Academic Enrichment

Informational Interview

Interview with Dr. William Wilmer

I chose to interview this person because he is my father and did not chose to pursue until halfway through college. I relate to him in this way because this entire year I have been an undecided major who enjoys studying science. It was not until a full year of Organic Chemistry and my success with that course that I concluded I wanted to study science and pursue medicine in my future.

Dr. Wilmer is a kidney doctor who shares a private practice with four other doctors. They are all nephrologists, but they also work as businessmen in the way that they own their practice and a few dialysis units. His roles include doing rounds on his patients in the hospital early in the morning or late in the evening. Then, he goes to his office in one of five locations and has appointments with about 20 patients a day. After the appointments, he usually goes home and spends time with his family. Later in the evening, he dictates patient files and letters for a few hours.

Dr. Wilmer prepared for his roles by being successful in undergraduate school, medical school, residency, and fellowship. He worked for Ohio State for multiple years as apart of his fellowship and then decided to create a private practice with his colleagues.

I gained many insights from this interview. From hearing about his long journey to becoming a doctor and the hours/ many roles it entails, I am astonished by his balance of work and family. The success he has had while maintaining hobbies and family time has inspired me that I can “do it all”. I still want to major in Biology and continue a career in medicine.