Sophomore Year in Review: 2019–2020

Research

In July, I left my position in the lab of Dr. Amit Sharma in OSU College of Veterinary Medicine’s Department of Veterinary Biosciences, where I did work with HIV/SIV.

Since August, I have worked in the lab of Prof. Daniel J. Wozniak in OSUMC’s Department of Microbial Infection & Immunity. My research focuses on bacteriophage therapy as a treatment for P. aeruginosa biofilms. I have continued to develop my skills in bench work and data analysis under the direct supervision of Dr. Danis-Wlodarczyk. Data I generated is included in a manuscript that is currently in preparation and will be included in presentations at scientific conferences and seminars.

Service

I have continued to volunteer with both Remote Area Medical and Habitat for Humanity. This year, I attended four clinics with RAM at:

• Hazard, Kentucky
  • Wise, Virginia
  • Dayton, Ohio (Emergency Tornado Relief)
  • Charleston, West Virginia

These experiences have been both insightful and fulfilling.

With RAM, I have enjoyed talking with the various healthcare professionals who come to volunteer their time and expertise. I was even trained for Narcan at the Charleston clinic. I really enjoy speaking with patients at the clinics, as well. The stories patients tell really highlights how people fall through the gaps in the American healthcare system.

Shadowing

I spent the semester shadowing Dr. Andrew King in Ohio State’s Department of Emergency Medicine. Although it was cut short by COVID-19, I was able to shadow for a few full shifts in the ER and really enjoyed the experience. I watched hand-offs from first responders to doctors, observed how a Level II trauma is handled, and even helped an orthopedics resident cast a broken ankle. Even aside from these more exciting experiences, I really liked the overall pace of the ER, and emergency medicine is a specialty I would definitely be interested in.