International Affairs Study Abroad Panel

I viewed the International Affairs study abroad panel in the Smith Steeb glass classroom on September 9th. I walked in with apprehension about whether or not I wanted to study abroad. As someone who speaks both Hungarian and English, I have always found it difficult to learn new languages. In turn, I was nervous to pursue a study abroad program in a country that does not predominantly speak English as I know I would have trouble picking up the language. Thankfully, listening to the older International Affairs Scholars students speak on studying in Portugal, Canada, France, and at the White House really inspired me. Specifically, the girl who spoke on her experience in Portugal assured me that while all the people she worked with did not speak English, they placed her in a sector where the people did speak English and were experienced with working alongside English speaking interns. This, alongside the positive experiences the IA students had, calmed my nerves about studying abroad. Additionally, I found out about a study abroad program I may apply to. Specifically, the political science based program in Canada opened many doors to internships for the student who went there based on the portfolio the program had him write about what he accomplished there. The program also introduced him to prominent Canadian and American political figures; the program also requires a class taken on Canadian government which would surely broaden my knowledge of government holistically. Overall, the panel upped my excitement to pursue studying abroad.