this was such an alarmingly widespread struggle in our country. If this continues to happen, the minorities that live in this area will continue to struggle to try to get out of their poor situations. Without a financially achievable opportunity to get groceries, the people in this area will continue to lack the resources to get nutritious meals. This will create health problems for them and create more costs in the long run through medical bills. This is clearly systemic because the system continues to tie them down and make it nearly impossible to improve their situation.