Life as a Londoner

London is an absolutely amazing city that is so full of history and culture.   The hustle and bustle of the city added an element that made exploration so exciting. We started the study tour off with a bang when we were given the task of finding our way to Trafalgar Square by using the Tube (London’s underground subway system). The Square was absolutely beautiful, with views of the National Gallery, Nelson’s Column, and amazing fountains. This excursion sparked my excitement to explore as much of London as I could in the short amount of time I was there.

Sitting on the fountain of Trafalgar Square

While in London, I was surprised by how I felt like I was in a foreign country, yet I also felt very comfortable at the same time. Through my time in London, I realized what Professor Steigerwald was saying when he told us it was ok to make mistakes. It is through making mistakes that I learned how to be self-sufficient in an unknown city, while also (hopefully) not sticking out like a sore thumb as a tourist. For example, a few of us missed our stop on the tube, and we had to regroup in order to figure out a way to get back to the hotel. It ended up working out for the better, but this was just one of the problem solving situations I faced that helped me to become more confident in getting around the city.

The museums were stunning both inside and out, and they enhanced my experience by helping me to learn more about World War II in ways I could not at home in the United States. First and foremost, London actually played a significant role in the front lines of the war. This gave an authentic feel to the museums that I would not be able to get if I were at home in the states. The museums had so many different things to offer from a tour through the Churchill War Rooms to walking through the Imperial War Museum, I had the opportunity to see so many exhibits for the war. As I saw all of these exhibits I got to put all the little details of the war together into a big picture of how the war went, what it was actually like, etc.

Photo of the beautiful Imperial War Museum

I came to London with an idea of what I was going to see in terms of all the sites, places, and museums, but the culture of the people was very interesting to observe in person. Smoking is very popular, which took me by surprise actually. Young or old, you could not walk down the streets of London without passing multiple people who were smoking a cigarette. I was warned about the restaurant etiquette and how it is different in Europe, but it was still very different than I was expecting. For one, I had to ration my drink to last a whole meal because there are no free refills. Being so used to not having to pay attention to details like this, I had to make a conscious effort if I wanted my drink to last. Another thing that was interesting was the fact that once you got your food, the waiter did not come back and you had to flag them down in order to get your check. Then once you got your check, it was all together instead of separate. It was actually very nice not having the waiter bother you

Overall, London was a wonderful experience that enriched my knowledge of World War II events, while also getting to experience as much of the modern aspects of London as possible in the five days we were there. Now off to Normandy!