My First Week at OSU

Stefanie Wyszkowski

Arts and Sciences 2000.01: Arts Scholars Seminar

My First Week at OSU

When I first moved into Baker West, everything seemed overwhelming but exciting at the same time. I had already visited OSU’s campus three times, but I still didn’t know how to get to certain buildings. Also, I was nervous about being social in my dorm and in classes because I come from a small, private, all-girl school with a graduating class of 24. The people in my dorm are outgoing and I learned that they are reliable in every situation. This helped me to adjust to the atmosphere better because I realized I can go to my roommate or my neighbors whenever I need help.

Welcome Week was a once-in-a-lifetime experience I will always remember. Everywhere was crowded with thousands of students and it made me anxious to see so many people. Overall, Welcome Week was entertaining and there was never a dull moment. At Convocation in the Schottenstein Center, I loved seeing all the freshmen gathered to celebrate the start of the new school year. Listening to President Drake and Dr. Javaune Adams-Gaston speak made me proud to be a Buckeye and excited to learn at the collegiate level. Another memory from Welcome Week was the Involvement Fair where I learned how to meet new people and engage in activities outside of the dorm. I signed up for the clubs I was passionate about such as Club Tennis and several health clubs. One thing I learned from the Involvement Fair was that OSU has so much to offer to students and I should be proud of be apart of a school that can build potential.

My schedule is drastically different in college than it was during high school. My parents aren’t here to tell me to be productive, I can’t drive wherever I want, my “school day” is shorter in college, I have to buy my own groceries/supplies, and I have numerous food options. I learned to create a different schedule everyday to make sure I’m using my time efficiently while also being on time for classes and extracurriculars. Though I enjoy the company of my family and having someone to depend on at home, I love being independent and experiencing the advantages of being a student.