The Honors and Scholars GOALS align strongly with my own personal values. I endeavor to involve myself in experiences inside and outside of the classroom that help me achieve these core principles.

Global Awareness: In my life and experience, global awareness is about appreciating cultural, social, and religious differences around the world and within my own community. By exposing myself to a diverse range of experiences, I can learn more about and gain a deeper understanding of the backgrounds of my peers as well as develop a greater sense of empathy.

• I am involved in the Ohio State chapter Blueprints for Pangea. We take unused medical supplies from larger hospitals and distribute them to free clinics and potentially around the world for the betterment of the human condition. In developing countries, basic medical supplies that we take for granted could mean the difference between life and death. Through our mission, we are able to help those less fortunate receive the health care they need.
  • In addition to my biochemistry major, I plan on adding a minor in history. I am very passionate about the study of European history, and know it would be useful to my understanding of modern day society and how the cultural diversity that exists in the world today came to be. The coursework for this minor would expose me to countries with ways of life that are different from the United States and allow me to see the commonalities between them as well as their unique characteristics.

Original Inquiry: This value encourages me to embrace my inquisitive nature and involve myself in research and investigations that expand my knowledge through hands-on experiences.

• At the end of my senior year of high school, I completed an Action Research Project where students were asked to observe, investigate, and find potential solutions to an issue they were passionate about in the community. My project focused on foster care and the issues that could be fixed within the system. By conducting interviews with volunteers at the St. Vincent foster care center as well as gathering information through academic articles and databases, I was able to identify potential causes of the problems within the system as well as find a way I could personally make a difference. My group members and I bought and donated necessary items needed for the children such as bedding, toiletries, toys, etc. to a local foster care agency.
  • During my undergraduate career, I plan on involving myself in biochemistry research. This is the perfect way for me to gain hands on experience from a more knowledgeable mentor as well as learn what it is like to do research in my field of interest.

Academic Enrichment: This goal emphasizes the importance of achievement within coursework as well as finding opportunities to go above and beyond what is expected.

• During my first semester at OSU, I decided to challenge myself by enrolling in honors general chemistry despite not being an honors student. I have a passion for chemistry and was excited to take a class that would delve more into the basic principles and provide me with a strong foundation as I continue on in my studies.

Leadership Development: Leadership is a very important skill to have now and throughout life that demonstrates the ability to work well in a team and put the good of the group first.

• During my senior year of high school, I was the captain of my cross country team. I loved how it allowed me to help others and problem solve to benefit the team as a whole. While I am at Ohio State, I would love to find another leadership role that allows me to address the needs of others and better my local community.

Service Engagement: Commitment to service is the goal I wish to involve myself more deeply in. As I was growing up, I was taught the best leaders are those who can humble themselves by serving others. Through service I have gained a deeper understanding of the circumstances of those around me as well as what I can do to make the world a better place in small ways.

• In the past, I have often volunteered through teaching. I have always been very passionate about tutoring and using my skills to help others learn more and gain more self confidence. As I gain more academic experience at a college level, I hope to be able to volunteer as a tutor again for my peers.
  • I have also been involved in service within my Biological Science scholars group. We have volunteered to visit the Wesley Glen nursing home and interact with the patients during bingo night and other festivities. I also have signed up as a participant and fundraiser for the Biological Science Buckeyethon team to help fight childhood cancer. I plan to involve myself in many more volunteer opportunities within the Columbus area to help spread  kindness.