The Underappreciation of International YA Literature

For my first blog post I am going to be writng about how international YA literature is under appreciated. I know for a fact that it is hard to find international YA books sometimes becuase when I was trying to find a book to use for my book review I had to look hard. Lucy Nisbet wrote an articel about British literature being under appreciated. In it she said, “I’m constantly surprised by how few British books manage to successfully make their way to publishing houses abroad.” If she were to ask people in America about the books she read, most of them would not have read them. She even mentions this about her friends. She goes on to say how most of the book in stores today are written by American authors which I think is very true. People from different worlds can pick up American books no problem and understand them no problem. Nisbet said, “this is because YA is popular abroad because the books, films and TV shows consumed by teenagers in countries all across the world are saturated in American pop culture.” She is upset because there are countries of which she hasn’t read a book from and she doesn’t think that it’s right. Her reasoning for this is “publishers are still unconvinced that there’s a market for culturally diverse stories.” There are so many other great books in the world that no one even knows about because of how under appreciated Interantional YA literature is. When people think of YA literature books, they are not thinking of Chinese ones or French ones, they are thinking of American ones. I believe that Americans need to start broadening their choice of books to ones that are from other countries. Lucy Nisbet suggests a list of novels that she is particularly fond of from the U.K.

Works Cited