Global Vulnerability to Climate Change

On October 1st, I attended an event put on by the Institute for Population Research that depicted the use of big demographic data to measure global vulnerability to climate change. This event filled the academic category for International Affairs. I attended this event because I am really invested in learning about climate change and spreading awareness of it. This event put climate change in a new perspective for me as it described how the effects of climate change, specifically global warming, affect people. The presenter first started by giving an overarching distinction that he does not believe precipitation heavily factors into the effects of heat on people. He claimed that the two don’t have to be separated because precipitation has no significant impact on education or physical health in people. This was interesting to me as many researchers disagree and account many of the presenter’s findings to precipitation and not temperature. The presenter explained that there exists a correlation between levels of heat and the level of education people pursue. Specifically, the hotter the country, the less likely individuals are to pursue higher levels of education. The Institute found this true specifically when studying in Eastern and Southern Africa, Central America, the Caribbean, Southeast Asia, West and Central Africa, and South America. The researchers wondered if because heat impacts education, if it could affect the physical health of individuals as well. The researchers found a significant correlation between issues in pregnancy, including the health of the mother and the baby, and heat. Specifically, the hotter the climate, the more likely the pregnancy can be affected by issues. Overall, the presentation provided me with insights I had not considered when thinking about climate change and how it affects people on a day to day level.