210 Baker Systems, 1971 Neil Avenue, Columbus, OH 43210
Tel: (614) 247-6985; Fax: (614) 292-7852
eMail: xia dot 52 at osu dot edu
Dr. Cathy Honghui Xia is a professor in the Department of Integrated Systems Engineering at OSU, with a courtesy appointment from Computer Science and Engineering. Before joining OSU, she was a research staff member at IBM T.J. Watson Research Center. Dr. Xia received a Ph.D. in Operations Research and a M.S. in Statistics, both from Stanford University. She obtained a B.S. (with honors) in Applied Mathematics from Peking University, Beijing, China.
Dr. Xia’s research focuses on using stochastic models and probabilistic analysis to provide insights and solutions for efficient design, control and performance optimization of complex networks and systems in practice. These range from cloud computing to smart transportation to supply chain networks. She is especially interested in fundamental problems in scalable design, capacity planning, dynamic pricing, scheduling and resource allocation, adaptive learning, distributed control, and security maintenance of these complex systems. Dr. Xia is the recipient of 2019 OSU Lumley Research Award, 2016 INFORMS George Nicholson Best Student Paper Honorable Mention Award, and 2013 IEEE INFOCOM Best Paper Runner-up Award. She held over 12 US and International Patents and published over 70 articles in peer-reviewed journals and conference proceedings.
Dr. Xia is currently serving on the editorial boards of Stochastic Models and the international journal of Performance Evaluation. She is also an associate editor for the International Journal of Information Systems in the Service Sector (IJISSS). Previously, she has served as the associate editor of IISE Transactions and the topical editor of Wiley Encyclopedia of Operations Research and Management Science (EORMS). She is the co-editor of Book Performance Modeling and Engineering (Springer 2008) and Special Issue on Cloud Computing as a Service (Service Science 2013). She was an elected member on the board of directors for ACM Sigmetrics Society (2015-2019) and has served on the technical and executive committees of many conferences and workshops, including ACM Sigmetrics, IFIP Performance, INFORMS Annual Meeting, INFORMS Midwest, etc. She is a longtime member of ACM Sigmetrics, INFORMS, and Applied Probability Society.
- Our paper on “Fork and Join Queueing Networks with Heavy Tails: Scaling Dimension and Throughput Limit” has appeared in Journal of the ACM (JACM), May 2021. (Impact factor: 3.58)
- Our paper on “Two-sided Wasserstein Procrustes Analysis” is accepted by IJCAI 2021 (acceptance rate 13.9%).
- I am an invited speaker at TeaPACS – 1st International Workshop on Teaching Performance Analysis of Computer Systems.
- Our papper on “Data-Driven Design of Microtransit Services via Optimal Transport and Simulated Annealing” is accepted by HotMobile 2021.
- Our paper on “An equilibrium approach toward the optimal fleet management of a Last Mile Transit Service” is accepted by TRB (Transportation Research Board) 2021.
- Our paper on “Behavioral Factors Affecting Adoption of Microtransit by Commuters” is accepted by TRB (Transportation Research Board) 2021.
- Our paper on efficient trip-vehicle matching and routes optimization for Uber-like ride-sharing is accepted by ACM e-Energy 2020 (acceptance rate: 23%).