The Adventure Continues

I am writing this while traveling from Portsmouth towards Bayeux on a ferry. The English Channel is an amazing thing, and it has acted as an important defensive mechanism for years. William the Conqueror in 1066 was the last person to successfully cross and invade the Isle of Britain. This was also critical in the Second World War, as Hitler’s Germany was unable to control the entirety of Europe, and Britain once served as a rallying point for Allied forces, and eventually the starting point for the D-Day operation. I am currently taking a similar approach to France, where my next adventure will begin in Normandy and continue to Paris.

Before I get too far ahead of myself, I need to relate to you the rest of my experience in London. What an incredible city. Words do not exist that can express the beauty, presence, and history of this place. I was a busy bee while absent from this blog, and I was fortunate enough to visit various historic and national landmarks within London. These included Bletchley Park, home to the code-breaking operation of the Allied forces that helped to break the Enigma code and contribute to a multitude of dramatic victories that helped turn the tide of war. We also visited the National Gallery where I saw paintings by Rousseau, Degas, Rembrandt, van Gogh, Monet, Manet, and so many more. The creative ability astounds me, as I have not concept of the ability to produce such beautiful work. The power and splendor of these works left me speechless.

I also spent a significant amount of time simply walking and exploring London, and Vince and I got very good at navigating without maps. It was great to feel like I was staring to be comfortable with the underground and the general directions within London. While exploring I visited a monument created by Christopher Wren to commemorate the Great Fire of London. This tall monument had over 300 steps, and while it was a strenuous trip up, the view of London was incredible. I also was able to visit the British Museum, a collection of artifacts and items across many centuries and countries that have been a part or influenced the British. The museum held the Rosetta stone and other ancient Egyptian sculptures, tracked the evolution of watches and money, held Greek and Roman sculpture, pottery, and daily items. The age and significance of these items are incredibly powerful, and the museum itself was a strong symbol of imperialism, as the British travelled across the world.

My favorite portion of the trip thus far is Westminster Abbey. Solemn and beautiful, the tombs and monuments to important persons were extraordinary. I stood in front of Newton, Chaucer, Austen, Livingstone, and so many more great persons. While there I took a few moments to reflect on the Abbey, and my experience in London. I thought about the representation of so much power, influence, intelligence, and wealth. I thought about what I wanted to be, what I wanted to accomplish in my life, ad what I wanted to be represented as. While I still don’t know the exact path I wish to take in life, I do know that I want to truly impact how people think or act. That does not necessarily equate to fame or fortune, but I hope to have an impact on lives.

London has already beneficially affected my life, as I have gained new perspective, a greater appreciation for other cultures, and most importantly a love for adventure and new experiences. I know that I want to return to London, and will be exploring my options to study in England for my future education. I am saddened to be departing, yet excited for the next portion of my journey. I hope to be able to continue to feel the same for each part of the trip, and I am ecstatic to visit the beaches of Normandy next. Until next time, or as I will be saying soon, au revoir!