Reflection on a Lunar New Year Party

I attended a non-IA event, the International Friendships’ Lunar Party, on Feburary 1st at the Ohio Union from 6:30pm to 9:30pm. This event showcased Chinese traditions, food, and customs relating to their New Year Celebrations. I ate dumplings and spring rolls, I practiced my calligraphy by writing happy new year in Mandrin, I made origami, and I listened to presentations about the origins of Chinese customs. I even got to participate in a large scale kahoot game which tested my knowledge of Chinese culture. Throughout the evening I enjoyed getting to know people from different backgrounds and I enjoyed learning about a holiday I previously had little knowledge about.

One thing that somewhat surprised me during the event was the heavy presence of a Christian theme. There was a booth for bibles, a women asked to pray for my friends and I, and there was a skit portraying a biblical story. I did not realize that International Friensdships’ was a religious organization. As a non-religious person this originally threw me off slightly but, the people were very welcoming and I had a Chinese friend with me who was able to explain the non-Christian related customs used to celebrate the new year. Because the main religion in China is Buddhism I am disappointed they did not mention or attempt to include non-secular or Buddhist traditions. I felt the Chinese New Year Celebration was not the center focus, the center focus was Christianity. It seemed to mislead many international students who wanted a way to celebrate a holiday that is important to them while they are far from home.

Another thing that suprised me were the assumptions made about my friend and I. A couple volunteers asked us if we were conversation partners. Others were suprised when she explained that she is from Michigan and not China. I know they were understandable assumptions based on the event we were attending but, they still made my friend uncomfortable. Additionaly, I was confused by the mistakes made in the flags used in for a photo booth which gave students from other countries the chance to take pictures with the flags of their nationality or home countries. One of my friends who participated in this photo booth is part Eritrean and part Eithopian. Both of the flags for her countries were wrong. One had a purple stripe when it should have been blue and the other displayed a crest associated with a cruel dictator. It would be helpful to international students if they were able to review their flags and explain which ones are appropriate.

This event relates to the topic of International Affairs because it gathered people to learn and celebrate the Chinese New Year, a holiday Americans generally know little about. This event gave others like me with minimal exposure to Chinese culture the chance to experience the unfamiliar customs firsthand. Experiencing unfamiliar customs firsthand is a valuable experience. I can use this experience to enhance what I am learning in my courses. I can also use it to connect with and form deeper bonds with those from China.

Overall, I appriciated the opportunity to learn more about the Chinese New Year. I do hope however to experience a more authentic and inclusive celebration of Chinese culture. For, I have interest in learning more about cultures and religions that are very unfamiliar to me. Christianity is a large part of American life so I am very familiar with it. I would like to expand my world view through experiencing other religions and their veiwpoints.