Attending a Campus Seminar

In this post I will probably seem like a normal college student, because the story of me attending my seminar presentation, starts off with procrastination. I read the description of this assignment weeks ago, and figured, they must have a seminar on campus like everyday! I don’t need to worry about this for a while! I was wrong.

The weekend before this post was due (also known as yesterday) I checked the psychology major website for me to find a seminar to attend so that I could write my reflection on it for this post. To my dismay the only seminar I could find for the while week was on Wednesday (the day the post is due) and it was during one of my classes. So that seemed like a no to me.

Sad that I was unable to to attend a seminar for my own major, I started the search for a different seminar I could attend. I started looking on the STEM EE website, which is recommended in the assignment description for this post. luckily I was able to find a seminar that fit beautifully into my schedule for the following day.

Due to my lack of planning I attended this seminar without any friends. When I walked into the room I quickly noticed that I was one of the youngest people in the room. Luckily it was in a big lecture hall so I didn’t feel like I got noticed too much as it was a big crowd. Even though it was a big crowd I still felt very out of place.

The only person I talked to while I was there was the nice old man who sat next to me. I’m pretty sure he was Scottish because he had a cool accent. He asked me how and why I had come to the seminar and Im pretty sure he laughed at me knowing what was going to happen to me.

When I tell you that I did not understand a single word of this presentation I am not joking. The title of the presentation was “Phenylalanine Hydroxylase: Probing a Catalytic Cycle with EPR Spectroscopy”. The words that I know from that title were “a” and “with”. So once I saw that being projected I knew I was going to be having a fun hour listening to things that I had no idea what they were.

I “sneakily” took a few more pictures of the slides as the presentation wore on but the visuals did not help me much as the atomic structures and graphs looked much more like magnetic toys than anything other significant to me.

In summary I think this was a very bad choice of seminars for me to go to, but It has gotten me interested in seeing other seminars, maybe in my department. I think that seminar lectures in psychology will be more doable for me as I have studied them more recently and the last time I studied chemistry was almost 4 years ago.